Mountain Lion LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Lion LBJ Grasslands

I heard from land owner Bill Looney that there is in fact a mountain lion in the grasslands area. It has a black face. Not a real large cat for a couger.

Cut the bull guys have any of you seen it with your own eyes or heard it ever?

Tool Master

I heard a couple of years ago a hunter was sitting in a tree when a female and 2 kittens walked past him. Not sure how true this is but this was told to me by David the forest ranger.

Comment

no tellin' where they might show. A couple of years ago there was one on the 5pm news caught on video by the traffic copter just south of DFW airport. Another around a school in South Dallas. Another on the North end of Lake Lewisville. They are all around, just not seen. Oh, we had one seen 3 times out on the eastside of Mesquite by the Trinity River.

Comment

Wouldn't doubt it they, cougars have a huge range, 10 years ago one was sighted out here in the middle of the black land praire maybe 5 miles east of IH-35 in hill county. There is almost no cover here only game animals are rabbits, coyotes and a few bobcats, not a deer for miles. If a cougar can pass thru here they can be anywhere.

Comment

Texas Parks and Wildlife has documented sightings of mountain lions/cougars in every single county in Texas. It does not matter whether it is urban area or rural, they are out there. This has been told to me by several Game Wardens.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Yep they are out there. Makes things real interesting. There was one sighted on the southeast side of Mesquite a few years ago near the area where one of the new schools is now located along the creek. I can't think of the name of the school. But that area has built up a lot since then.

Comment

My deer lease is about 2 miles as the crow flies from some of the grasslands and we have seen a big cat out there.

Comment

Well Im not saying theres not any up here in Wise County, but I have lived and hunted here all my life, coonhunting, deer hunting and I have had trail cameras out for 5-6 yrs and I have yet to see a mountain lion.
                Now I may see one tomorrow but as of today I have yet to see one.

Comment

hey prohound thats a fine blanket back walker you got there i used to live around Alvord [Rolling Woods]and ran coon hounds, on several occasions we treed a big cat, but when we got close he would jump and run again [makes for a long night] then we would be 2 days locating all the dogs. those ditches and bryers up in that neck a da woods are tough, we caught a glimpse of that cat running across Union Hill one night and he sure was big, this was several years ago but im sure that smart old cat is still killin chickens

Comment

Doc you probably made a turn out with a fella named Morrow then. I have never hunted with him but have seen his hounds a few times.

Comment

man your a genius prohound he used to be my father in law [not going to say one way or the other about that though]

Comment

Hey Prohound how did you and your boy do down at the Shootout on the Callahan, did ya make it?

Comment

Yea we made it, we didnt get a shot at the javies. We did stick some bunnies though.
                          I tried to get my bro in law to go check out a spot a friend of mine told me about well ,we waited till the last day. Me and Trevor had to leave out around 11 pm, my bro in law called me a 1 hr later he had one down and had seen around 15, he called me a few hours later an had his second one dwn!!!
                          said he had seen around 40 or so.
                          he said i guess you were right we should have been over here from the start!

all i can say is lesson learned. next year I will know where to hunt, I did find two sheds, one dandy and the other a lil 8

Comment

Sorry to hear that we did not fare much better, got there about 1:00 a.m. Fri nite and slept in the truck only problem is it was full of gear and not much room. Hunted on our own for a bit and then hooked up with Tim Hicks and his crew way out down south. We only saw one and he saw me right before I got to shoot, big un' too. Didn't have any firewood and it was kind of chilly and raining we decided to go down to Laredo and get a room and something to eat so we could come back early in the morning and follow Tim back in. Woke up and it was raining good and I had a flat, sure glad I didn't have to change that sucker in tne mud. We are looking forward to going again next year and getting a few. Going out to the grasslands this weekend to camp and do some shooting over on 3. Rick

Comment

We seen several javies where my Bro in law wanted to hunt but they were just down the way from us and they never made it to us. Had one hunter on the sendero that kept 'em from us.
                              The other place we went to was better, at least for my BIlaw.
                              What are you guys hunting on the LBJ, not sure where 3 is, but I knowover there on denton creek there s been a hog or two seen in that area.
                              I have to work and then my youngest has baseball practice.
                              keep your eyes peeled for sheds.

Comment

Working...
                              X