Ugh...SLAP tear, gonna need shoulder surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    Short answer is I'm very active and wore it out. Martial arts, archery, weight lifting, hauling countless tons of corn, deer leases, building and lifting heavy crap you name it.
    This is what I am concerned about. I am the same way. I've been lifting for many years and I think I have worn it out.

I used to be able to do 75-80lb dumbbell shoulder presses now a 45lb on my left is painful and it cracks with each rep. My right shoulder is still solid (knock on wood)

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
      This is what I am concerned about. I am the same way. I've been lifting for many years and I think I have worn it out.

I used to be able to do 75-80lb dumbbell shoulder presses now a 45lb on my left is painful and it cracks with each rep. My right shoulder is still solid (knock on wood)
      On shoulders & back days my general routine was shoulder press, dips, pullups, Ys & Ts. When reading about labral tears the top 3 exercises to avoid...shoulder press, dips, preacher curls. So now I get to completely re-think & restructure my shoulder & back day.

When I visited my ortho doc the first time he ruled out the rotator cuff but when he started hearing my should click & pop during certain motions is when he knew it was a labral tear, even before my MRI. Go get it checked out...hopefully it's not torn and it's something you can rehab.

Comment

On shoulders & back days my general routine was shoulder press, dips, pullups, Ys & Ts. When reading about labral tears the top 3 exercises to avoid...shoulder press, dips, preacher curls. So now I get to completely re-think & restructure my shoulder & back day.

When I visited my ortho doc the first time he ruled out the rotator cuff but when he started hearing my should click & pop during certain motions is when he knew it was a labral tear, even before my MRI. Go get it checked out...hopefully it's not torn and it's something you can rehab.
        Dang I do all three of those. Didn't even think of the preachers but now you mention it. If you have an 80-90lb barbell hanging over that ledge, thats ALOT of strain on your shoulders. DANG..

Yeah I am not in a hurry to do anything with it. Its not hindering me yet, just lost strength and now I take shoulder exercise very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
          Dang I do all three of those. Didn't even think of the preachers but now you mention it. If you have an 80-90lb barbell hanging over that ledge, thats ALOT of strain on your shoulders. DANG..

Yeah I am not in a hurry to do anything with it. Its not hindering me yet, just lost strength and now I take shoulder exercise very easy.
          What I didn't know was that the biceps tendon is CONNECTED to the labrum. So when you isolate the biceps on the preacher curl pad it's putting a lot of unnecessary load there. And yes I did preachers on chest & arms day

Click image for larger version

Name:	labrum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	24550706
          Last edited by JonBoy; 08-21-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

What I didn't know was that the biceps tendon is CONNECTED to the labrum. So when you isolate the biceps on the preacher curl pad it's putting a lot of unnecessary load there. And yes I did preachers on chest & arms day

[ATTACH]921097[/ATTACH]
            Had no idea, thanks!

Comment

I'm FREE!!! 4 1/2 week post surgery and the sling got to come off today. I'm at full 180 degrees on table slides and past 90 degrees on external rotation...all that stretching paid off. Now it's time to beast mode this rehab...just got a whole list of exercises to start doing.

Comment

I'm FREE!!! 4 1/2 week post surgery and the sling got to come off today. I'm at full 180 degrees on table slides and past 90 degrees on external rotation...all that stretching paid off. Now it's time to beast mode this rehab...just got a whole list of exercises to start doing.
                Liberating aint it! Good luck and dont do more than they tell you. Constant and steady wins this race.

Comment

Dadgummit! Hate this for you, especially right before bow season.

Comment

6 weeks post op today...been doing my prescribed stretching and exercises twice daily without fail. I had my initial evaluation by the physical therapist today...she was nothing short of speechless at my progress and lack of pain. I have 100% range-of-motion on external rotation & flexion. I'm 90% on a few others I can't remember the names of and have been doing strengthening exercises well ahead of schedule. Range of motion reaching behind the back still has some work to do...only about 50% of the way there. She scheduled me for 6 weeks of therapy only once a week since I've been so diligent with doing my own PT (following my TBH bretheren's advice ) and she said I should be good to go after that.

I can see a light at the end of this tunnel and can hardly wait to start working up strength to start drawing a bow again.

Comment

Tore mine also playing ball way back in the day. Still have impingement issues

Comment

10 weeks post op. 100% range of motion recovered & discharged from stretching routine. PT now has me doing dumbbells & bodyweight exercises. Oh, and then there was this...full draw, half a dozen shots, no pain whatsoever. [emoji106][emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

10 weeks post op. 100% range of motion recovered & discharged from stretching routine. PT now has me doing dumbbells & bodyweight exercises. Oh, and then there was this...full draw, half a dozen shots, no pain whatsoever. [emoji106][emoji41][emoji106]

Having pretty much exactly the same surgery done on my shoulder in a few days. Nervous as hell and find your posts encouraging. How has your recovery been now that it's had plenty of time? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Snipe View Post
                            Having pretty much exactly the same surgery done on my shoulder in a few days. Nervous as hell and find your posts encouraging. How has your recovery been now that it's had plenty of time? Thanks
                            Doing great! 100% range of motion recovered. I was released back to full function back in January and am back to practicing martial arts without restrictions. Be diligent with your rehab and be a good patient!

Last edited by JonBoy; 03-09-2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snipe View Post

Do your exercises exactly as the therapist says. DO NOT SLACK OFF!! When I had my shoulder done that is what I was told and what a difference it made. Now, as we type I sit here 3 weeks after a total left knee replacement . Following this rule of thumb I have 105 degrees of motion and full weight Bering and don’t need any walking device. It’s going to suck to begin with but trust all of us when we tell you , take your time and don’t rush it . Good luck to you sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had my right shoulder done at the end of my senior year(03’). A doc in Dallas did it and he was great. Like other have said it’s a 4” scar on the front of my shoulder, they had to drill a hole in my collarbone and reconnect it with a screw. They had me doing PT the next morning. It was very painful 1st month I slept in a chair most nights. I was lucky enough to have access to the field house before and after school and was able to do heat/ice, electric stimulation and some deep tissue machine on top of the standard PT. I was back to normal in 4 months and about 2 years after surgery I won a bench press competition in college with 500 lbs.... so I’m a firm believer in PT. I did the exact opposite with my acl surgery and my knee is still a wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X