TPWD Big horn draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Big horn draw hunt

Anybody know the details on why they aren't doing one this year? Tried to enter like always as that's the main hunt I want every year. Said something about conservation efforts in the area

I assume the numbers don't support a hunt this year. I trust the folks a TPWD working on bighorns so I'll just wait to draw next year

Comment

Probably due to some conservation efforts or something

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
        Probably due to some conservation efforts or something
        Im so glad we have someone as smart as you to point that out

Im asking if anyone knows exactly what it is they are doing. I am curious. This was my year to draw

Comment

They'll probably claim lack of manpower.

Comment

I don't know why you're so concerned, it most definitely my year to draw.

My guess is the numbers aren't so good. I seem to remember hearing of some concerns about year or two back.

I think that's always been a very fragile heard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

The herd at Sierra Diablo has been declining, other than that I think they are doing ok. My guess is they will be relocating more sheep around.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                The herd at Sierra Diablo has been declining, other than that I think they are doing ok. My guess is they will be relocating more sheep around.
                Sheep numbers in that area of state are down, but still holds largest population of sheep.
                They will still hunt Black Gap and Elephanta WMAs. (Auction and grand slam)

They are going to do a relocation in not too distant future, but not from Diablo and surrounding ranges.

Bighorns are weak hearted, always looking for a cave to crawl in and die.

Comment

GUIDED BIGHORN SHEEP HUNT PACKAGE

Application Deadline: October 15, 2017
                  Due to desert bighorn sheep restoration efforts between Trans-Pecos WMAs scheduled for this year, prospects for a guided bighorn sheep hunt are uncertain. If a permit becomes available, the guided bighorn sheep hunt category will become active and public hunters with an email on file will receive notification.

Comment

Yeah, I have a really good idea.....

Tpw in their infinite wisdom, f'd it up.

Likely they relocated the ones they were going to let some poor sap kill to some private land, but killed them in the process of moving them.....

Comment

They announced they are doing a helicopter survey right now " pretty cool pictures "
                      I would think they have two rams to spare? But WTH do I know I just see them from our road

I wish this hunt was more handicapped friendly
                      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-16-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        Yeah, I have a really good idea.....

Tpw in their infinite wisdom, f'd it up.

Likely they relocated the ones they were going to let some poor sap kill to some private land, but killed them in the process of moving them.....
                        I talked to the guy that heads up the sheep program. He guided my hunt. It sounds like they just didn't get their survey done in time, so I guess they didn't want to schedule a hunt without knowing for sure they had some mature rams to hunt. I have no idea why they didn't get the surveys done in time. The TPWD draw website now says basically that if they get the surveys done and it looks like they could do a hunt then they'll put the drawing up on their website and send everybody that's in the system an email notification.

I've been seeing their photos of the helicopter surveys on facebook lately and there are some pics of some mature rams in there, so maybe that will happen soon??

Comment

Feel free to believe that if you want, but I saw the dead ones with my own eyes that they tried to move to private land, and then blamed it on an STD when they died.

Either they are idiots or they think we are.....

Comment

and then blamed it on an STD when they died.
                            TPWD gots some explainins' to do

Comment

Feel free to believe that if you want, but I saw the dead ones with my own eyes that they tried to move to private land, and then blamed it on an STD when they died.

Either they are idiots or they think we are.....
                              Sheep cannot handle stress very well, but sheep killed on transplants are few and far between.
                              Large part of transplanted sheep come from private land and get moved to both state land or other private property.
                              Without these transplants there would be much fewer hunting opputinuties for both public and private property.

Comment

Working...
                              X