No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was there last week scouting. I typically walk in the day after Thanksgiving and don't see many people once you get a 1/4 mile off the road. I have seen a few people in Evans in 4 years and none in Devils at that time. Camp areas have people in them but they don't get in too far. Devils is a long haul this year since the Canadian is still moving pretty fast. The mud just getting to the river is calf deep. I have made the haul there from Plum Creek but its not fun. It really gets bad when you haul a deer out and have to go back the next day to get your camp.

As far as Evans from Plum Creek you would have to stay up top. I stayed high most of the time until I would hit a fence. I stayed in the river bottom after but its grown so much in the last 3 years. I had brush 8' high and was enough to make me turn back after 2.6 miles by GPS. The brush is crazy high right now so the deer are very well hidden. Good luck!

Comment

Hunted Devil's canyon Sunday, only went 2 miles in, sat out on a point for an hour, headed up the canyon and hunted the rims on the way out. Didn't see anything but coyotes. Saw what looked like a lot of 'road' hunters in McBride canyon, guys just driving around slowly in their trucks.

Comment

I spent two or three days in Big Canyon and Devils Canyon. Looked like some good area. When I first got into Big Canyon the first time, I found a very fresh gut pile. So that made things look hopeful. I never saw a deer, there, lots of orange walking around. That had to have been last year. I saw some areas that looked very good. I found a lot of deer beds, just did not find the deer that occupied those beds. I got very good at finding beds. What I concluded, is the deer move around at night, then some around the time the sun comes up, then they find a bed to get in and hold tight and watch the hunters. The areas I found beds, there is little chance you would see them in their beds and high chance they are going to see you and most beds had quick escape routes out the back side. Those deer are not dumb at all. I wanted to video some of the beds I found and the areas around them to show how hard it would be to see deer in those beds and how easily they could escape, if a hunter started heading their direction. I took pictures, but it was had to truly see the whole situation from a couple of pictures.

Comment

The mulies bed most of the day. I agree they move and piddle around at night but once they pick a spot in the morning to bed they won't go far at all unless spooked out of there. I'm sure the bucks will be on the move during rut but for the most part the way they hide in plain sight is what makes them so hard to find yet so easy to stalk (compared to whitetails)

Comment

Yeah, that is what I have noticed too. I have seen deer this season but just before shooting light headed thru the thickest areas to there beds!

Comment

Any recent reports?

Comment

I camped a few miles in on Devils Trail last weekend. Did not see anything and lots of hunters on horseback. Will be camping at Evans this weekend, hopefully will be able to get away from everyone else.

Comment

Any duck hunters or ducks?

Comment

I bet it looks like pumpkin patch this weekend!

Comment

First time at Meredith this week. First day we were after Muleys but watched a really good buck bed down with a doe about a mile out so we put a stalk on him. Blew it when we wound up 30 yards from him thinking he was further down. All in all, one heck of a fun deal to have glassed and stalked within bow range of a whitetail like that! Had patience been in play, we’d have had him.

Second day we ran into something incredibly weird. We watched a guy walk the river with a pit bull, in full
                      Blaze orange walk around rattling out in the middle of stuff. Really odd.

Gets even stranger. After he walked out of sight we heard a rifle go off and shortly after we saw the hunter walking back down the river the way which he came, but this time the pit bull wasn’t with him. I kept watching just to see if the dog would pop back up but he never did [emoji51]. I’m not saying he did or didn’t, but it sure looks like he put that dog down out there. Definitely weird and a little sad, though I don’t know the circumstances.

All in all it’s a really unique hunt, and I intend to go back. But by gosh be willing to sit and glass for hours on end, you WILL see deer if you’re willing to work for it. We put in around 30 miles total in 3 days of hunting. Saw around 5 other hunters total, and 0 muleys.

I intend to go back next year!

Comment

Joining the pumpkin patch early tomorrow. Hope to at least see something.

Comment

Made it to Evans canyon this morning at 7:00am, had a friend drop me off in his boat on the south side. Wow that canyon is huge, hunted all morning was deep in it whenever I hear about 15 rounds fired back behind me. Waited a bit to see if anything spooked my way and walked a .5 mile back out and see 6 hunters down in the canyon from the north and 2 bloody bucks just down the hill on my side. One is still alive, looked like a gut shot. They get closer and the buck jumps and they shoot him on the run. I was a bit disgusted at this point but tried to blow it off and hunt the canyon to the south of evans, saw a bunch of mule does and nothing else so I called my friend to come and get me. was out of there at 5:00pm. Saw a ton of horse tracks in the canyon but no horses. Ducks were flying but not too many. Lots of duck hunters on the lake all day. The hike to Evans was indeed much easier by boat.

Comment

This sounds like an awesome challenge. For you folks that hunt Meriedith and have hunted Amistad, how would you compare the hunts?? I know the terrain is different, I guess I am asking about how difficult it is to take a deer comparing Meredith to Amistad??

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                              Made it to Evans canyon this morning at 7:00am, had a friend drop me off in his boat on the south side. Wow that canyon is huge, hunted all morning was deep in it whenever I hear about 15 rounds fired back behind me. Waited a bit to see if anything spooked my way and walked a .5 mile back out and see 6 hunters down in the canyon from the north and 2 bloody bucks just down the hill on my side. One is still alive, looked like a gut shot. They get closer and the buck jumps and they shoot him on the run. I was a bit disgusted at this point but tried to blow it off and hunt the canyon to the south of evans, saw a bunch of mule does and nothing else so I called my friend to come and get me. was out of there at 5:00pm. Saw a ton of horse tracks in the canyon but no horses. Ducks were flying but not too many. Lots of duck hunters on the lake all day. The hike to Evans was indeed much easier by boat.

My buddy and I were set up on that point and one guy walked right in front of us and set up under 400 yards. The 6 others walked in behind us and then started shooting. We also counted 15 rounds. They had AR style rifles and were using them as binos. As soon as they started shooting I told my buddy I had just seen a hunter (turns out to be you) disappear in a draw where they were shooting toward. We had those 2 forkies within 300 yards of us for 45 min but weren't going to shoot anything that small.

Comment

jmack82, I do remember seeing you guys first from far off, ya'll were quiet and hunting the same strategy as me it looked like but then I heard all of those rounds and figured the whole canyon was blown out. I got out of there quick. Looks like they messed up ya'lls hunt as well. I guess hunting on a Thursday or Friday would be better, I honestly didn't expect to see many hunters back in that far.

How was the hike in from Martin's?

Comment

Working...
                                X