Experimental “diet”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimental “diet”

Curious if any one else has tried this. I’m not reading any books, using any apps or counting points or doing portion control or limiting when I eat. The only control measure is that I have started eating only natural things. If it runs, flies, swims, or grows, I eat it. If not, I don’t. No processed food and no man made anything. I’ve done some no-carb type diets in the past that are somewhat similar but far more limiting, and although they work initially or temporarily they fail because they constantly remind you of what you want but can’t have.

Been trying this for the past 7 days as an experiment. So far it seems like it might be more sustainable, because (1) I’ve made up the rules for myself LOL, and (2) I sort of already believe it will work. I experienced the relentless sugar and carb craving on the 3rd day but made it through and now my appetite is becoming more predictable.

I snack when and how much I want but even that is beginning to taper off. The most surprising result though is that my acid reflux has all but disappeared. I was taking Zantac daily with Tums or another Zantac as needed. Haven’t needed to take anything since Jan 5th. Alertness has improved and the intensity of anxiety has decreased. Granted any weight loss is easy right after the no holds barred food shoveling that happens over the holidays, but I am down 8lbs in 7days. I expect that to taper off pretty quickly based on previous “dieting”, but the difference is that I am currently not doing any portion control or limiting when I eat.

I had a physical right before Christmas and will use that bloodwork and other info as my baseline. I’m going to go get bloodwork done again at the end of the month and then quarterly just to see what changes happen.

From the way it sounds, sounds like you’re going the Paleo diet route.

A clean and healthy sustainable way of eating.

Comment

This ^^^. Good luck.

I like convenience too much to stick to just about any diet.

Comment

Did something similar last year and felt so much better. I fell off that wagon though.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          I have started eating only natural things. If it runs, flies, swims, or grows, I eat it. If not, I don’t. No processed food and no man made anything.
          This is what I have been doing for about 6 months now...and throw in organic and no farmed fish/seafood of any sort. I have come to my own conclusion that all these chemicals going into animals, and all the processed,preserved foods are what is causing cancer in so many people. I have to slip up occasionally but I still feel the amount of all that crap that I don't put into my body compared to others has been a big benefit.
          The one big thing I have noticed after starting this and having to slip up and eat some fast food or a can of soup every now and then....is how salty it is!!

Comment

If it runs, flies, swims, or grows, I eat it.
            Not trying to be a wise ***. What does this mean? All the food I can think of contains at least one of these three things. Processed foods (Sausauge, chips, etc...) contain all these things. Are you saying no more seasonings? Are you ditching alcohol too?

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Not trying to be a wise ***. What does this mean? All the food I can think of contains at least one of these three things. Processed foods (Sausauge, chips, etc...) contain all these things. Are you saying no more seasonings? Are you ditching alcohol too?

Basically ditching processed food. Beef, venison, chicken, ducks/turkeys/geese, fish, shrimp, crawfish, lamb, wild and domestic pork, all veggies, all fruits, all grains as long as they are in natural form, etc. are all ok. No flour, bread, sugar....haven’t decided on cheese but have been avoiding it in general, no salad dressings that contain anything except oil/vinegar and seasoning, no chips or really anything that comes in a box or wrapper, not sure yet on canned fruit/veggies but probably will avoid those too. Nothing fried or wrapped or coated in anything. I still use seasoning though that is probably more salt than needed or intended. Basically go crazy in the produce and meat section with natural grains if you want. Seasoning without sugar or msg ok but that’s about it.

For example, this weekend we made chili. 3lbs venison, onion, garlic, and yes dammit beans, cumin, chili powder. That’s it. No cheese, no chips or crackers. I wolfed more than any diet with portion control would allow but everything that was in it was a natural item. Hard boiled eggs, sushi/poke, grilled/baked/smoked animal, fresh veggies and fruit, jambalaya, dirty rice, carne guisada, asado de puerco, venison stew, stuffed peppers, these ****** venison meatballs my wife makes with tons of black pepper, man!. Tons of awesome stuff to make to shovel into my fat face but none of it has a processed or man made ingredient.

I’ll eat the hell out of some rice but I don’t really like oatmeal or other grains. I had a guy at work tell me I’m not allowed to have rice LOL. Oh really? If I do I’m not following the whatever diet. Don’t care, it’s an experiment that I am admittedly making judgment calls on certain things as I go.

And yes on alcohol. Probably the one thing that doesn’t fit the plan but also the one thing that in moderation won’t be my undoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                ....is how salty it is!!

I’ve started to notice a lessening desire for salt as well. We had steak last night and I normally out salt on mine even though I grill them with seasoning. Didn’t want salt and didn’t even notice until after I’d eaten half of it.

Comment

Sounds similar to what I started in August. I got off track during the holidays but back on. It's hard to find some alternatives, but for the most part did. I still take half and half in my coffee though.

I have a physical in October and my numbers were the best they had been in several years, especially triglycerides and overall cholesteral. HDL and LDL still need a little bit of work, but the doc was happy with my results.

Hardest part for me was cutting out sodas. But now it isn't a big problem. I had headaches for the first couple of weeks but was fine after that.

Comment

I also lost 32 lbs in less than three months. I gained back 10 over the holidays but have shed half of that.

This diet was given to me by a surgeon that is going to do a hip replacement on me later this year. I just need to shed some more weight before that happens.

Comment

Basically ditching processed food. Beef, venison, chicken, ducks/turkeys/geese, fish, shrimp, crawfish, lamb, wild and domestic pork, all veggies, all fruits, all grains as long as they are in natural form, etc. are all ok. No flour, bread, sugar....haven’t decided on cheese but have been avoiding it in general, no salad dressings that contain anything except oil/vinegar and seasoning, no chips or really anything that comes in a box or wrapper, not sure yet on canned fruit/veggies but probably will avoid those too. Nothing fried or wrapped or coated in anything. I still use seasoning though that is probably more salt than needed or intended. Basically go crazy in the produce and meat section with natural grains if you want. Seasoning without sugar or msg ok but that’s about it.

For example, this weekend we made chili. 3lbs venison, onion, garlic, and yes dammit beans, cumin, chili powder. That’s it. No cheese, no chips or crackers. I wolfed more than any diet with portion control would allow but everything that was in it was a natural item. Hard boiled eggs, sushi/poke, grilled/baked/smoked animal, fresh veggies and fruit, jambalaya, dirty rice, carne guisada, asado de puerco, venison stew, stuffed peppers, these ****** venison meatballs my wife makes with tons of black pepper, man!. Tons of awesome stuff to make to shovel into my fat face but none of it has a processed or man made ingredient.

I’ll eat the hell out of some rice but I don’t really like oatmeal or other grains. I had a guy at work tell me I’m not allowed to have rice LOL. Oh really? If I do I’m not following the whatever diet. Don’t care, it’s an experiment that I am admittedly making judgment calls on certain things as I go.

And yes on alcohol. Probably the one thing that doesn’t fit the plan but also the one thing that in moderation won’t be my undoing.

Nice. And beans should be in chili, so you're good there! I would suggest, if you need chips, get plantain chips. A little salt on them and they are very good. We make ours ourselves.

Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        Nice. And beans should be in chili, so you're good there! I would suggest, if you need chips, get plantain chips. A little salt on them and they are very good. We make ours ourselves.

Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Sweet potato chips are pretty good when homemade as well. I used to be very good about no processed food and no sugar. I’m almost ready to eat clean again. Good luck to you!

Comment

lmao.... All I can do is laugh at that title.

Someone trying to lose weight and says Experimental and DIET.. Both won't last long

Comment

Just curious here.....the people that have problems with “soda”, why not just switch to diet or one of the “zero” options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. I’m very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.
                            Last edited by Trevor73402; 01-07-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                              Just curious here.....the people that have problems with “soda”, why not just switch to diet or one of the “zero” options? They have zero calories, zero carbs, and you can even get caffeine free if that is what you are trying to get away from. I realize they are full of chemicals....no way around that other than just not drinking them. I’m very healthy and in extremely good shape, but I still drink 2-4 caffeine free Coke Zeros per day. Mainly with my meals. I very much dislike drinking water with my meals.

*** As for taste, I honestly prefer Coke Zero over regular Coke. Same for Diet Dr.Pepper versus regular. The real version is just way too syrupy/sugary for me.
                              Why not just drink water?

Comment

Working...
                              X