What to do when a wounded deer crosses over to private property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do when a wounded deer crosses over to private property

I'm curious what would one have to do if you shoot a deer that you know you have hit and it runs across the national forest line into private property. You have no way of contacting an owner to gain permission and you don't feel comfortable crossing over for fear of trespassing or altercation. I guess this is sort of a baited question but I'm curious to hear the response.

I would wish he ran the other way.....

Comment

I'm somewhat holding back with details but I have been told that as long as you leave your gun on the NF side that you can track a wounded animal across property lines with the intent to recover. This is just one persons word and I have nothing to back it up.

Comment

Hmmmmmm I would think trespassing is trespassing. And crossing into private property is trespassing is it not?

Not stating it as fact more asking i guess.

Comment

Call the game warden and let him go with u!!!!!

Comment

This is probably gonna get me flamed,but i feel i owe it to the animal to recover. I am willing to face a tresspassing charge to do so. I would make every legal effort to claim animal first, even call the local warden in for help before trespassing. Is property marked as no tresspass?

Comment

You would need to call the GW , he will make sure that the deer was shot on the public side of the fence, and then he will do what needs to be done, contact landowners , go with you or whatever.

Comment

Well I'm not wanting to get into a heated debate with anyone, or get anyone "flamed" so I'll leave it at a question in hopes of getting a legal answer absent of personal bias or feeling. Bottom line is it happens, probably more than we like, but what is the legal responsibility and limitation of a hunter whose wounded game has crossed property lines. Ethically I "feel" that you should be able to persue your game without legal reprecussion of trespassing. Unfortunatley, not everyone "feels" the way I do.

As far as the no trespassing notice, the forest boundaries are clearly defined and if they are not, you as a hunter have the responsibility to educate yourself on your boundary limitations. I don't think that you have to post a "no trespassing" notice to keep people off of your property. Isn't it somewhat implied that if it is not your property and you don't have permission to be there, then you shouldn't?
                Last edited by mfields75; 01-06-2010, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I would go knock on his door. Tell him were I was hunting, explain to him the whole sitution, ask him if he would like to walk were ever with me to show him what i am talking about and hopefully were can come to an agreement over a simple problem. if not then i would call the man and let him deal with it. i would just go be going ninja over peoples fences because some crazy old man might go to far. but each is on and people make there own decisions.

Comment

Call the game warden and let him go with u!!!!!
                    x2 and a lot of them that have public land in there area know a lot of the surrounding property owners.

Comment

Couple of years ago a bowhunter (kid) shot one out behind my parent's house. Got excited and did not give the buck time to bleed out. It ran through my paren'ts yard and down a subdivision street before it crashed nearly on someones front porch. They were anti-hunters and called the sherriff. Did not want to let the kid take the deer. Don't know what the outcome was....

I'm very careful not to take a shot if I think the animal will jump toward private property but you never know when they will spin and go the other direction.

Comment

Trespassing with a gun in pursuit of any big game species is a felony. If you do decide to jump the fence at least leave the gun behind.

Comment

Trespassing without a weapon is a misdemeaner (I think) and trespassing with a weapon is a felony, as said before. It doesn't matter what for.
                          You only legal option is to call the warden. Otherwise, you are open to prosecution if caught.

Comment

Call the game warden. Proceed with caution.

Comment

Razor is correct. If you have no obvious way to contact the landowner, then call a game warden. That still may not work, but at least you've done your best. Other than that, commit to hunting further from the boundary...

John.

Comment

Working...
                              X