Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Llano River bridge over Lake LBJ is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I will say that last night 10:00 weather said there would be some rain and some flooding on the Llano River, however it will be nothing like last week. You can't trust the weather folks.
    When I went to bed last night, I was getting alerts that the river would crest at 35 feet, which is much higher than last week's crest of 24 feet but not high enough to flood our house. It would be up in the backyard though. I thought that would be something neat to go see.
    When I woke up at 5 am I just had an awful feeling. Turned on my phone and saw evacuations were taking place at the RV park up the street from our house and I knew it was going to be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      this mindset and the decisions today will be fully analyzed over the coming weeks, and a few folks will likely be leaving due to the fallout.

Downstream is downstream, and you can't sacrifice the lake or the dam because someone built in the river basins south of the dam.

It's always been that way.
      They also probably can’t afford to lose much water out of those lakes due to the heavy usage. They wouldn’t want to draw them down just to have the forecast be wrong, but like you said the decisions made will be analyzed. As these events become more and more common, it’s more important than ever to learn from them.

Also...You hit the nail on the head about building in flood plains. I just don’t understand it!

Comment

There is another video on there that shows the bridge in Llano. Water is about two feet under that bridge. That is nuts!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post

Also...You hit the nail on the head about building in flood plains. I just don’t understand it!
          Harvey taught us that you can build your house completely out of a flood plain and it can still flood.

People that build on constant level lakes have a similar expectation that their docks will not be washed away and their homes will not flood because the lake level will be maintained at a near- constant level. People living on Lake Travis know their lake level will fluctuate dramatically...which is why they build higher and have floating docks.

I've never seen LBJ and Marble Falls flood like this. It's not something that is supposed to happen. We either had more water come down than anyone expected or LCRA dropped the ball.

Our river house is in the 100 year flood plain but we carry flood insurance.
          Last edited by Sika; 10-16-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Picture from the Wirtz dam. My boat is under that long blue roof

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
              Harvey taught us that you can build your house completely out of a flood plain and it can still flood.

People that build on constant level lakes have a similar expectation that their docks will not be washed away and their homes will not flood because the lake level will be maintained at a near- constant level. People living on Lake Travis know their lake level will fluctuate dramatically...which is why they build higher and have floating docks.

I've never seen LBJ and Marble Falls flood like this. It's not something that is supposed to happen. We either had more water come down than anyone expected or LCRA dropped the ball.

Our river house is in the 100 year flood plain but we carry flood insurance.
              The term "constant level lakes" is not really a good one. They are pass through lakes meaning they don't control flooding. As for the bolded part; I think they got more water than they expected and they probably should have been letting some water out. The problem just didn't compound, it was exponentially worse.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post

that is an amazing, and eerie, sight

We are certainly wishing the best for everyone affected by this flooding.

Thank you for all the calls, texts, and messages and offers for help today.

Comment

I know our house is going to have water in it. Just need the water level to come down so I can get up there to see just how bad it is

Comment

Not owning a home near any water can you buy flood insurance ? I know in the past where I lived we could not , as it was too much of a risk for the insurance company

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      Not owning a home near any water can you buy flood insurance ? I know in the past where I lived we could not , as it was too much of a risk for the insurance company

FEMA issues it. Not a regular insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                        yes -- it will be a NFIP policy just like any other.

it's really cheap (like $400 a year) if you are in flood zone x.

They are limited to $250k for the dwelling and 100k for contents.

No coverage for more than one detached garage (limited to 10% of the dwelling coverage)

No coverage for pools, decks, fences, sidewalks, driveways, etc.

There are excess policies available through companies like Pure for excess limit amounts.

Flood insurance is really expensive until you have a claim. Then it seems really cheap.

We pay a little under 2K a year for 250k of coverage, and we are in the flood zone (with a 10K deductible), but we are probably looking at a $150,000 claim right now if the house flooded.
                        Last edited by Atfulldraw; 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

That looks like something out of a movie...
                          Last edited by bounds; 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

That's a scary looking picture. Our friends in Segovia had the Johnson Fork come up and get one of their trucks. No electricity. Craziness for sure.

Comment

Man I don't wish this on anyone. We lost the main house and my son and I shoveled sand and rock out of others on our place on the Sabinal for three weekends in a row.

Prayers for all of those affected by the waters.

Comment

And get one of those big magnets to drag around. I don't know how many pounds of nails we picked up that washed down river with the debris.

Comment

Working...
                                X