Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photographers...Thoughts on what happened with this photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographers...Thoughts on what happened with this photo?

Photographers and other know-it-alls...what do you think could have possible happened with this photo? It was one of my favorites as I viewed normally, but looking closely, the camera or something moved during the shot, in addition to a focus issue...which the pics before and after didn't have.

Settings are correct in the photo. It's clearly out of focus a tad but look at the light in the eyes. It appears their is camera shake? At those settings, that should not have happened. It was also on a tripod and the photo before and after were fine.

I'm a bit baffled even though the pic is not a keeper. Will being out of focus create that apparent camera movement appearance?

Click image for larger version

Name:	familypic.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	25133726

Manual or auto focus?
    (Sorry if I missed it)

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
      Manual or auto focus?
      (Sorry if I missed it)
      Auto.

Comment

If you were snapping touching the camera instead of remotely I would bet you slightly moved the camera without realizing it. I could see that happening at 1/200. That's all I got.

You need to sell me that lens cheap since you have the 2.8.

Comment

Sometimes, if the light is juuuust right, I have to use mirror lock or I get this weird jiggly effect. My camera is probably no where near as good (or heavy) as yours, so I need to use mirror lock more often (probably); but that's what it looks like to me.

Where you shooting in burst or single? Sometimes in burst I will get two good shots and bad one like this as well (in three shot burst). I've read up on it a few times and I can't remember what exactly causes it, focus speed or back focus or something, I can't remember.
          Last edited by Rat; 11-28-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Your cannooter valve is stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
              If you were snapping touching the camera instead of remotely I would bet you slightly moved the camera without realizing it. I could see that happening at 1/200. That's all I got.

You need to sell me that lens cheap since you have the 2.8.
              Forgot to mention, taken with self timer.

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              Sometimes, if the light is juuuust right, I have to use shutter lock or I get this weird jiggly effect. My camera is probably no where near as good (or heavy) as yours, so I need to use shutter lock more often (probably); but that's what it looks like to me.

Where you shooting in burst or single? Sometimes in burst I will get two good shots and bad one like this as well (in three shot burst). I've read up on it a few times and I can't remember what exactly causes it, focus speed or back focus or something, I can't remember.
              Taken on single photo, self-timer. Focused, set timer, camera took photo.

Everything I can think of that would cause this is taken out of play by settings, approach, etc. All I can figure is that being out of focus created the appearance of camera shake. But, at 35mm and 1/200 shutter speed, camera shake would likely not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                Forgot to mention, taken with self timer.

Taken on single photo, self-timer. Focused, set timer, camera took photo.

Everything I can think of that would cause this is taken out of play by settings, approach, etc. All I can figure is that being out of focus created the appearance of camera shake. But, at 35mm and 1/200 shutter speed, camera shake would likely not be an issue.
                Given all of this, I think it could still be the mirror causing the movement. I said shutter lock earlier but I meant mirror lock up. But, it could just be out of focus...

Comment

Maybe the subject broke the camera???

Just kidding. I have nothing helpful to add since I’m new to photography hence the joke.

In for learning.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Was your IS on?

Comment

Casey,
                      Why do you shoot iso 100?
                      I know when we used film it made a difference in grain but now that’s been eleminated.

I will see if I can send one I took a few days ago.
                      But back to your question did any more turn out like that?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAA94810-96DA-4E6B-8009-17522B400A43.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	24521579

This was iso400 no flash canon 100-400 4.0 L is
                        Hand held snapshot

Comment

Wow that’s an impressive shot

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I'd guess it was an AF issue since you used a tripod and timer. Sometimes the AF just has a brainfart.

Comment

Operator error would be my guess!

Comment

Working...
                              X