Trying to get ahead of brown patch disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get ahead of brown patch disease

Last winter my yard looked awful. It's built on top of an emitter septic system, so it's constantly wet. I don't think there's anything I can do about that, except pee at work instead of at home.

I tried some organic stuff down at the hippy store, and it didn't do squat. They didn't feel like refunding my money even though they promised it'd work and the dang bag says it treats brown patch. Peace be with you, though.

Randy Lemmon has some suggestions on how to get ahead of brown patch. Just now at Lowe's I couldn't find any fungicides that had the active ingredients he called for, so I'll keep looking.

One product that was recommended to me was Heritage G, with Azoxystrobin as the active ingredient. It'd be $80 to do one treatment.

If the grass is gonna stay wet, is this a waste of time?

Try Do My Own Pest Control. They'll probably have what you need. Keystone Pest Solutions might also.

Comment

Generally the stuff that Randy Lemmon recommends are found at an Ace True Value store but not all of them. There is usually a link on where you can find his stuff. I'm of no help as to whether it will help your problem. You can call him on his morning show or send him something on FB or maybe E-mail.

Comment

I gave up fighting that stuff several years ago because I never could get ahead of it or I wasn’t patient enough. By this time of the year I put some winterizing fertilizer and let nature takes its course. Good luck!

Comment

What is an emitter septic system??? I dont think the ground should be wet over any septic system.

Comment

If you are still fertilizing, stop, it feeds off Nitrogen.
            Last edited by JES; 09-12-2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

It will work. Put it down now then every six weeks after that till the first of the year. Residual lasts 4-6 weeks, depending on how much rainfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                What is an emitter septic system??? I dont think the ground should be wet over any septic system.
                I am the farthest thing from a septic expert, and the system was installed before I got here, but my understanding is this is the kind of system that's required when your yard is so rocky that they can't dig 6 inches before hitting bedrock. So what they did is laid out a couple thousand feet of half-inch hose with these little drip emitters every 18" or so, and then covered the whole thing with 6 inches of fill dirt.

It's great most of the year, because I hardly have to water the grass at all.

Comment

I went to a corn meal / alfalfa pellets fertilizing program on my st Augustine. It took care of my brown patch.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                    I am the farthest thing from a septic expert, and the system was installed before I got here, but my understanding is this is the kind of system that's required when your yard is so rocky that they can't dig 6 inches before hitting bedrock. So what they did is laid out a couple thousand feet of half-inch hose with these little drip emitters every 18" or so, and then covered the whole thing with 6 inches of fill dirt.

It's great most of the year, because I hardly have to water the grass at all.
                    Aerobic drip system, also used for lots that are not large enough for a conventional system.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                      I went to a corn meal / alfalfa pellets fertilizing program on my st Augustine. It took care of my brown patch.
                      I have done the alfalfa pellets, work great

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                        Can you be more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                          If you are still fertilizing, stop, it feeds off Nitrogen.
                          I agree.

How thick is your thatch layer? It might help considerably thatching and aerating your sod.

Comment

I use the Bayer stuff found at Lowes works for me

Comment

Working...
                            X