No announcement yet.

Who likes older/obsolete cartridges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a burning desire for the 6.5x55. Have wanted one for a long time but always seem to spend what little extra I have on other needs. Hopefully in a couple of years I will have one

Comment

I have a Swedish Mauser. 1908 date stamp, I really enjoy shooting it.

My most unusual, is really just a cartridge that never became popular, so you have to look for them : 35 Remington

Kepe in mind, the 30.06 came to be in 1906. Mine was made in 1917, and my great uncle had it sporterized in the 50’s. He hunted bear and elk with it. I justshoot pigs, and an occasional deer with it. I’ll never change it.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

6.5 x 55 is a very good long range cartridge.

Comment

225 win, 244 rem, 250 savage

Comment

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
            225 win, 244 rem, 250 savage
            Do you own a 225 Win? I tried to buy one off a fella one time it was in 340 Savage. You know that was the cartridge designed to replace the 220 Swift! Was not meant to be. Back in the 60's the 220 Swift got a bad rap as the barrel burner cartridge, so every gun company was coming out with its replacement.

How about a 5mm Remington rimfire magnum. My dad bought one, but he said ammo for it was tough to find and he traded it off for coon dog named Smoke..

Comment

I’d like to have a 224 Weatherby

Comment

I also like the 284 win and the 6.5 rem mag.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                  Do you own a 225 Win? I tried to buy one off a fella one time it was in 340 Savage. You know that was the cartridge designed to replace the 220 Swift! Was not meant to be. Back in the 60's the 220 Swift got a bad rap as the barrel burner cartridge, so every gun company was coming out with its replacement.

How about a 5mm Remington rimfire magnum. My dad bought one, but he said ammo for it was tough to find and he traded it off for coon dog named Smoke..
                  No I don't own one, but had the chance to buy one and shied away due to lack of ammo. I also shied away from a nice little 219 zipper once for the same reason. I do own a 35 Whelen and 7mm wsm. The Whelen ammo is much easier to find than the wsm.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                    Count me in I suppose since anything for the 257 Roberts is pretty much non-existent.
                    I like it too. But I am beginning to believe the .270 is not cool anymore either.
                    D____ that 6.5 CM!

Comment

Wife got a 250//3000 Ruger 77 lite weight ...Its a Swettie (she is too) I always been Partial to anything between .243---.264.. I do not like Recoil (I can handle it just don't need to with that list) no belted stuff in my Safe

Shot my fst buck with Rem pump (30 remington )it was Rem answer to 30-30...

Comment

Sitting in the blind right now with my Gustav ‘96 in 6.5x55 with a 1901 date. Great shooting gun but those fine iron sites are made for younger eyes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	14FFE59A-1A54-43C7-8151-842277D613F3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	24522366

Comment

Great rounds...

and several of which I wish I had. The 300 H&H, 225 Win (my father has one) are just a few on the list of "wants". I had a 5mm Remington mag once, but sold it due to the lack of ammo availability.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                            and several of which I wish I had. The 300 H&H, 225 Win (my father has one) are just a few on the list of "wants". I had a 5mm Remington mag once, but sold it due to the lack of ammo availability.
                            I bought a pre-64 300 H&H a few years ago off here. Good gun but pretty obnoxious to shoot much. Now it just sits in the safe. My next obsolete cartridge/rifle will either be a 7x57 to round out my mausers, or a .220 Swift. Or perhaps a 218 Bee. The beauty of old calibers is you have so much to choose from!

Comment

Springfield 30-40 Krag

Still have my grandfathers Springfield 30-40 Krag from the Spanish-American war. Still shooting deer with it.

Comment

Yes, I am a fan of the old 6.5X55 Swede. I also like the 7X57 Mauser. I think the 300 Savage should make a comeback, think it has a lot of potential, that few have known.
                                I have wanted a 220 Swift for many years, never found the right rifle, when I had the money. I have wanted go get my hands on a old Winchester 1907 or 1910 in 351 and 401 Winchester Self loading, for a long time. I finally found one at a gun show, last month, I was looking for other pieces and found one, I was shocked to see it. I have not seen one in a very long time.

If I had lots of money, I would love to collect old double rifles in the old big bore African calibers, such as the 470 Nitro and 416 Rigby. I would really like to try some of the old European rounds such as the 9.3X62 and the 9.3X74. I have never had any experience with rounds like those.

Comment

Working...
                                X