I have no clue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no clue

I'm wanting to start hunting public land this year but I have no clue how to do it. I have no idea about the best units to go to. Do I need to buy a climbing stand or pop up blind or sit on the ground? How do you know what section to hunt, I mean are you assigned an area? How about finding and hunting Corp Land or NF? I have no clue at all where to begin and I have a million other questions. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by big papa; 05-06-2017, 12:59 PM.

Scouting, lots of scouting. Some units require permits and licenses. Blinds and stands, depends on how and where you hunt. Some places restrict legal means, some dont. Lots of different answers to your lots of different questions. Best to find a place you want to try, read up on it, and go scout it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
        Thank you
        I know its not much. But Ive been public hunting all over NTx for about a decade. Every spot is different. And, its challenging. My usual spots are a 1 to 4 mile walk, with gear. Success almost every year but nothing thatll be seen in a magazine.

Right now Im working on getting finances together for my own property. Going to try like heck to get it backed up to either a massive ranch or public land.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

I sure appreciate it.

Comment

I sent you a PM

Comment

There are several pros and cons with tree stands vs ground blinds. For one, carrying a ground blind is easier than hauling a tree stand. When I hunt with my climber, I have to attach my backpack with a carabiner to the stand. It's a lot of work, plus you'll have to carry your bow/rifle by hand.

Last season, I got lazy and decided to hunt the ground blind because I didn't feel like carrying my climber. Big mistake. A huge doe came by within 20 yards of me but, there was a ton of brush between us. I remembered thinking if I had my climber, I would have a perfect shot. Anyway, I let the arrow fly and it was a perfect shot except that it touched one of the bush just enough to ricochet the trajectory of the arrow elsewhere. It still haunts me

In regards to hunting, if you purchase annual public land permit, they usually send you a booklet of where you can hunt. The booklet includes maps, indicating where you can and can't hunt, special rules and regulations, etc. Best thing to do is to go scout before season so you know exactly where to setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterlo70 View Post
                There are several pros and cons with tree stands vs ground blinds. For one, carrying a ground blind is easier than hauling a tree stand. When I hunt with my climber, I have to attach my backpack with a carabiner to the stand. It's a lot of work, plus you'll have to carry your bow/rifle by hand.

Last season, I got lazy and decided to hunt the ground blind because I didn't feel like carrying my climber. Big mistake. A huge doe came by within 20 yards of me but, there was a ton of brush between us. I remembered thinking if I had my climber, I would have a perfect shot. Anyway, I let the arrow fly and it was a perfect shot except that it touched one of the bush just enough to ricochet the trajectory of the arrow elsewhere. It still haunts me

In regards to hunting, if you purchase annual public land permit, they usually send you a booklet of where you can hunt. The booklet includes maps, indicating where you can and can't hunt, special rules and regulations, etc. Best thing to do is to go scout before season so you know exactly where to setup.
                Agreed! Scout, Scout, Scout.

Comment

Working...
                X