No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess he could say he's bird hunting but it seems pretty shady to me... This camera is setup about 300 yards behind my stand and he walked by this AM. I heard a shot that scared the crap out of me this AM. I assume it was him. Also had a guy walk right under my stand. Also saw 3 other guys. I've barely ever seen another hunter on this unit in 3 years. And I saw one doe but out of bow range. The winds were howling this AM. I hate hunting in high winds but the cooler temps are nice. I'll be back at it this afternoon. May be my last hunt at LBJ this year as I'll start hunting The Vine in a few weeks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by troy_w_7; 10-15-2017, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Could very well be a squirrel or rabbit hunter. I don't think he's trying to hide anything with orange on, like a poacher would. I'd be after the squirrels with these cooler temps . But alas, duty calls this weekend.

Comment

Hunted this AM. Saw 5 total deer. 2 unknown, a doe, and her two youngsters. Pulled my camera due to the controlled burn notice. Real bummer. Hung the camera on Wednesday. Not sure what that furball is bottom right of that one pic. Bobcat maybe?

Can I get a ruling on the larger buck? Looks too young and not a qualifier. What say you?
        Fun pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
          Wow. Thanks for that. Good to know if you, uh, have a friend, that might have put a game camera out at waist height. I'll let him know.
          Mount it up about 10-12 feet in an area with little fuel. Keep it away from cedars and tall grass.

[QUOTE=Rich1201;12814926]I've got one in one of those units lol. I'll be sure to grab it this weekend.

[QUOTE=Jsmith_FO01;12816234]I am not sure, I’m new to this area. I’d say it’s probably like anywhere else. They are going to head for another section of land.

Not necessarily. I've witnessed deer coming back into burn units while still out patrolling fire lines. Seen it from the air also while setting fire from a helicopter.

[QUOTE=Jsmith_FO01;12814378]For anyone that maybe heading out. They are about to start burning. Here are a list of the units

I wouldn't let that RX burn notice change my hunting plans. The proposed burn units are more like a wish list. Weather conditions have to be just right. It takes a lot of coordination by the Fire Mgmt. Officer to pull off a Rx burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            Could very well be a squirrel or rabbit hunter. I don't think he's trying to hide anything with orange on, like a poacher would. I'd be after the squirrels with these cooler temps . But alas, duty calls this weekend.
            I thought the same regarding the orange.

Comment

During my PM hunt, I had another hunter and his son walk by at about 50 yards. They eventually moseyed behind me and never saw them again. At 5:30pm, I had a doe come out and feed on acorns for a while. She kept heading to the east out of sight. She came back about an hour later and hung around for about 30 minutes. She never got closer than 50 yards. Right at dark, 2 other does came out but not in bow range. Any time I see deer is a success in my book. Happy hunting and have a great week!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by troy_w_7; 10-15-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I feel the same way about seeing deer=success. 7 deer in two sits ain't bad. Pretty fired up abut the spot I found. Won't be able to hunt until after Thursday. Good luck.

Comment

When you find a honey hole, it makes for some interesting sits.

Comment

i hear yall seen 10 does and 2 good size bucks also found the rubs of the bucks. and still never found the doe i shot or arrow.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

I came across some fresh rubs and scrapes too. I love this time of year!

Comment

I seen 2 bucks the morning at 45 yards but didnt have a shot. Everything in the woods were moving.

Comment

I was out there till about 11. Didn't see anything, but I'm pretty sure I cleared the area when my hangon dropped setting it up lol.

I did see a red Chevy with sprayed wheel wells and TBH sticker. That one of you guys?

Comment

I am in a dark blue gmc sierra 2500

Comment

I'm in a silver F150 4x4 with TBH sticker on back.

Got some good pics on the camera. Put two out, one got stolen in 3 days, it was more visible, so I put it up 12ft and someone still got it. Oh well. At least it was a cheap one.

Say hi if you see me.

Comment

Stole your camera? That really is a bummer. Hate hate that for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X