No announcement yet.

Rifle accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can some of you 1/2” shooters post some 5 shot groups? We will see if your hunting/carry rifle meets your standards!
    Last edited by mavrick; 12-07-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I like .5 moa or better but have killed deer with an old lever gun that might shoot 3” on a good day. To each their own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rifle accuracy

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
        Can some of you 1/2” shooters post some 5 shot groups? We will see if your hunting/carry rifle meets your standards!
        First one is a 1 shot group but he had it coming.

400 and something northern Montana

It was out there. Botswana boarder

Baby possum. If you zoom in my blind is at the top of the hill.

Weatherby 30-378
        300 yards

450 yards Montana

22-250 AI
        505 yards

Pistol 50 yards. Working up a load out the garage window. Target is down range. I was sleuthing the Marine Corp Pistol Team load.

.84"

Last edited by cattlelackranch; 12-08-2017, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I prefer as accurate as possible. But Minute of Pie Plate will take care of the kill zone.

Comment

Here are some pics from my last project a cheapo Remington 783 in 308. I did a rattle can camo paint job on it and glass bedded it.

1st pic is factory Federal 175gr SMK BTHPs at 100yds 6 shots
            2nd and 3rd self explanatory
            4th pic is groups from a Rem 783 in 30.06 I bedded for a friend
            5th My Rem 783 in 308 with factory Fed 175gr SMK BTHPs 1.9 MOA @1000yds not to bad for a $300 rifle.
            Attached Files

Comment

Savage 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor
              1stpic is 500 yd group
              2nd and 3rd pic are 5 shots group at 1200yds .89 MOA (2 shots were the top bent back)
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                What do you consider acceptable to hunt with? I see people saying that they used "x" brand of bullet and it shot 1.5" group but they are not happy. Just wondering what y'alls opinions are.

Thanks
                Never had a game animal stand in the same spot for shooting a 5, 3 or even a 2 round group. Don't get hung up on "group size". In my opinion its only the 1st (cold bore) shot while hunting that counts. My take on a deer size animal is about a 10" vital zone. If you are able to put the CB shot into that at what ever distance in any condition that will give you an idea of you and your rifles acceptable capabilities are.

It's one thing sitting on a bench or laying prone all relaxed taking your time waiting for the right condition and firing several shot strings and then pulling the best group of the day and posting the pics. It's impressive for sure but at the same it doesn't take a bullets in a tight cluster to kill a deer. Don't get down on yourself if you and your rifle don't meet the ever popular .5 or 1 moa criteria. Yes it's awesome if you can but it's not needed for the average hunter shooting the typical 100-200 yard shot on a deer.

I would suggest you go out and shoot in all conditions all you can. Shoot for groups if you want at 100,200, 300 and beyond. This will give you an idea of what you are capable of for sure just don't fall for the koolaid of having to have hunting rifle shoot like a benchrest rifle....... and remember that the cold bore shot is the most important shot you will take.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                  Never had a game animal stand in the same spot for shooting a 5, 3 or even a 2 round group. Don't get hung up on "group size". In my opinion its only the 1st (cold bore) shot while hunting that counts. My take on a deer size animal is about a 10" vital zone. If you are able to put the CB shot into that at what ever distance in any condition that will give you an idea of you and your rifles acceptable capabilities are.

It's one thing sitting on a bench or laying prone all relaxed taking your time waiting for the right condition and firing several shot strings and then pulling the best group of the day and posting the pics. It's impressive for sure but at the same it doesn't take a bullets in a tight cluster to kill a deer. Don't get down on yourself if you and your rifle don't meet the ever popular .5 or 1 moa criteria. Yes it's awesome if you can but it's not needed for the average hunter shooting the typical 100-200 yard shot on a deer.

I would suggest you go out and shoot in all conditions all you can. Shoot for groups if you want at 100,200, 300 and beyond. This will give you an idea of what you are capable of for sure just don't fall for the koolaid of having to have hunting rifle shoot like a benchrest rifle....... and remember that the cold bore shot is the most important shot you will take.

Well put

Comment

If it kills the animal it works for me. If it stops killing the animals I try to make it kill once again.

Comment

If I'm sighting in on a proper rest, I'd like to be inside of an inch with my group at 100. I don't care about this as a matter of pride, but just to know for a fact that in perfect conditions, with human error taken out of the equation, my gun is performing at that high of a level. but if I'm doing it in less than favorable conditions (off my truck, for instance), I'm okay with it within a couple of inches at 100. That being said, I have a new gun that I bought, and I put a new scope and new stock on it. Trying to sight it in, I clearly have either an issue with the scope or with how the stock is seated, because my bullets are walking along the paper (first shot low right 3 inches, second shot nearly dead nut, 3rd high and left). at 100 yards I'm well within the kill zone on any of these shots, but I don't like the unpredictability of it. I'll hunt with other rifles until after the season when I have the time to figure out what I need to fix on my gun to get it more accurate.
                      Last edited by bullets13; 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        It really isn't an issue when you can't see much farther than the end of your gun barrel. But if you hunt West Texas or other areas where long shots aren't just possible but sometimes are all you get, accuracy matters.

I shot this mule deer at 400 yards up in the Panhandle. I was sitting on top of the canyon rim you can see between the buck's antlers in the picture when I shot. Being off by 1 MOA at that distance could have easily meant a miss or, worse, a gut shot.

What county did you kill that deer in?

Comment

Off a good rest <1" for all bolt guns. For lever guns <3". For the AR with red dot <2" is acceptable not shooting that far with it anyway. In shooting situations I expect to be able to hit a 5x5 gong 5 out of 5 that is good enough to kill every game animal in this state.

Comment

Working...
                          X