20# propane cyl for boxstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20# propane cyl for boxstand

Has anyone ever put a 20# propane cylinder in ground with top even with surface? I'm looking to use one for a heater and would like to (1)conceal it with easy access to valve and (2) maybe ground will stop it from freezing up in cold temps. I do know I need it not completely sealed where it can air out but would like to conceal it with a leafy or net cover to hide it from deer and people. Don't want to just dig a hole and put it in. Would like some sort of ventilated container to hold back dirt. Any ideas?

Build a wooden box with vents

Comment

If you want it in ground burry a small trash can with lid and possible wrap the bottle? My brother has his above ground in a trash can with no issues that I know of on those cold hunts

Comment

Finding a container has been an issue. They are a little to big OD for a 5 gallon bucket.

Comment

Could build a wooden box but would prefer to find a plastic or metal container to house it

Comment

I just weld a hook to the bottom of the frame of blinds I build. Near the stairs coming up. I usually build a 3-5’ tower.

Easy access.

I’ve just left them sitting on a couple of pavers on the ground. Had one blind set up like this for 24 years now. It’s never given me any trouble, even with temperatures in the teens.

I suppose you could get creative if you have a need for any kind of a enclosure or concealment.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Use a milk crate. Wrap the outside with foam board insulation and drop in hole. Cylinder comes out easy and crate with insulation on the outside stay in the hole. Mine is at my elevated box blind now. I just had a hose made up long enough to go up to my heater.

Comment

Amazon has blanket wraps for the 20# cylinders that keep it from freezing up.

Comment

Common causes are the regulator and humidity, both can cause your tank to freeze up. I don't know that burying the tank would necessarily solve your issue with it freezing. If the regulator is allowing the propane to pass through to quickly it will freeze the tank making it inoperable until it thaws out.
                  Last edited by Tractorguy; 02-06-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Mine worked fine even on a day like this. I've been using it for years! The tank sits on the ground 8ft. below with extended hose to Mr. Heater!

Comment

You don't need insulation for the propane. The boiling point for it is -44, so unless your hunting in the arctic you should be good. Now I would recommend concealment and cover to hide it and keep the weather from rusting out tank. A small painted trashcan and lid will work perfectly and provide you with easy access. If you bury it you invite a host of concerns, including a pit for water to collect, an unsealed area for bugs and critters to hang out and more.

Comment

Concealment is the main reason for burying it. Hiding from people mainly. Don't have a trespass problem on lease but it is timber company land and do not want to make it an easy snatch and grab. A sealed trash can at least partially buried would probably do the trick and keep it clean and dry. Thanks for all the replies

Comment

Working...
                        X