Rattling in east Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
    I too, am in Harrison Co. and our rut hasn't even started good yet. Our peak rut is November 18-20th and has been since I started paying attention about 10 years ago. Only saw young bucks chasing does this weekend, the big boys aren't ready yet.

I have had decent success during the peak rut, but timing is everything. I will definitely be out during the weekend before Thanksgiving hoping one of my target bucks slips up.

Finally seen a big 8 trying to cross the hwy yesterday evening the big boys are getting ready don't wait too long.

Tomorrow morning may be my first daylight hunt of the season. What I mean is first time I get to the stand before daylight...better clarify as I'm in East Texas.

Comment

Killed an old seven point a few years ago in Hankamer near Anahuac. I hadn't rattled more than a minute when the ole boy busted out into the right of way looking for a fight. It works but only during the right time. That's the only deer I've had luck rattling in in ET.

Comment

Tried probably 50 times and it's worked exactly 0 times! Maybe I'm no good at it I dunno. Ill keep trying!

Comment

I rattled some in Cherokee Co. this past weekend. I had just seen a Buck cross a right-of-way I was hunting. I waited a few minutes then rattled like
          crazy. That Buck came running through the thicket knocking trees down til he got down wind of me and then it was "Game Over" ! I have had similiar results in Anderson Co. I rattled one in late one evening when pretty much dark. I had walked back to my 4 wheeler and just decided what the "heck";I rattled and he came charging in, but he stopped when he couldnt find the "Bucks". I rattled again and he found me.
          Am planning to borrow a buddys Buck decoy soon to see if that might seal the Deal !

Comment

yes but it really dont count as our buck to doe ratio is almost 2:1 even though we are low fence. It works well along with scents and calls, but these bucks have to work hard to get a piece of the action and the fighting is fierce!!(we are in the process of killing bucks now due to higher mortality rate from fighting.)

Comment

Working...
            X