No announcement yet.

High FOC Arrow Build ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I start my own thread? I have questions about testing methodologies.

What is the basic procedure for determining how much point weight my shaft can handle?
    With a bare shaft everything from the 75-300 grain point seems to be flying about the same.
    (310 grain arrow with no point or fletchings for total weight between 385 and 610)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post

What is the basic procedure for determining how much point weight my shaft can handle?
      With a bare shaft everything from the 75-300 grain point seems to be flying about the same.
      (310 grain arrow with no point or fletchings for total weight between 385 and 610)
      For determining point weight, shoot groups at the longest range you can hold a good group at and see which one groups the best. The one that groups the best is the one where you’re arrow spine, shaft length, bow, and point weight are working together optimally.

I doubt they are flying the same, the heavier points should be slower and hitting lower. Do you mean they are hitting the same horizontally? That is to be expected as compounds show spine issues vertically and not horizontally typically. If you’re reading about people bareshaft tuning traditional bows shot with fingers off the shelf, those rigs will show spine mismatches horizontally because of the forces applied to the arrow as it is shot off the shelf. You won’t see that same thing with a compound. You will probably be able to see the effects of point weight on the spine by shooting through paper at about 3 yards. As the spine breaks down with heavier point weight, you should see a vertical tear appear and/or become worse.

This paper exercise is just to show you what is happening in a way that should largely exclude the arrow weight difference and show you what is happening with the shaft. I’d shoot whatever shaft and weight combo grouped the best with the broadheads I wanted to shoot at a speed I was happy with regardless of what the paper exercise looked like. I would expect the one that shot best through paper to shoot the best at distance, but I wouldn’t care if they didn’t.

D

Comment

Originally posted by dk_ace View Post
        For determining point weight, shoot groups at the longest range you can hold a good group at and see which one groups the best. The one that groups the best is the one where you’re arrow spine, shaft length, bow, and point weight are working together optimally.

I doubt they are flying the same, the heavier points should be slower and hitting lower. Do you mean they are hitting the same horizontally? That is to be expected as compounds show spine issues vertically and not horizontally typically. If you’re reading about people bareshaft tuning traditional bows shot with fingers off the shelf, those rigs will show spine mismatches horizontally because of the forces applied to the arrow as it is shot off the shelf. You won’t see that same thing with a compound. You will probably be able to see the effects of point weight on the spine by shooting through paper at about 3 yards. As the spine breaks down with heavier point weight, you should see a vertical tear appear and/or become worse.

This paper exercise is just to show you what is happening in a way that should largely exclude the arrow weight difference and show you what is happening with the shaft. I’d shoot whatever shaft and weight combo grouped the best with the broadheads I wanted to shoot at a speed I was happy with regardless of what the paper exercise looked like. I would expect the one that shot best through paper to shoot the best at distance, but I wouldn’t care if they didn’t.

D
        Thanks. I've only shot one at 10 yards so far because I wasn't sure they would track well enough without fletchings. I'll build a few more and group check them at distance.

Comment

Thanks. I've only shot one at 10 yards so far because I wasn't sure they would track well enough without fletchings. I'll build a few more and group check them at distance.
          If you are talking about bareshafts, it is very difficult to shoot bareshafts accurately at long distance. It requires essentially perfect shot execution or else you won’t know if the grouping issues are the result of a spine mismatch or less than perfect shooting.

Most people would be better served by shooting the one bareshaft close range at paper with the different points to see how they effect the arrow shaft. Then with that knowledge fletch up a bunch and start shooting fletched arrows at distance. The paper exercise could just as easily be done with fletched shafts for that matter as it won’t matter at 3 yards.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
            Sounds like you are on the right track. Please keep me updated so I can compare the three archery programs to what works best for you. I keep a database of these things so I can see what happens in the real world versus what happens in ballistic programs.

That thing is going to be a killer for sure.
            Final Specs on the arrow build:

Black Eagle X Impact 250 Spine
            305 Grains total front weight
            - Ethics Archery Stainless Steel Outserts 180 Grains
            - 125 Grain Field Points / Iron Will 125 Grain Solid Broadheads
            4 fletched with AAE Pro Max Vanes
            Standard Nocks

Total weight +/- 611 grains
            Chrono is still broken at Archery Country but Archers Advantage estimates roughly 270 fps
            FOC is 21.73%
            Momentum of 73.25 slug ft/sec
            Kinetic Energy of 98.89 ft lbs.

After a couple clicks on the micro adjust QAD, the field tips, bare shafts, and Iron Will Broadheads are all grouping together out to 27 yards (as far as I can reach in the back yard).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

this is the best method I've found to check tip weight to shaft. but bow must be put back into factory settings.

by doing this method you will find the correct reaction. now this is with precut arrows. the best way to get an arrow with correct reaction is the cut and trim method.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                this is the best method I've found to check tip weight to shaft. but bow must be put back into factory settings.

by doing this method you will find the correct reaction. now this is with precut arrows. the best way to get an arrow with correct reaction is the cut and trim method.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AtVqxLy9AZcGhAyHZPxIO1153s-d
                Thanks. I only bought one test kit of field points. I guess I need a couple more so I can group tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

Standard Nocks

Chrono is still broken at Archery Country but Archers Advantage estimates roughly 270 fps
                  FOC is 21.73%

After a couple clicks on the micro adjust QAD, the field tips, bare shafts, and Iron Will Broadheads are all grouping together out to 27 yards (as far as I can reach in the back yard).

Good luck with these arrows I shot them a few years ago and they were very brittle. Ive used the x impact, deep impact, carnivores and currently use the spartan. X impact has been the weakest. The others are awesome.

Comment

Thanks. I only bought one test kit of field points. I guess I need a couple more so I can group tune.
                    You due need at least two of the different weights. Now you can put paper over the target and shoot the fletched then put tip on the bare and just mark impacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post

Standard Nocks

FOC is 21.73%

Sounds like one heck of a set up!

Comment

Tagged great info [emoji1360]

Comment

Working...
                        X