No announcement yet.

Weatherby accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riley has the Weatherby Girls hunt too vanguard accumark in 22-250 and that thing drives tacks

Comment

Accuracy has so much to do with barrel harmonics and load development that it’s easy to see why one person says they’re not shooters while another says they are.

Comment

If you are a Weatherby owner it sure pays to be a reloader at the $ of the ammo. Benefit you get to taylor your ammo to your rifle.

At one time Weatherby guarantee of accuracy was 1 1/2 inch at 100 yards and there was a test target included with each rifle. As far as I know they were the first to provide that.

The ones I have shot and loaded for were all accurate, not saying all are by any means but they are generally good quality guns with a distinctive look and feel.

Comment

I have several accumarks. 270 wb, 300wb, 257wbx2 I love them. all are superbly accurate. i'll never buy another off the shelf rifle again that is not a weatherby....(well, as long as they don't follow the path of Rem!!)

that being said, the cost of WB ammo is what prompted me to reload

Comment

Yep. Cost of factory ammo is why I've always reloaded. Customizing a load for a specific rifle is a huge benefit of it too though - probably a bigger deal than cost, no more than I shoot my hunting rifles.

Comment

Every weatherby I have will shoot lights out. That being said, there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) weatherbys are picky about having the proper torques on all screws. If you over or under torque a screw that ties the action to the stock, accuracy will go out the window. So pau attention to screw pressures and follow factory recommendations.

2) they like a lot of freebore. Handloads excel in weatherby rifles because you can optimize how far your bullet is seated off the lands. That’s why handloaders Have really good success with these rifles.

3) from my experience, they like loads closer to Max loads. Don’t be afraid to shoot hot loads, as accuracy tends to improve.

4) weatherby factory tests all their rifles with Barnes Ttsx bullets. They will recommend these bullets out of their guns, and I have found they are one of the most accurate bullets out of my weatherbys. It’s an odd deal, and doesn’t seem like it should matter that much, but it is what it is.

Hope you buy it and put it to good use.

Comment

I have vanguards in 3 different calibers. All shoot great IMO. They all came with the test targets referenced in an earlier post.

Comment

I own three Weatherby Mark V rifles and a .22 lol.

A .257 Weatherby Magnum

A .270 Weatherby Magnum

A .300 Weatherby Magnum Accumark

A .22 Weatherby Mark XXII

With the exception of the .22 they all shoot tight MOA groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                    I own three Weatherby Mark V rifles and a .22 lol.

A .257 Weatherby Magnum

A .270 Weatherby Magnum

A .300 Weatherby Magnum Accumark

A .22 Weatherby Mark XXII

With the exception of the .22 they all shoot tight MOA groups.
                    My 22 even shoots tight groups! Can your Savage out shoot your Weatherby?

Forgive me! I had to

Comment

Another fan and my Weatherby 22-250 it my killing stick

Comment

Some Weatherbys shoot and some don't. I have shot and owned many..
                        I currently own 3..

My best shooter is a Vanguard VGX Deluxe made in the late 70's.
                        It's a 7mm Rem Mag... I took out the pressure point, bedded the action and relieved the barrel channel as to float the barrel..
                        It's a tack driver now..
                        It would not shoot better than 2" at 100 before this work..

It will out shoot my MarkV .257 now.

Comment

i've got a 300 vangaurd. shot all over the place b/c the trigger sucked. Put in a timney trigger and a break and it shoots great now.

Comment

I have a .257 and a 6.5-300 wby. They are making the vanguard now with a 26” in some calibers which is pretty good value.

Comment

Have 2 Vanguard .308s and 1 7mag all are great guns with the right ammo. Shot a lot to find what they liked.

Comment

Working...
                              X