X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what a stud axis! congrats on the kill!

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      I really enjoyed the camp fellowship. I just need a LITTLE more sleep.
      Little people need little sleep.

Congrats on a fine animal Les. Perfect tribute to Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
        Believe me Lowtec, Everyone within a 3 miles heard the story.
        Lesto!!

Comment

Great looking buck Les! Good to talk to you today.

Comment

Congrats!!! Nice buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
              Believe me Lowtec, Everyone within a 3 miles heard the story.
              and they'll hear it again and again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                Someone asked for a teaser pic...ok

[ATTACH]107355[/ATTACH]
                Your waist on that new diet?

Comment

Great Axis Les !

Comment

Awesome Les! Now spill the beans Bruce.

Comment

Congrats Les.

Comment

I wish!!

Last week I stalked to within 25 yards of a great axis...With Mitch filming I waited till the bucked turned qtr'ing away, picked a spot and thought I made a perfect shot.

The buck ran 200 yards and crashed into a large oak mott. Unfortunately he didn't stay down and Mitch and I watched the buck run another 300 yard semi circle around us. The buck then spun in a circle several times and we thought he was going down. He didn't. Instead he gathered himself and went another 50 yards before bobbling again. This time we thought he was going down forsure.

Instead the buck slowed to a walk lowered his head in determination and continued to walk another 500 yards completing a large circle around us till we lost sight of him in the darkness. But not before we were able to confirm my worst fear. The arrow had lodged in the bucks shoulder blade and 26" of my 28" shaft was sticking out.

The next morning Mitch, Matt, Mason and I made quite and extensive search of the area. No birds were working.

Matt and Mason were still there for a couple more days and watched for birds and did not see any as well.

Fast forward to this weekend. I hunted extensively in the area Mitch and I last saw my buck. I saw several great bucks but none with a limp or a whole in the left shoulder. Then last night with about and hour of daylight left I spotted a lone axis buck roughly a mile away in a box canyon. I immeadiately went after him, I was certain it was my buck just based of the shape of his rack. I closed the distance to within 30 yards of 8 axis bucks. Four were very large and well with in range. I watched them till dark never seeing my buck in the group.

This morning my plan was to go take down my blinds and feeder load up th jeep and head back. On my way out I again spotted an axis in the same canyon as the night before - this time I was roughly 300 yards away in the jeep. Immeadiately I thought it was my buck again...so I picked up the binoc's, but I could not see his shoulder it was behind the brush. So I backed the jeep up a few feet and sure enough there was a large gaping hole in his left front shoulder. I thought I saw a few inches of the shaft still sticking out as well. About this time the buck decided to move and with two steps much to my surpise my whole arrow appeared still intact.

I backed out of there and headed back to camp. My weapon of choice was my trusty .243 SS - with 8 other axis bucks in this canyon with him no way was I going to get in bow range.

I got back to the canyon and setup roughly 150 yrds away on a hilltop so I could see the whole canyon. I spotted one buck right way but it wasn't my buck. As I moved to get another angle to look into the canyon an unseen buck spotted me and sounded the alarm. Now 8 bucks turned 10-12-16 bucks. The last buck hobbling out of the canyon was my buck.

It was now or never. I decided with the difficulty he was having still touting the arrow it was time to finsh what I had started. I leveled off on the front shoulder and squeezed of a round. A hit report came back and the buck whirled and now he was hauling the mail even with the bum leg. I leveled off again 3 foot in front of him and squeezed of #2...again a resounding "kawop" report of a hit. The buck never even faultered.

I have two shots left and the buck stops facing dead away at 250 yards. I settled the cross hairs at the base of his neck and squeezed off # 3. This time I saw the bullet hit him between the shoulder blades and he crumpled. I made my way over to him and he was struggling trying to get to his feet...I quickly chambed #4 and a shot to the neck put him down for good.

Caping confirmed the first two shots were straight to the boiler room...One in either side 3" behind the front shoulder. Third shot dead center between the shoulder blades and the forth to the neck. I honestly thought I had missed the first two with him showing absolutely zero effect of a hit.

Man these dudes are tough!

Certainly not the way I wanted to take my first axis, but - thats how it went down.

He shrank a little on me...Mitch and I both thought he was a solid 32" buck and he ended up being right at 30 on the right side and 30.5 on the left.

Here are some pic's!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0190-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	23893815
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0193.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	23893816
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cull View Post
                          Your waist on that new diet?
                          LOL!! No chance 36" is where I started..

Comment

Beautiful animal amigo. He will look great on your wall.

As usual, you and Mitch did a great job with your ldps.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Nice job Bruce...congrats on putting him down finally. good looking axis

He cleaned up well with that many holes in him....
                                Last edited by Smart; 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X