LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys -

I got directed over this way from a thread I started about losing a family spot. I live in north arlington and have neeeeever hunted public land. But, seems to be that LBJ is the closest place to me, and the season is closing in fast. So, I need to get educated. If you were to explain to someone new to PL hunting...like, imagine a third grader...where would you say to start aggregating some practical knowledge?

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
      You can stop by the office and pick up a map and a list of regulations.

Caddo/LBJ National Grasslands
      1400 N. Hwy 287
      P.O. Box 507
      Decatur, Texas 76234
      (940) 627-5475

The TP&W Outdoor Annual list the hunting and fishing regulations for Wise County.

Here's a link to the NFGT Forest Supervisor's Orders and Prohibitions.

Scroll down to All Grasslands and click on each link below that title.

This one is important. No baiting and stands can only be in place for 72 hours.

Another link to shooting regulations. Shotgun and muzzleloaders only. No target shooting.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3856143.pdf

Comment

Thanks jbow. reading now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessebeaux View Post
          Anyone able to ID this fruit? Almost think it's a plum haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Mexican plum

Comment

September is Public Lands Month

Comment

I thought those were persimmon

Comment

Anyone going out there this weekend? Taking the son and dad out sunday.

Comment

Anyone ever had any creepy experiences or run into shady people out at LBJ? My dad used to take me out there when I was a kid in the late 1980's to dove and rabbit hunt from time to time. I Don't remember any negative experiences back then. Well I do remember one but not really negative. My dad and I were target shooting at an old dead tree that had already been shot to hell. A Federal Park Ranger or State Game Warden approached us, I cant remember which because I was a kid and it was 30 years ago. He told us even though that tree was already shot up it was still an offense to shoot at it. He was nice enough and just gave us that warning. Ever since though I have made a point to know and obey the rules.

About five years ago me and some buddies camped out over night near Black Creek lake. We went walking down the road late and a truck pulled up to us and stopped. It was a man and a woman and they seemed drunk. The man asked us if we were going to ride the giant oil derrick up the road. We said no not really sure what he meant. He told us that he just finished riding it like a mechanical bull. They peeled off yelling something. I didn't believe him. When we got to the derrick the thing bobbed up and down what looked to me at the time to be three or more stories. I'm sure this would be illegal not to mention serious injury or death if you fell off the thing drunk or not.

This past spring I took the wife out to hike and do a little rabbit hunting. We went to I think unit 71. If you go left and drive down a little ways there is a big hill there on the right with a flat top. We parked there and hiked out. While we were out a yellow helicopter started flying around and came in low and tilted to look at us. I had my shotgun with me and I kept thinking maybe it was a Game Warden checking me out to see if I was in compliance gun and hunter orange wise (I was in compliance). The yellow helicopter then landed on top of the hill that I parked near and stayed there until we got to our car and left. I got the impression they were watching us. we drove deeper into the unit and didn't see the helicopter for 30 or so minutes. When we came back up the road toward the hill again to leave the helicopter flew back in and landed on the hill again. As we drove by the pilot waved. I waved back and we kept on going. I thought maybe too they were just doing flight training. If they were LEO's and really wanted to check me out they would have had a patrol unit intercept us if it was that important. Anyway it kind of bothered me because the way they were flying low and checking us out they would have scared away anything i might have been hunting for.

When I go out this fall I'm mostly going to be alone because my friends live out of state and do not hunt anyway. Just wondering how common it may be to run into weird things out there.
                  Last edited by cloud8a; 09-13-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

The helicopter pilots are practicing touch and go landings. They fly out of the airport in Decatur off FM 730. I'm out there a lot running my beagles and see them often.

A Darwin Award winner was killed back in the 90's "riding the bull".

I may have been the ranger that gave you a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                      The helicopter pilots are practicing touch and go landings. They fly out of the airport in Decatur off FM 730. I'm out there a lot running my beagles and see them often.

A Darwin Award winner was killed back in the 90's "riding the bull".

I may have been the ranger that gave you a warning.
                      Oh ok so riding the bull is a thing. Did people ever get arrested for that?

Wish I could remember if it was a ranger or a game warden. Kinda thinking if it was a warden he would have cited my dad anyway. Ill ask my dad if he remembers, he probably wont but it would be neat to know if it was you cause I remember the guy being really nice.

Comment

Froggy is only nice if he don't know ya.

Hi Froggy!

Comment

Originally posted by cloud8a View Post
                          Anyone ever had any creepy experiences or run into shady people out at LBJ? My dad used to take me out there when I was a kid in the late 1980's to dove and rabbit hunt from time to time. I Don't remember any negative experiences back then. Well I do remember one but not really negative. My dad and I were target shooting at an old dead tree that had already been shot to hell. A Federal Park Ranger or State Game Warden approached us, I cant remember which because I was a kid and it was 30 years ago. He told us even though that tree was already shot up it was still an offense to shoot at it. He was nice enough and just gave us that warning. Ever since though I have made a point to know and obey the rules.

About five years ago me and some buddies camped out over night near Black Creek lake. We went walking down the road late and a truck pulled up to us and stopped. It was a man and a woman and they seemed drunk. The man asked us if we were going to ride the giant oil derrick up the road. We said no not really sure what he meant. He told us that he just finished riding it like a mechanical bull. They peeled off yelling something. I didn't believe him. When we got to the derrick the thing bobbed up and down what looked to me at the time to be three or more stories. I'm sure this would be illegal not to mention serious injury or death if you fell off the thing drunk or not.

This past spring I took the wife out to hike and do a little rabbit hunting. We went to I think unit 71. If you go left and drive down a little ways there is a big hill there on the right with a flat top. We parked there and hiked out. While we were out a yellow helicopter started flying around and came in low and tilted to look at us. I had my shotgun with me and I kept thinking maybe it was a Game Warden checking me out to see if I was in compliance gun and hunter orange wise (I was in compliance). The yellow helicopter then landed on top of the hill that I parked near and stayed there until we got to our car and left. I got the impression they were watching us. we drove deeper into the unit and didn't see the helicopter for 30 or so minutes. When we came back up the road toward the hill again to leave the helicopter flew back in and landed on the hill again. As we drove by the pilot waved. I waved back and we kept on going. I thought maybe too they were just doing flight training. If they were LEO's and really wanted to check me out they would have had a patrol unit intercept us if it was that important. Anyway it kind of bothered me because the way they were flying low and checking us out they would have scared away anything i might have been hunting for.

When I go out this fall I'm mostly going to be alone because my friends live out of state and do not hunt anyway. Just wondering how common it may be to run into weird things out there.

The only time was about 2 years ago. I pulled up to the unit early. At about 5:15 i was reading about a mountain lion sighting about a mile from where i was going to sit that morning. I though there full of chit. At 5:30 grabbed my bow and pop up out the back of the truck. Walk in about 150 yards and hear something running just to my left. I think nothingof it and keep going and then i hear it again. I freeze. All i had was the moonlight and my phone. I shine it in the directions and see nothing but the trees 10 foot in front of me. I got to my spot and kept hearing the sound and remember wondering what the heck is that. The walk out was ok though as i was dragging a doe behind me.
                          Thats rhe only story i got. Other than the time i was walking through the grasslands in the dark hunting hogs, and turned my light off and run into something amd unloaded my gun on it. Then turn the light on to find its an old car.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
                            The only time was about 2 years ago. I pulled up to the unit early. At about 5:15 i was reading about a mountain lion sighting about a mile from where i was going to sit that morning. I though there full of chit. At 5:30 grabbed my bow and pop up out the back of the truck. Walk in about 150 yards and hear something running just to my left. I think nothingof it and keep going and then i hear it again. I freeze. All i had was the moonlight and my phone. I shine it in the directions and see nothing but the trees 10 foot in front of me. I got to my spot and kept hearing the sound and remember wondering what the heck is that. The walk out was ok though as i was dragging a doe behind me.
                            Thats rhe only story i got. Other than the time i was walking through the grasslands in the dark hunting hogs, and turned my light off and run into something amd unloaded my gun on it. Then turn the light on to find its an old car.
                            I remember a time I was deer hunting one October. Went in before daylight. Was wondering why I didn't see any deer when I got down for lunch. I was 50 yards inside a tree-line. When I broke the tree line walking back, and down the trail 10 yards, was a feller stone cold drunk and pasted out. Never saw him going in. And I was 1.1 miles from the parking area. I woke him up. And got some small talk out of him. He said he was waiting for the sun to come up so he could watch for deer . Saw him a few more times after that out there hunting. But he had an air about him that I didn't trust. So I never hung out with him even though he seemed like a nice guy in passing. He and his brothers got busted for meth production, and a ton of other violations, a few years later. There were several law enforcement agencies involved with that bust, including TP&W, and USFS Decatur National Grasslands Division.

Anyway, the point of this story is, I'm glad it wasn't a drunk passed out that you went to shooting at before you identified your target.

Comment

The car was dead, Brent, why did you unload on the car?

TG- glad you made it out safely.

Comment

Ran out today to check a camera i had out for a while. Was only away from the truck for about 45 minutes. Came back to the truck and went to get a water out of the back of the truck and my cooler was gone. Wasnt an expensive one, but still it was frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X