7.62x39 for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.62x39 for hunting

Anyone hunt with one? Seems like it runs a little behind a 30-30 in energy.

CZ makes a cool little gun chambered in it so just curious.

Me and my dad killed quite a few deer with his sks when I was growing up and he was teaching me to hunt. Killed everything we pointed it at. Get good ammo and I think it's a good caliber for a kid.

Comment

It'll work just fine. However why not look at A 6.5grendel?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        It'll work just fine. However why not look at A 6.5grendel?
        The gun I’m looking at (cz’s carbine) only comes in 223 and 7.62x39

Comment

Oh ok both rounds are good for deer 7.62 probably better energy wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's got more power than a 300 blackout, which used to be the golden child of AR15 deer calibers.

Comment

Oh ok both rounds are good for deer 7.62 probably better energy wise.

They do make the 6.5 in their 527 American version. Is it that much better that it’s worth considering?

Comment

Ruger makes that Zytel 77 in the 7.62x39, but it goes for a pretty penny...not a bad buy if you can buy it right though.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  They do make the 6.5 in their 527 American version. Is it that much better that it’s worth considering?
                  In my opinion yes. 6.5 is a much better bullet, better selection of ammo, better ballistics, little less recoil, better sectional density. But they will both get it done.

Comment

Anyone hunt with one? Seems like it runs a little behind a 30-30 in energy.

CZ makes a cool little gun chambered in it so just curious.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/
                    Just use a soft point bullet and you'll be fine. It's a relatively low velocity round, so know the trajectory and keeps shots closer.

LWD

Comment

In my opinion yes. 6.5 is a much better bullet, better selection of ammo, better ballistics, little less recoil, better sectional density. But they will both get it done.
                      Man, now you have my wheels turning. That 6.5 out of the 527’s 24” barrel carries more than 1000# of energy out to 300 yds with nearly zero recoil

Comment

Man, now you have my wheels turning. That 6.5 out of the 527’s 24” barrel carries more than 1000# of energy out to 300 yds with nearly zero recoil

I'd go 6.5 Grendel all day over 7.62. I built a Grendel and have yet to kill with it but shoots great. I hunt with a 260 rem and love it have killed to 650 yards with it. Look up YouTube 6.5 Grendel kills it's a very capable round.

Comment

I don’t know why you would. Hunting Ammo selection is very limited at best. It’s not like you would buy it for cheap Ammo for high volume shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ruger offers a American Ranch model in 7.62x39
                            I just picked one up I love it more than the CZ one.
                            The CZ feels cheaper built than how it looks in pictures.
                            The Ruger one seems much better built. Not to mention it's less expensive than the CZ and it takes mini 30 mags

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                              Ruger offers a American Ranch model in 7.62x39
                              I just picked one up I love it more than the CZ one.
                              The CZ feels cheaper built than how it looks in pictures.
                              The Ruger one seems much better built. Not to mention it's less expensive than the CZ and it takes mini 30 mags
                              Good to know. Haven’t handled one yet. I am very fond of my CZ 557 and 455 though...they are built well and look great.

Comment

Working...
                              X