Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bownanza food prep, health permit required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bownanza food prep, health permit required?

So we have thought about Bownanza and doing a cook team. We never have done one before and I am sure someone who has can help us out with this before we get much farther.

Do we need a health permit? and no not trying to be funny. 3 yrs ago we did a benefit for a coworker selling BBQ plates. We had a nice facility (outside), running water, etc.

City Code and health guys came in and said we had to shut it down. They said we did not have items on ice, temps were not controlled etc. Yes we were SELLING the plates to help. The major burn was that we did not have a permit before hand. That seemed to really tick them off. BTW we are a non-profit organization.

I asked if we were to give the left over plates away if that was any different. They said "no". We were advised if any of our food was going out to the general public for a fee or free a permit was required.

I was advised it was accountability and someone (organization or person) that could be tracked down in case of illness. I do not want to get anyone sick and I never have thought this far ahead until now. I am not sure, is this what they are referring to:

Explore the different retail food establishments in Texas and how to obtain or renew a permit. View permit fees and requirements for specific establishments.

PERMIT REQUIRED: Each temporary food establishment, unless operated by a
    non-profit registered as a 501(C) organization, or in an area that is under the
    jurisdiction of a local health authority, shall have a valid permit issued by the
    Department. The single event permit is valid for one individual food booth or unit
    at one specific event, and is valid for 14 consecutive days from the initial effective
    date. The multiple event permit is valid for one individual food booth or unit at
    multiple events for 2 years from the initial effective date. You may request a
    permit application by calling the Department at (512) 834-6626 or by
    downloading the application from the following website:
    http://www.dshs.texas.gov/foodestabl...ting.aspx#temp.
    The submission of the permit application and payment of the fees may be
    completed on-line. NOTE: IF THE EVENT IS TO BE HELD IN AN AREA
    PERMITTED AND INSPECTED BY A CITY, COUNTY OR PUBLIC HEALTH
    DISTRICT, YOU MUST CONTACT THAT AGENCY FOR PERMITTING.
    FOOD PREPARATION: Food shall be obtained from approved sources and be in
    sound condition. Food shall be prepared only in permitted or licensed
    establishments. Food prepared in a private home is not allowed. The Texas
    Food Establishment Rules (TFER) requires that meat and poultry products be
    cooked to the following minimum internal temperatures: Poultry-165°F, Ground
    Meats-155°F, Pork-145°F, and other Meats-145°F. Time/temperature control for
    safety (TCS) foods (i.e., foods which consist in whole or in part of milk or milk
    products, eggs, cut tomatoes, cut melon, raw seed sprouts, cooked vegetables,
    meat, and seafood) shall be held at 41°F or lower, or at 135°F or above.
    Equipment adequate to cook and maintain foods at the required temperatures shall
    be provided. An accurate food temperature thermometer (metal stem) shall be
    used to monitor the proper internal cooking and holding temperatures of TCS foods.
    Packaged foods shall not be stored in direct contact with water or undrained ice.
    EQUIPMENT: Food, utensils and single service articles shall be protected from
    contamination during storage, preparation, display and service. Utensils, including
    ice scoops, shall be provided to minimize handling of foods. Food contact surfaces
    shall be easily cleanable and washed, rinsed and sanitized as necessary using three
    suitably sized basins as follows: wash with warm soapy water, rinse in clean water
    and sanitize with 50 ppm chlorine or 200 ppm quaternary amm

It's a big backyard bbq. If they need a health permit......they gonna need a liquor license too!

Unfortunately, they're not accepting anymore cookers at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      It's a big backyard bbq. If they need a health permit......they gonna need a liquor license too!

Unfortunately, they're not accepting anymore cookers at this time.
      So no permit required? cool beans thanks man

Comment

Dear Lord, please give me patience. I can't take on the whole world and reply to every idiotic thread that comes up. Please help me to refrain from pointing out stupid threads and the people that write them....Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Dear Lord, please give me patience. I can't take on the whole world and reply to every idiotic thread that comes up. Please help me to refrain from pointing out stupid threads and the people that write them....Amen.
          It's ok Curt I think he is just trying to help

Comment

dear lord, please give me patience. I can't take on the whole world and reply to every idiotic thread that comes up. Please help me to refrain from pointing out stupid threads and the people that write them....amen.

lmfao!!

Comment

Nothing food wise is for sale....its a big BBQ reunion..

Comment

Hook line and sinker smh

Comment

Originally posted by crookedarrow View Post
                  it's ok curt i think he is just trying to help
                  lmfaso

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                    lmfaso
                    Terry.............looks like Bill you and I are in!!!!!! Team Tripitas!!!!!!!! heck yea!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                      Hook line and sinker smh
                      oh lawd please Billy

Comment

You are not selling any food....no permit necessary.

Edit...what Smart said.
                        Edit.1....what Curtintex said

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Nothing food wise is for sale....its a big BBQ reunion..
                          Awesome Jason! Look forward to chowing on those world famous wings you make

Comment

Originally posted by crookedarrow View Post
                            it's ok curt i think he is just trying to help
                            :d:d:d:d:d

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                              You are not selling any food....no permit necessary.

Edit...what Smart said.
                              Edit.1....what Curtintex said
                              Cool deal thanks Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X