Climber vs. Hang-On for temporary stands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climber vs. Hang-On for temporary stands

I've used a climber on public land for 10 years now and often have trouble finding a straight tree in the areas I'd like to hunt. Considering switching to a hang-on and climbing sticks setup.

For those who have tried both, any thoughts?

The whole setup will come in and out of the woods with me on each hunt.

Primary considerations (relative to climber): weight, setup time/difficulty, stand angle adjustability up in the tree (if any)
    Last edited by FeetDown; 06-03-2017, 03:19 PM.

Neither. Ground blinds for us. Natural and portable ones for me. I love being down in the ground, up close and personal. Especially if a nice boar comes down the trail about 5 to 10 yards out in front of you with cutters shining in the morning sun. It gets real when he looks over at you, deciding if he wants to charge you or not and all you got is a knife, stick and a string to defend to yourself with. That's where it's at! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you were going to take it out of the woods every hunt I think it's more of a pain than a climber. Of course if there's no straight trees it's worth a little extra effort to be able to hunt the exact tree you want. A lock on his superior in every way except speed, quietness of hanging. I use lock ons only but I leave the stand Im hunting up all weekend or the couple days that Im there hunting then take it down on the last hunt. Check the rules where you are though. I dont know what the lightest climbers weigh but Im almost certain you can get three climbing sticks and a lightweight hang on for less weight. Use a quick release bracket and you can hang one almost as fast as you can climb a tree. I like to be up in good cover. You will be amazed how much movement you can get away with when you arent on a tree thats shaped like a telephone pole.

Comment

I just run the cheap hang on stands from walmart but nice sticks are a must for me. Check these out. One other benefit is that you can put one on a tree and hang your camera 12 feet up. It might not be 100% safe that way but less likely for someone to see it or come back to steal it later.

Comment

Hang Ons and ground blinds here. It is hard to find any try other than small Pin Oaks and Mountain Cedar over here.

Comment

I like a couple of cheap craigslist climbers to leave on public land. I've never had a problem because I go pretty far off the beaten path. I've also left hang ons with screw steps.
            I've used the stick steps on some stands I left all season.

No question I'd use a climber if I were going to remove it each hunt or a Millennium Tree Seat.
            I never use pop up blinds, I like to be one with nature.

Originally posted by FeetDown View Post
            I've used a climber on public land for 10 years now and often have trouble finding a straight tree in the areas I'd like to hunt. Considering switching to a hang-on and climbing sticks setup.

For those who have tried both, any thoughts?

The whole setup will come in and out of the woods with me on each hunt.

Primary considerations (relative to climber): weight, setup time/difficulty, stand angle adjustability up in the tree (if any)
            Last edited by Voodoo; 06-03-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
              If you were going to take it out of the woods every hunt I think it's more of a pain than a climber. Of course if there's no straight trees it's worth a little extra effort to be able to hunt the exact tree you want. A lock on his superior in every way except speed, quietness of hanging. I use lock ons only but I leave the stand Im hunting up all weekend or the couple days that Im there hunting then take it down on the last hunt. Check the rules where you are though. I dont know what the lightest climbers weigh but Im almost certain you can get three climbing sticks and a lightweight hang on for less weight. Use a quick release bracket and you can hang one almost as fast as you can climb a tree. I like to be up in good cover. You will be amazed how much movement you can get away with when you arent on a tree thats shaped like a telephone pole.
              I think the most convenient and quietest approach would be to leave 2 or 3 hang-on stands up in the trees and just carry in climbing sticks. I'd be willing to take the risk of one of my stands growing legs and walking off.

That said, I hate it when others leave stands up on public - it feels like they have claimed the spot - so while way more convenient, I am reticent to go this route. Plus I don't want to tip folks off to the spots I like, and I believe it is a no-no to leave a stand up for more than 72 hours where I hunt. Hence my setup comes in and out with me.

This quick release bracket you mentioned - is that the strap with a mounting bracket on it that you slide the lock-on onto after you secure your sticks? Holds the stand up while you secure the stand better with other straps?

If so, would it shave off significant setup time to maybe just leave these quick release brackets up in select trees? Or are we only talking a minute or two? I'm expecting bad news here but thought I'd ask. TIA.

My climber weighs about 20 lb. Takes me roughly 10 min or so to attache it to the tree and climb up to hunting height in a pre-prepped tree. The worst is when you misjudge the platform angle and have to climb back down and adjust because your platform is tilted down or up at hunting height!

Comment

Yeah leaving stands up all over the woods all the time is a no go. I will hang one stand when I get there and hunt it a couple days then take it down when I go home. Its 72 hours most places I hunt too. The quick release brackets help a lot because strapping the stand to the tree can be very difficult with one hand. I made my own thats basically a hook that I strap to the tree. Then I pull the stand up by a rope and hang it on the hook while i get straps around it.

Its definitely not going to be as easy as a climber but its nice to be able to hunt the exact tree you want.

Comment

I love a lock on for comfort and quietness on the in and out part. Climbers are more of a scouting stand setup for me. If the spot ends up being good I'll swap it to a lock on. I love big oaks with big spread out branches to hide in so climbers usually don't work out for this.

Comment

I have an old man climber I have had for prob 20+ years. My son is almost 3. Hopefully he can use it one day. Several national forest deer shot out of it including my first 2 bucks. it has some good luck.

Comment

For a few seasons I used both a Lone Wolf Handclimber climbing stand and Lone Wolf Assault hang-on with 4 Lone Wolf sticks. I did the "hang and hunt" each time with the Assault. It is really easy once you develop a system. It was nice because I could scout an area and not trees because I knew I had options. I sold the Assault last summer after bicep surgery but probably should have kept it.

Comment

Interesting thread. Where I've been hunting lately it has been a challenge to find a climbable tree. Down in the bottoms the trees grow too big for my climber to wrap the cables around the tree. I'm thinking about getting a hang on and maybe attaching it with ratchet straps if i have to.

Comment

Thanks for your input and advice, fellas. I've slept on it and think I will run both setups

There have been a several areas over the years that I have not been able to hunt at all for want of a suitable tree. Just thinking about being able to hunt them is making me feel like a kid on Christmas Eve already. Funny how we can get stuck in a rut (no pun intended) with our methods.

Now to research which hang-on to buy. I've been spoiled comfort-wise by my climber (arm rests!) so weight-permitting, I am leaning towards a hang-on with a seat geared towards comfort. Millenium looks choice but too heavy. Maybe Hawk Helium. I'd like to keep combined weight of stand and sticks below 25lb, which is about 5 lb heavier than my climber. I will spend the coin on good sticks - Lone Wolf and Hawk run about 10lb - so I guess the stand should be about 15 lb max.

Perhaps I will continue to use the climber in areas with good trees. Hard to beat the comfort and convenience of my climber. A bonus is I've suspended zippered saddle bags from the arm rests which keeps everything within easy reach. Check them out if you have a climber: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...bags?a=1342956

Comment

I've got equipment to handle all needs: ladder stands, hang-on, climber, and pop-ups. Got to be adaptable to the situation.

Adapt, and over come.

Comment

I run a climber 100% of the time on public, but I plan on getting at least one hang on for this year. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X