arrowhead value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
    How is it possible to tell if they are real or reproductions if they are historically accurate?
    I would like to know this too...

Comment

"Historically accurate" could mean many things
      It could mean the correct stone, or technique, or material. If it meats all those then you can check for age.
      There are many indications that something has been aged. You can use lights and magnification. You can look at wear patterns. Most of the real ones have been "resharpened" or when broken it would have been made into a different tool. They can look at residue of what was used to make it or also see scratch or knapping marks in the creation. There are a bunch mroe clues too.

Comment

There are experts out there that will evaluate your artifacts, and provide a certificate of authenticity if they decide they are genuine and not modern reproductions. Here's one -- http://www.artifactgrading.com/ Remember, GIYF or Google Is Your Friend.

Comment

They are fakes.........

Comment

cool deal, I've seen Walter Schriner (yo ranch dude) pay $1000 an inch for a 14 inch rock.
            also had a buddy sell his collection for $10,000 to a private buyer also. If they are legit and some rare type deal u might have something but it could also be a cool looking paper weight too..

Comment

I forget the name or publisher but there is a price guide book for arrowheads. The last time I bought one was about 10 years ago but I bet they are still around if you check Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

Comment

Pm sent on potential purchase

Comment

They look real to me.

Comment

Man what a rip off, my BIL and I found a spear head in the colorado river, I let him have it. I had no idea they were that pricy. See if I can work it back into my hands.

Comment

I've been knapping for a couple of years and during my learning process I have looked at thousands of pictures and hundreds of the real thing.
                      My opinion is that these are authentic reproductions based on the type of rock and percussion flake patterns. Number 1 is they both appear to be made from Chert flint commonly found here in Texas. Number 2 is they are just too perfect as in sharp edges which means they were never used or if they are real were probably a burial item placed with the deceased.
                      Number 2 is I have never seen this sort of style except in reproductions.
                      But then I ain't no expert and I ain't seen everything yet. There are many people out there that are able to verify the archaic name for these style of blades and also verify if they are authentic. I think I would take them to A&M and get them to give an opinion. I believe there are some people down at A&M that do this sort of thing.

Comment

Contact Dwain he know his stuff.

Comment

Notice the ground bases and difference in flaking. Here is an east texas scottsbluff. G 10 quality. Little over 2". Notice the patina from its age. The length gives it away to.

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdiger View Post
                            Contact Dwain he know his stuff.

http://www.paperedpoints.com/dwainrogers.html
                            He will carbon date and give a certificate of auth. You can get burned quick buying arrowheads. To many fakes out there, the guys who make them have it down to a tee!!! Temple show is full of them being sold as authentic.

Comment

The artifact on the left is a Scottsbluff which dates back all the way back to paleo times. Here are 4 Scottsbluff types that were in my house when a authenticator came over to look at my collection. I asked him to bring a few points over to show the family and he brought these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scotty1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24060929

Click image for larger version

Name:	scotty2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24060930

So yes, these are found in very good g-10 condition. I'm not the one to say if it is authentic or not just by looking at the picture but it does look authentic to me. If it is authentic, I would not have sold it for $2,500 either. It is worth way more than that. I'm not one to put a definite price on it but I would put it in the 8k to 15k range. Just my opinion.

The one on the right I don't know off the top of my head...would have to break out the book on that one. Heck of a artifact if that is real too!

Comment

A old man who has hunted artifacts all his life to find pieces like that is not gona sell his whole collection for $600....jmo I lije that andice johnny. I have a G10 calf creek chipped out of horse creek chert I found working in oklahoma.

Comment

Working...
                                X