Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Meat...How long will it keep on ice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had ice on it the whole time. Not covered per say, but there has always been ice on it or in the cooler. It has been in the garage and I have drained it 3 or 4 times. It just seems to have a little smell to it and that is why I ask. May not be a rancud odor, but I don't know the difference. The deer hung in a cooler for a day or two, then were put in an ice chests and have been there since Sunday a week ago. Still Good?

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
      I have had ice on it the whole time. Not covered per say, but there has always been ice on it or in the cooler. It has been in the garage and I have drained it 3 or 4 times. It just seems to have a little smell to it and that is why I ask. May not be a rancud odor, but I don't know the difference. The deer hung in a cooler for a day or two, then were put in an ice chests and have been there since Sunday a week ago. Still Good?
      The good news is your nose is pretty good at avoiding bacteria filled meat.

The bad news is we are all a little paranoid...

Either get it colder (freeze it) or cook it soon.

Comment

I am taking it to the processor today and I will let them tell me if it is bad or not I guess. It's two axis does so I really hope it is not.

Comment

28 days is what a "real" butcher told me

Comment

I bet its bad and my brother lives in the woodlands so take it by his house and Ill properly dispose of that nasaty axis meat.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
              I keep mine covered with ice, draining the water twice a day for 2 weeks.
              I do the exact same thing, and have not had any problems

Comment

your fine, take to processor and enjoy some really good aged meat.

Comment

Originally posted by 312InchMagnum View Post
                  28 days is what a "real" butcher told me
                  I leave my in the cooler for 21-28 days (skin on)...would have no problem doing the same w/ quarters but it would be a chore for that long. Gotta keep it out of the water.

Comment

I just got through processing a deer yesterday that I had quartered and on ice for 15 days. It was frozen when I put it in the cooler, and I kept ice on it until I processed it. It was still fine and is resting in vacuum sealed bags in my freezer waiting on my culinary skills.

Your deer may smell a little gamey, but go inside a beef processing place, and they smell also. If it's just a little smelly, it's okay. If it smells bad, throw it out.
                    Last edited by Burnadell; 12-21-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I dont like to keep my meat on ice for more than 7 days. That is good packed ice with liquid drained no less than once a day, a couple times a day is ideal.
                      I do believe in dry aging in a refriderator up to 18 -20 days. I check it daily and pat down with towels to not let it sit in any bloody liquid what so ever.
                      Fridge temp needs to be between 33-35 degrees. It gets a really sweat smell to it when its ready. if you go to long trust me the smell is not sweet and there is no ??? if it has gone bad.

Comment

I also have had deer on ice for up to 14 days and as long as you keep it covered and covered in ice and drained it should be ok, however I tried it on a doe axis one time and it went bad. Had to trash it, such a waste.
                        I would not recommend it on a axis, but it could have been just one of those things.
                        If it has a smell to it…may be to late.

Comment

I just finished grinding my hagerman doe this past Saterday after let her sit in a ice chest for two weeks. I drained it everyday and added new ice everyday,and no problems.

Comment

Did you have the baby and forget about the meat???

Comment

Ill keep mine in cooler 4-5 days if part of it is messed up from shot,otherwise process soon as possible,now if you muscle out or cube,makes more sense,cause your not doing anything to the inside of that quarter by leaving it in cooler.JMO

Comment

Oh my GOD, I would not eat that meat. Just Jokin, keep on ice you should be fine. I promise you, you don't want to know how they age meat in Brazil & Polland.

Comment

Working...
                                X