THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys

Just wanted to pass along some good info where it comes to hunting TBR. DO NOT HUNT NICE SHADY WOODED AREAS. You wont see a thing in there during daylight hours, period.

Find water sources and set-up on thicker wooded areas close to them in the evening. These are "Holding" zones for deer waiting for sun to go down before they show themselves just before dark. Be ready as I've watched several times just in past few day where they come out quick to water and leave even much quicker.

2nd tip:

For "Interior" areas of a given hunting unit find the deer highways. (travel routes) I can promise you that if you find a "Transition" zone where the more "wooded" areas meet a very thick brush zone (Bedding area) that you will almost always find a trail witthin 10yds of where the zones merge. follow these main routes and locate where they off-shoot into individual bedding areas. These are good spots to catch deer returning from water soures and the multitude of AG fields around TBR ....ESPECIALLY around unit 4 that boarders the Boys Ranch road area.

Comment

3RD TIP:

Don't overlook Unit 6. This area is accessed via the main park entrance off of Hwy 67 at the old gas station near the Twin Buttes them selvs. follow road into main park area . When you see the boat ramp and campsites turn right (west) and follow the roads closest to the FENCELINE to the interior of the unit.

Now here the important part. DO NOT take a 2wd vehicle out there, period. you MUST have 4wd vehicle that you don't mind trashing OR take a 4wheeler. It is loose rocky sometimes steep and overgrown tree branches everywhere. I have personally winched other TBH'ers outta this area at 2am before....BUT, if you can get way back to where it starts opening up a bit and see the meadows nears the river area (Check google earth, etc.) which is about half to two thirds of the way into the unit, you will have some GREAT hunting probably all to yourself. Seldom does anyone hunt this area and there is a low fenced 2800 acre game ranch that boarders most the entire units west fenceline.

Comment

Unit6

SAB, thanks for the intel. You have built up my curiosity about 6 again. It has been several years since I have driven out there (before I considered hunting out there). I may just have to do that soon. Don't have alot of scouting time left til season starts.
        Should be ok in my tank. It is my daily driver but being an outdoorsman its just an understanding that it needs to take the abuse.
        TXHORNZ

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
          SAB, thanks for the intel. You have built up my curiosity about 6 again. It has been several years since I have driven out there (before I considered hunting out there). I may just have to do that soon. Don't have alot of scouting time left til season starts.
          Should be ok in my tank. It is my daily driver but being an outdoorsman its just an understanding that it needs to take the abuse.
          TXHORNZ
          LOL, ok cool. I gave my truck its first real scratches 2 yrs ago pulling another TBH'er outta deep draw late at night. You will probably come to an old Barbed wire fence about halfway in (if its still there) that has been knocked down and ran over a bunch. That is NOT private property. That is a livestock fence that the guy that has his cows grazing out there used to use so they wouldnt get out into the park area. He hasnt ran his cows in that unit in years so your good if ya go past it. I believe the best area to try to hunt out there may be just a short ways past that spot as most people don't go much farther than that. Ive seen huge flocks of Turkey fly across the river from that northside in Unit 6 over into Unit 4 from there and seen many nice bucks back in there. Good luck! start saving for that new paint job bud

Comment

Feeders located

I have been checking out Google maps (love em). I have spotted two feeders on the 2800 acre ranch that are not far from the TBR boundry. Might have to see what these bordering area look like.

On a different issue: I noticed that on the SASP thread, someone said that you can use tree stands and feeder. Is that true? When we hunted @4-5 years ago at SASP the rule was, what you carry in you have to carry out daily. You were not permited to leave anything overnight.

Thanks,
            TXHORNZ

Comment

I have been checking out Google maps (love em). I have spotted two feeders on the 2800 acre ranch that are not far from the TBR boundry. Might have to see what these bordering area look like.

On a different issue: I noticed that on the SASP thread, someone said that you can use tree stands and feeder. Is that true? When we hunted @4-5 years ago at SASP the rule was, what you carry in you have to carry out daily. You were not permited to leave anything overnight.

Thanks,
              TXHORNZ
              FEEDERS absolutely NOT, but you CAN bait with corn etc. (hand thrown) YES you CAN put up a permanent tree stand etc. as long as its gone during the draw hunts and after bow season ends. You need to put a tag on it with name ph# and APH permit number and then lock it up. I had a pop-up blind in Unit 3 last season the whole time without incident, b ut hardly anyone hunted there either.

Comment

Unit 4

SAB, probably going to go back to unit IV. Back on 2166 by your old lease you mention. I was curious about turning and going to the north end instead of the popular south end. Have you seen much back that direction towards 12 mile?
                BTW, is the any cattle out there?

Thanks,
                TXHORNZ

Comment

SAB, probably going to go back to unit IV. Back on 2166 by your old lease you mention. I was curious about turning and going to the north end instead of the popular south end. Have you seen much back that direction towards 12 mile?
                  BTW, is the any cattle out there?

Thanks,
                  TXHORNZ
                  YES there is cattle in Unit 4 but they arent much of a problem usually as they like to hang out on our old lease trying to get into the feeder pens.

Now, if you head north (left at end of road) follow the tree line on your left side (my old lease) until you reach a big dip where a dry creek runs into the lake. As you cross there you will see another tree line that boarders a bunch of AG fields. Ive seen tons of Turkey and great deer in that general area anywhere around those tree lines right there.

Another good area Ive seen deer over on that side is by following that same north side road all the way back towards 12 mile. It eventually goes into a thick wooded area near the river. setup anywhere around that river bottom area. Ive seen alot of HOG (yes I said hogs at TBR) and Javi sign around there (and several dead hog carcassas').

Comment

Am I understanding right that you can camp anywhere in any of the units?

Comment

Sounds like a plan

Looks like I me and my 5yr. old will be headed out there this weekend to get a better idea of the layout. From the Sat. view it looks like it has good potential.
                      Thanks as always,
                      TXHORNZ

Comment

Looks like I me and my 5yr. old will be headed out there this weekend to get a better idea of the layout. From the Sat. view it looks like it has good potential.
                        Thanks as always,
                        TXHORNZ
                        Have fun. I've seen bunches of deer lately. I even went filming deer a few nights recently. Almost every night about 45mins before sunset they will be coming out of their holding areas near water sources, especially if it was a REALLY hot day.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin9574 View Post
                          Am I understanding right that you can camp anywhere in any of the units?

YES you would be correct! You can camp anywhere around all the hunting units but be careful about WHERE you decide to do it. There are several places where alot of young folks like to go 4x4'ing and ATV'ing and your stuff might just disappear. Tell me where ya plan on hunting and I can probably show ya some spots to set-up camp. If ya have a trailer that ya can lock-up you would probably be ok but you won't be able to get it into to many places. San Angelo State park is close by the west side of TBR and there are several County and Private camp areas around the Eastern side units by the airport and Lake Nasworthy thats literally ajoining TBR. These other alternatives camp areas are much safer to leave your camp gear if you are tent camping.

Comment

SAB!
                            I've hunted the public land of west of OC Fisher the year before last. I'm thinking about hunting TBR this year if I get a chance to make the drive. I have a ?. How do you get to unit 1? Hunter_Man said earlier that he found the entrance when he turned just a bit past the cop training center. Is that down Line Rd or Reece Rd?

Comment

Originally posted by d1rich1 View Post
                              SAB!
                              I've hunted the public land of west of OC Fisher the year before last. I'm thinking about hunting TBR this year if I get a chance to make the drive. I have a ?. How do you get to unit 1? Hunter_Man said earlier that he found the entrance when he turned just a bit past the cop training center. Is that down Line Rd or Reece Rd?
                              Hunter_Man is correct. You pass the police training center/gun range and cross over a bridge. The FIRST gate on the RIGHT is the entrance. Its a cattle guard and drops down a small incline as you enter. Follow the main track until ya are right next to the TBR Dam. Follow the road until it goes AROUND the end of the D-A-M. Once you go around the end that is where the open hunting unit begins. Follow the road that goes East-West along the wire fence to access the interior of the Unit. You will soon come to a 4 way intersection of trails. Go either straight towards river or go left to head way deep into the unit. You will notice a tall berm thats an old railroad bed. It runs the entire length almost of the unit 1. If you ever get lost and you run across this you will be able to find your way out.

Download topos/aerial photos etc. go explore and have fun. Theres some great deet out there this year. Ive seen several already, but that can be said about the whole place. I've been filming over in Unit 3 lately and seen alot more deer this year than ever. That can be said the same for San Angelo State Park to tho

Comment

Originally posted by d1rich1 View Post
                                SAB!
                                Is that down Line Rd or Reece Rd?
                                NOOOOOOO! Its just before line rd.

Comment

Working...
                                X