The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
    Tagged out in NM! Two solid bulls down near the Gila.. One we called in on a string and the other we spot and stalked. Mine was @ 50 yards and his was at 60. My first bull and his best to date. Could write pages about each one but it's been a long week with about 3 hours sleep each night, so I'm beat! Maybe later lol!
    Congrats fellas! Great bulls!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
      There needs to be a rule in this thread to not ask units.
      Why not? They don't have to give it out if they don't want. It's like not asking what county you hunt in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually it's not. Most elk are killed on public land. and they don't just give those tags away. But it really doesn't matter I guess if they want to give their spot away.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
          Actually it's not. Most elk are killed on public land. and they don't just give those tags away. But it really doesn't matter I guess if they want to give their spot away.
          Oh come on. We try to help each other out here. They aren't giving GPS coords. If someone doesn't know the Gila units are prime then they live under a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
            Why not? They don't have to give it out if they don't want. It's like not asking what county you hunt in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
            The Gila National Forest is 3.3 million acres.

Comment

Tagged out in NM! Two solid bulls down near the Gila.. One we called in on a string and the other we spot and stalked. Mine was @ 50 yards and his was at 60. My first bull and his best to date. Could write pages about each one but it's been a long week with about 3 hours sleep each night, so I'm beat! Maybe later lol!
              Nothing feels better than sitting on top of your big bull elk and grabbing those antlers... Congrats to you both!

Comment

Congrats on the 2 nice bulls!

Comment

I'll be going on my first elk hunt in Oct. Packing into unit 82 horseback for 2nd rifle. Trying to get in shape and round up all the gear I think I need. I'm pumped, should be an awesome trip no matter what.

Comment

Hey congrats on your bulls. The question about the units is more out of curiosity as ive only hunted in 2 different units in the Gila. Its just discussion. But whatever.

Comment

I don't mind talking about what unit I was in in or where the bulls were or any advice I can give, I'd just rather do it over a PM or phone call. So if you're really curious just PM me. I could really care less cause I'm in a well known trophy unit so it's not really a secret, but the people I hunted with might. One especially cause he's a local and took us to some of his lesser known spots..

Comment

Original plans were to leave for N.M. on the 6th. That didn't work out with 48' of rain. I had the house dry with 2 feet of sheet rock and insulation removed in two and a half days. Thought I could leave today, but when the first restaurant opened, I bought the wife a pizza and I got a hot sandwich. She is ok but I got food poisoning. After 3 days with no food I had lunch today. I hope to pack tomorrow and leave early Tuesday for the season opener on the 15th. If I get there the first elk I see is going to the processor

Comment

I wouldn't give the unit # of a unit on a public forum where someone just killed 2 nice bulls. It will definitely increase the number of folks applying the next year and decrease your odds. That kind of discussion should generally be done via pm

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                            Original plans were to leave for N.M. on the 6th. That didn't work out with 48' of rain. I had the house dry with 2 feet of sheet rock and insulation removed in two and a half days. Thought I could leave today, but when the first restaurant opened, I bought the wife a pizza and I got a hot sandwich. She is ok but I got food poisoning. After 3 days with no food I had lunch today. I hope to pack tomorrow and leave early Tuesday for the season opener on the 15th. If I get there the first elk I see is going to the processor
                            Dang that is tough to overcome. Hopefully the days spent in the high desert will help.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                              I wouldn't give the unit # of a unit on a public forum where someone just killed 2 nice bulls. It will definitely increase the number of folks applying the next year and decrease your odds. That kind of discussion should generally be done via pm
                              Don't say that, we help everybody out here lol. They are living under a rock if they think handing out unit numbers won't affect the draw odds or pressure if they want to go back. That's why you only take extremely trusted people to your spots. Because if they tell a couple people then those tell a couple people and so on. And before you know it the original guy is sitting there wondering why his spot is covered up with people. Lol. Even if you just say the national forest name. That will narrow it down to a few units. Just a heads up for people this hasn't happened to yet.

Comment

The size of these units and the relative small reach of Texas Bowhunter isn't going to change your draw odds. I hunt unit 55 in CO, come find me.

Just one more day!! Packing all my stuff tomorrow night

Comment

Working...
                                X