No announcement yet.

Protein Intake STX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have 1000 acres and have 6 400lbs protien feeders and the deer are drain them in about 4 weeks. going back this weekend to fill them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
      I am going to hold off on Protien This month due to the green up. Two yrs ago we had 70ins of rain that yr on the lease and the deer never let up on Protien. For the amount of Protien fed that yr I was disapointed with the horns come season. Sence then I have been trying to cut the protien off when I know the brush is better for them and then hit them hard early and late when they need it most. Anyone else try this or seen there deer getting to dependent to Protien?

That's sound logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
        I am Lucky to have Cowboys on the ranch yr around that is only a Phone Call away. or No it would not be worth The gas. In the past the deer would turn off but, after our fourth season I have about ten feeders that they hit hard regardless how green it is. The other 9 feeders would slow down a little. Come the end of June when the brush starts drying out I will go thru 50lbs a days across the board.
        I totally understand where your coming from, and everything you have said makes perfect since. Me, personally, I want my deer to have access to protein at all times. Lord knows I hate those feed bills too, but I just cut the check and try not to moap about it for to long. Basically what I am saying is me, I would not turn off the feeders, just wouldnt want the what if's stuck in the back of my mind. But understand if you did, if you dont think its helping you to keep it out during the green times, then by all means cut them off. You never know, you might be on to something.

Comment

ALL but one of our 8 1000lb pro-feeders were empty (about 4 weeks from last fill)... The 2000lb feeder/trough was still pretty full...but it usually is.
          They are hitting it pretty hard..surprising so since everything is still really green.
          Just finished filling them this weekend... which reminds me to look into that leaf-blower feed blowing system.....cuz...lifting/pouring 8000 lbs of feed in 101 temps ...sucks ..it seems i always forget how much until we get out there..

Saw quite a few antlers starting to fork....

Comment

Yeah I heard the burn ban's back on around Cotulla.

Comment

It looks like they slowed down some after the rain at our place. Filled feeders on 5/24 and only had around 100 lbs missing from the hardest hit feeders when I was back down there on 6/2.

Comment

Building one....

Comment

Was at the ranch yesterday and Monday. Deer are eating protein but not what I would say a whole lot. A couple feeders were hit pretty hard but for the most part for this time of year, I would say below average. The ranch is drying up but between mesquite beans, ripe pear, and persimons, I think mother nature is still helping out a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X