No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a doe walk right by me about 3 yards away then a big spike came by at 8 yards infront of me. I passed up on both in hopes of a bigger one, then I had a nice 8pt come with in 70 yards behind some trees walking away from me , I got my grunt call grunted at him a couple of times, got him to turn back and come closer about 54 yards but he never gave me a shot and started to circle me to get down wind from me then I never saw him again. Oh and I had like 30 turkey walk infront of me lol

Comment

Good job

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

All the info here was great helped a lot for my first time hunting here so thanks first all. This is my second time bow hunting or hunting period but it's been fun so far even without harvesting anything.

I was not able to come out yesterday but came in today so far it's been quite where I'm located only saw to coyote. Like around 11 I got off to go grab a bite in my car and sure enough 3 doe like 100 yard passed righr in front of me. I set up an extra pop blind I had close to where they passed as trail there looked frequently used so we'll see if that pays of tomorrow. This afternoon has been super slow and quite as well. Once I got back to where tripod is I went to walk and stalk for a bit to know the are more and found some good trail and then some that seemed old but maybe try does next year see if I get drawn again. Good luck to all out here is you need anything I'm around to help if I can. .... also first post here since I joined a while back lol

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
          Winter Wonderland!
          I can't get over how crazy this is. We were down there the same time of year last year and it was hot as blazes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
            I can't get over how crazy this is. We were down there the same time of year last year and it was hot as blazes.
            Yes sir! It was gone just as quickly as it came! Woke up to light snow, bottom fell out, then it melted all before the sun went down. Craziest thing I've seen!

Comment

Originally posted by Perez0164 View Post
              All the info here was great helped a lot for my first time hunting here so thanks first all. This is my second time bow hunting or hunting period but it's been fun so far even without harvesting anything.

I was not able to come out yesterday but came in today so far it's been quite where I'm located only saw to coyote. Like around 11 I got off to go grab a bite in my car and sure enough 3 doe like 100 yard passed righr in front of me. I set up an extra pop blind I had close to where they passed as trail there looked frequently used so we'll see if that pays of tomorrow. This afternoon has been super slow and quite as well. Once I got back to where tripod is I went to walk and stalk for a bit to know the are more and found some good trail and then some that seemed old but maybe try does next year see if I get drawn again. Good luck to all out here is you need anything I'm around to help if I can. .... also first post here since I joined a while back lol
              Sending you a message

Comment

Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR - Teniente Bow Hunt

Anyone do any good today?I had a slow day and got busted reaching for my bow by a big boy (whitetail).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
                  Anyone do any good today?I had a slow day and got busted reaching for my bow by a big boy (whitetail).

How big is this big boy? I didn’t see any bucks while I was there

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                    How big is this big boy? I didn’t see any bucks while I was there

Well he’s bigger than I was told to expect there. He was super heavy , other than that it was a blur! He’s definitely a different caliber than I expected. I saw a few 8 points yesterday and today but they were nothing to this guy. Granted I would of shot any of them given the chance!

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
                      Well he’s bigger than I was told to expect there. He was super heavy , other than that it was a blur! He’s definitely a different caliber than I expected. I saw a few 8 points yesterday and today but they were nothing to this guy. Granted I would of shot any of them given the chance!

I guess when I was there they were not around, I saw lots of doe’s but no bucks. With the rut in food swing right now down here I wouldn’t be surprised if you saw more even bigger bucks.

Comment

Had a really slow day will hit it again tomorrow morning

Comment

Well I suck. Just missed a big bull. Busted me drawing but stopped about 50 yrds. I had to lean way out and shot right under him.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                            Well I suck. Just missed a big bull. Busted me drawing but stopped about 50 yrds. I had to lean way out and shot right under him.
                            At least you're in a good spot. Keep chunkin

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Saw one other nilgia right before the one I missed. Hoping it circles back. I’m back against some real thick brush with tall grass and that bull almost come out on top of me. Probably walked 5-10 yards right behind me. Was hopeing the would walk along it on the trails. I wouldn’t think a animal that big could fit through some of it. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                                Saw one other nilgia right before the one I missed. Hoping it circles back. I’m back against some real thick brush with tall grass and that bull almost come out on top of me. Probably walked 5-10 yards right behind me. Was hopeing the would walk along it on the trails. I wouldn’t think a animal that big could fit through some of it. Lol

They don’t necessarily “fit” they make their own trails, lol

Comment

Working...
                                X