No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone going to be out there this weekend? I'm about to leave the office to load the truck and hit the road.

Not sure yet where I'm going to setup camp/hunt yet. Hunted Plum Creek and Devils Canyon during bow season. I'll ponder it on the 6 hour drive.

Comment

The deer were moving yesterday. I assume it will warm back up, not sure how well they will be moving with it warmer. Not sure what the weather is supposed to be like this weekend.

Comment

Hunted Meredith for the last 5 days. Evans getting LOTS of activity. Saw more hunters than deer. Saw one guy riding the canyon on horse back. Found 2 camp sites. One down by the mouth of the canyon the other up on a long point that goes out in the canyon. They camped right on the end of the point. With the water up Evans is easy pickings for everyone. Saw some guys that looked like they were hunting from the boat in Martins. Time to walk farther than most people want too. A side note - we did not see a single whitetail this trip. Last 3 years saw lots of them out in the lake bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
          Hunted Meredith for the last 5 days. Evans getting LOTS of activity. Saw more hunters than deer. Saw one guy riding the canyon on horse back. Found 2 camp sites. One down by the mouth of the canyon the other up on a long point that goes out in the canyon. They camped right on the end of the point. With the water up Evans is easy pickings for everyone. Saw some guys that looked like they were hunting from the boat in Martins. Time to walk farther than most people want too. A side note - we did not see a single whitetail this trip. Last 3 years saw lots of them out in the lake bed.

My conclusion on what you see, either mule deer or whitetail, seems to have a lot to do with where and how you hunt. So far out of three trips up there. I have not seen a single whitetail up there. I have read a lot, most guys either see whitetails or mule deer. If you read all they have to say, you can figure that is has to do with the areas they are hunting or how they are hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
            My conclusion on what you see, either mule deer or whitetail, seems to have a lot to do with where and how you hunt. So far out of three trips up there. I have not seen a single whitetail up there. I have read a lot, most guys either see whitetails or mule deer. If you read all they have to say, you can figure that is has to do with the areas they are hunting or how they are hunting.

Very true. What I would stress more than anything is having good glass and a spotting scope. I know it may sound ludicrous and heavy, but hunting that type of terrain demands a lot out of your optics. We were chasing muleys but just happened to see those whitetails down low. If we hadn’t been up at the top of the canyon, we never would’ve seen em. Funny thing is, the buck we watched bedded down out in the wide open in pretty much waist deep grass. You’d never see him til you were on top of him if you were walking around out there. But those deer know that, and it makes them feel safe.

One other thing. If you’re smart/ballsy enough to pack a set of lightweight waders and are willing to cross the Canadian river, it’ll definitely pay off!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
              Very true. What I would stress more than anything is having good glass and a spotting scope. I know it may sound ludicrous and heavy, but hunting that type of terrain demands a lot out of your optics. We were chasing muleys but just happened to see those whitetails down low. If we hadn’t been up at the top of the canyon, we never would’ve seen em. Funny thing is, the buck we watched bedded down out in the wide open in pretty much waist deep grass. You’d never see him til you were on top of him if you were walking around out there. But those deer know that, and it makes them feel safe.

One other thing. If you’re smart/ballsy enough to pack a set of lightweight waders and are willing to cross the Canadian river, it’ll definitely pay off!
              I went across the river a couple of days, I probably won't do that again. I would have to try some different things. I saw a lot of deer sign and have heard a lot of shots from over there. About the only living creatures I saw over there had orange on.

I hunt by myself, I really don't want to be that far from the truck. Would be a very long hike out with a deer. I have found at least four different areas, that I really like the looks of for hunting, that are not on the other side of the river. Unless I have help to get a deer out, I would not hunt on the west side of Mullinaw's crossing. I have never been to the left once you get over to the other side of the river, from the river, there are some areas, that look interesting. But I have never gone that direction. Then I also have seen some stuff that looks interesting if you do turn right or north on the other side of the river, but it's a long trip to that area.

As it is, I have found four or five areas that do not require me to cross the river, those are the places I will try next year. One area, looks very interesting, kind of surprised there were not hunters all over that area, I bet I know why. But I am really not sure. I definitely want to try that area, along with another area, that is close to that area.

Comment

We had a good trip. We were camped at Evans for the first 2 days. We knew the canyon would get a lot of attention due to the water level and boat access. I had scouted it back at beginning of November. The goal was to hope other hunters pushed deer over us. We then camped at lower plum creek the rest of the trip and day packed in. Saw lots of muleys and whitetail in all the areas we went. Saw more muley doe this trip than ever before just from driving to different spots. As long as there is boat access to Evans and Martin's they will overrun with boat traffic.

Comment

Has anyone been out lately? Any reports to give? I plan on trying to go out during the week after Christmas.

Comment

???

Comment

Haven't been out. I have been waiting for cooler weather...look like it is going to be here just in time for Christmas!

Comment

yup

Comment

Hey guys I have been out at LM the last couple of days the cold weather is here for sure. I have never hunted this as i am from dallas. but I have found my favorite spot to hunt moving forward. Like some of you guys said this is hard hunting which is what i love. Any advise or if anyone is up for it I am headed out on saturday for an all day hunt.

Comment

How did you end up doing PublicLandFreaks? Where did you try? How many miles did you put in?

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

I ended up walking a couple of miles and hunting up to the archery and shotgun only spot at Bonita creek. Did see anything but a yote. Looking forward to a couple of scouting trips in the off season to get me ready for mule deer season.

Comment

Working...
                                X