Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    Yep, the last 8 weeks before my elk hunt every year for the past two years...it makes me want to cry on his mini events on Saturday. 3-4 hours of whoop butt by the time you are done.

Man I just don't have 3-4 hours for long workouts like that. I can usually get 2 or so on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
      Man I just don't have 3-4 hours for long workouts like that. I can usually get 2 or so on weekends.

Those are only as long as you want. The normal other 5 days are way quicker. Just depends on how bad you want it I guess. The best thing is it can be done in the garage with hardly any other gear.

You are gonna need lots of fitness to pack that bull out solo amigo, those hills aren't high but they are steep down there.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        Those are only as long as you want. The normal other 5 days are way quicker. Just depends on how bad you want it I guess. The best thing is it can be done in the garage with hardly any other gear.

You are gonna need lots of fitness to pack that bull out solo amigo, those hills aren't high but they are steep down there.

Lol not solo anymore. Met a New Mexico guy and we're gonna team up and hunt together. But trust me I know I'm gonna need to be in better shape lol

Comment

JT, shoot me your email in a PM. I will shoot you over a lot of his stuff.

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          Lol not solo anymore. Met a New Mexico guy and we're gonna team up and hunt together. But trust me I know I'm gonna need to be in better shape lol

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            You can't simulate altitude. The masks to limit air still aren't the same as actually being at 11,000'. If you work for a living and have other things going on in your life, you can't workout 4-8 hours per day either. If you live in Texas and have a job, you really can't full prepare for a backpack hunt at high elevation. You CAN build strength and endurance through exercise. You CAN lose some weight to make life a little easier. You CAN get comfortable with your boots and pack and gear. All of those things that you can do will make it easier. But you will still feel it when you're at 11,000' with a pack on your back. Just be as fit as you can be when you get there and take care of your feet like your hunt depends on them (it does).
            I would think mask has to help. Air, or lack of, was my biggest issue. We camped at 10,600'. I ran out of wind LONG before I got into muscle fatigue. I couldn't go fast enough to get physically drained.

I lost 15#s the two months prior to leaving, and 10#s the week I was hunting.

Comment

Anyone that has remained active during their life has discovered what works for them and what needs work. I've been hunting/hiking +- 1,500 ft at 8,000ft of elevation on the same mountains since 26 yrs old and have never carried 30+ lbs of gear with me on hunts. Bow weighs little, rifle weighs 8lbs, and my pack might be 10lbs (if ever) and only at the start with the water supply.

Active plus regular workouts year round as a lifestyle.

8 weeks out I begin this: 20 min of Stair Climber/Treadmill @ 15* & at 5 min intervals alternating with Leg Press 100lbs for 5 min intervals. I don't count the reps, just press continuously for 5 min and get back on the Stair Climber/Treadmill for 5 min. Total leg workout is 40 min.

Occasionally I'll carry a single 30-40lb dumbbell while on the Stair Climber/Treadmill, but I'm not onboard with adding a 50lb backpack to a workout.
              Last edited by tigerscowboy; 06-09-2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

If you don't carry heavy packs and don't like moving heavy weights, that is no problem. Get a bull elk down 5 miles into a Wilderness area or get a mule deer down up top. That is where it makes the difference. To each their own, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with going the extra mile in everything, especially physical fitness. It won't kill you anything, but it can make it a heck of a lot more pleasant of a job.

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                Anyone that has remained active during their life has discovered what works for them and what needs work. I've been hunting/hiking +- 1,500 ft at 8,000ft of elevation on the same mountains since 26 yrs old and have never carried 30+ lbs of gear with me on hunts. Bow weighs little, rifle weighs 8lbs, and my pack might be 10lbs (if ever) and only at the start with the water supply.

Active plus regular workouts year round as a lifestyle.

8 weeks out I begin this: 20 min of Stair Climber/Treadmill @ 15* & at 5 min intervals alternating with Leg Press 100lbs for 5 min intervals. I don't count the reps, just press continuously for 5 min and get back on the Stair Climber/Treadmill for 5 min. Total leg workout is 40 min.

Occasionally I'll carry a single 30-40lb dumbbell while on the Stair Climber/Treadmill, but I'm not onboard with adding a 50lb backpack to a workout.

Comment

As I stated, I keep weight fitness current year round with my own lifestyle.

Any hunter packing out an animal from wherever starts by assessing their own abilities and limitations. Get the work done in 2 trips or 6. Whatever it takes. Limitations are raised if hunter was injured whatsoever during the training preparation.

I commented that I discourage humping around a 50lb backpack of BS for weeks and miles in preparation for a hunt. I also disagree with an approach to a "modest" healthy lifestyle that follows the "crossfit religion". Flip tires, overhead squat, snatch, carry sand, and all the other creative moves. Let's agree to debate this in about 10 years and discuss all of the after effects.

Nobody here knows what anyone else here is capable of or has been through, but I can tell you that unless you have been a paid guide, you have not had to pack more game out of the Rockies over the last 24 years (uphill and downhill without ATVs or horses) than I.

Again, do what works for you. This is a good source for additional ideas and challenges that could prepare each of us for a successful, healthy, and safe hunt.
                  Last edited by tigerscowboy; 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                    As I stated, I keep weight fitness current year round with my own lifestyle.

Any hunter packing out an animal from wherever starts by assessing their own abilities and limitations. Get the work done in 2 trips or 6. Whatever it takes. Limitations are raised if hunter was injured whatsoever during the training preparation.

I commented that I discourage humping around a 50lb backpack of BS for weeks and miles in preparation for a hunt. I also disagree with an approach to a "modest" healthy lifestyle that follows the "crossfit religion". Flip tires, overhead squat, snatch, carry sand, and all the other creative moves. Let's agree to debate this in about 10 years and discuss all of the after effects.

Nobody here knows what anyone else here is capable of or has been through, but I can tell you that unless you have been a paid guide, you have not had to pack more game out of the Rockies over the last 24 years (uphill and downhill without ATVs or horses) than I.

Again, do what works for you. This is a good source for additional ideas and challenges that could prepare each of us for a successful, healthy, and safe hunt.
                    I'm no Montana Unlimited archery tag puncher but I think people just need to get out and increase their aerobic capacity, if that means flipping tires, who cares. If that means 50lb because A) they like creature comforts B)they can't afford top gear(and pack it self already weights 10lb) or C) water is scarce and they have to bring a bunch in D) they hunt out further and longer then you.....then so be it.

A debilitating Injury is the inability to over compensate. Thus why exceptional fit individuals can function at a high level with separated/torn/injured ligaments that would lay up most people...PCL's ACL's etc.
                    Last edited by Texans42; 06-09-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I did 3.5 miles with a backpack and a kiddo on my back today at the zoo. Then doing mulch in the flower beds tonight. That's my wod

Comment

Kids at the zoo is always a heavy workout day.

Comment

I'm a little sore today. Upped the weight on squats so my thighs are pretty sore and the kids have jumped on them all... dang..... day! Upper body is a little tired from pushing a little hard. Hoping to give it hell tomorrow night. Need to focus on core work and spend some time on the eliptical

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone have lower back pain? How do you prefer to work around it?

Comment

With back pain work on core strength. stretch ur hamstrings and hip flexors and that has helped mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                                Anyone have lower back pain? How do you prefer to work around it?
                                I'm a moron and gluten for punishment.... so heavy deadlifts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X