No announcement yet.

2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was finally able to turn over the rest of the garden patch yesterday evening and plow 3 rows for my wife to put in more stuff... If we can get the time, I'll row the rest of it up so she can plant her peas n corn.
    Berries around the place are going nuts! Already gettin quite a few red ones. Barring a late frost, there's gonna be some good pickin' this year... Hope to put some in the freezer for late season berry cobbler!!

Comment

How long does it take for potatoes to sprout? Put them in about 2 weeks ago and I'm nervous First time growing potatoes. All I've ever done is transplant store bought plants so I never had to wait for anything to come rip.

Comment

Justin, you should be seeing sprouts by now. Maybe you planted them too deep and it will take a little longer... If the ground was not and is not overly wet, they should come up. If your slips had good growing eyes on 'em, they'll be popping through any day now. If you want to check, scratch down and look at one or two...

Comment

Lemon tree is covered up with little fruit bulbs and flowers. Serrano started flowering and zucchini and tomatoes seem to be happy right now. Pole beans aren't moving much.

Did an experiment and added compost from our home bin that has been cooking for a little over a year, used a bag or store bought on the other side. Home grown compost is having better results already and it's only been 2 weeks.

Also have a red bus and a pecan sapling that are coming back to life

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Justin, you should be seeing sprouts by now. Maybe you planted them too deep and it will take a little longer... If the ground was not and is not overly wet, they should come up. If your slips had good growing eyes on 'em, they'll be popping through any day now. If you want to check, scratch down and look at one or two...
            Thanks. The seed potatoes were already sprouting a bit so hopefully they'll come up soon. Did some in growing bags and some in a raised bed. If i don't see anything by the weekend I'll carefully dig down a bit.

I read the soil should be moist but not wet. That sound right?

Comment

Taters planted President's day are coming up. Lettuce and carrots from then are just barely peeking out. Planted corn, yellow squash, zucchini, two kinds of bush beans, black eyed peas, cucumbers, and cantaloupe today.

Comment

I guess my potatoes heard me talking about them. Went out when I got home and they're coming up.

Doing a few pots on the porch with tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, mint, and strawberries.

The rest of the main garden goes in next week.

Gotta get the tiller running

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  I guess my potatoes heard me talking about them. Went out when I got home and they're coming up.

Doing a few pots on the porch with tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro, mint, and strawberries.

The rest of the main garden goes in next week.

Gotta get the tiller running
                  That's what I did today... put new carb on the Mantis tiller... best weeder for a garden on the planet! Got 3 rows done before dark.

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                  Thanks. The seed potatoes were already sprouting a bit so hopefully they'll come up soon. Did some in growing bags and some in a raised bed. If i don't see anything by the weekend I'll carefully dig down a bit.

I read the soil should be moist but not wet. That sound right?
                  That's perfect!

As the plant tops get bigger, keep adding dirt to cover the stems and lower leaves... Old folks used to call it "hillin' the 'taters).

Comment

From Mother Nature's garden.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170320_161853 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	24489851

Comment

Mrs has sprouts coming up in her starter pots, very exciting.

She just put a tomato plant into the planter.

We got the new beds assembled, and filled with soil. She is going to add her amendments (lava sand, molasses, mulch, etc) and have it ready for the seedlings to be planted in a week or two.

Comment

You think the threat of frost is over in central Texas?

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                          It's been a couple years since I've had a garden here. Between bad health, Mother Nature throwing a bad storms my way, and epic waves of grass hoppers I've almost given up. Just got through breaking the ground one more time!

Comment

We've got potatoes and onions coming up and looking good! Only problem is we have an armadillo that's showing up erratically at night and digging up the base of the plants. I've been watching for him but have only got him on the game camera in the middle of the night.

Anybody got advice? I've read it's hard to trap them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                              We've got potatoes and onions coming up and looking good! Only problem is we have an armadillo that's showing up erratically at night and digging up the base of the plants. I've been watching for him but have only got him on the game camera in the middle of the night.

Anybody got advice? I've read it's hard to trap them.
                              You can use a live trap to catch them, but it's not nearly as easy as trapping racoons. They won't come to bait, so it's important to know the armadillos path of travel. Set the trap along it's normal path and setup some sort of funnel in front of the trap. I've used boards, wire, or even cinder blocks I had laying around.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X