Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
    I was working for 3M and was called in on a problem at a big GM dealer here in town. The owners 2 sons went to their ranch and shot a deer. About half way back to the house it woke up and started tearing up the inside of the brand new Suburban. They jumped out and decided to shoot it through the window. Then the 2 brain surgeons got scared and parked it behind the barn and went home. Two weeks later dad found the truck with a crazy stinky deer in it. The body shop brought it in and they cleaned everything and repainted the interior. It did not work and it still stank. They then replaced all cloth stuff inside the vehicle, sandplasted it to the metal, and repainted it again. This is when I was called in. I told them they would need to take off everything that had sound deadner or calk in it. {Quarter panels, roof, etc.}
    They ended up putting air freshners in it and wholesaling it.
    LOL! Sounds about right for kids, what dealership?

Comment

Took my buddy to the ranch last weekend to shoot a doe. Went to pick him up and he had a nubbin buck he had shot from frickin 25 yards.. A good reminder on why i don't let people hunt on our ranch.

Comment

Keep em coming

Comment

Great thread.

Comment

Back when I was about 18 yrs old, I was hunting with a younger kid, probably 12 yrs old. His dad didnt want to go to the stand with him so he asked me to. He drilled it in his son to shot a doe and shoot it in the shoulder. The kid was shooting an open sight .30 caliber carbine if I remember right. A doe comes out with her fawn at about 40 yards. Im talking to him making sure he is lined up on the right one. He says he is on her and bam the gun goes off. The fawn drops in its tracks. I look at the kid and said I thought you said you were on the doe. He says "I was. I was aiming at the bigger one." Went over to the fawn and it was shot square in the shoulder. Not sure if he missed so bad and hit the fawn or was just aiming at the wrong deer. His dad was some kinda mad at me and the kid. I felt like maybe he should have taken his own kid hunting instead of sitting in the lodge drinking.

Comment

Dell-lionaires!
              we were helping a friend by guiding some nuevo rich computer guys that made too much money at Dell. I loaned out my rifle to one of them and my friend takes one of them to his lake blind. We don't think he can do much damage there.
              After I get back from the stand, my friend comes up to me real ****** off but kinda of hushed. He asks me "how many bullets did I give the Dellionare". I said i didn't know , why?
              He says he has 4 dead deer out in the field, 1 young buck, a button buck, and two does.
              We couldn't figure why he kept shooting, but the gun was dead on.

Comment

Have one that not really a guest hunter and is more sad than stupid. Was on a youth hunt years ago at Kerr WMA and before the hunt they spent 30 minutes showing everyone what was and wasn't OK to shoot. They spent 10 minutes on one 2.5yr old with antlers messed up on one side they thought was probably damaged on early development. The other side was beautiful and they want everyone to leave it to see its potential next year. They showed pictures of it from every angle.

After the next morning hunt I was showing the biologists the video of a 13 pt 2.5yr old we passed on when a father/daughter show up with "the" buck we were all told not to shoot. The staff was none too happy. The dad showed us the video he was shooting at the time. What happened was 2 bucks walked out at same time. Daughter sees the off limits buck and is watching through scope and dad sees a mature buck and is watching through camera. Neither sees the other buck. You hear dad tell her to shoot it and hear her saying "but Dad! It's the wrong one". He says shoot it again and again she says "but Dad!" He tells her once again to shoot so she does and the buck in the camera doesn't fall and you hear the daughter say "I got it" and then start to cry and say it was the wrong buck. About this time the dad realizes what just happened and says "Oh No!!" and turns camera off. It was sad to see that deer taken too soon and to see that poor girl's hunt turn from joy to sorrow.

Comment

Ive done my ****edest to only shoot does as a guest over the years, but come really close in 2010. A7pt i shot had a 5/8" nub that almost made it an 8pt that i couldnt see because of sun blindness. When i ground checked it, i puckered and sweated that because i was worried about angering and disappointing my hunting partner. Needless to say, that wont happen again as itll be does only until i get my own spot somewhere. Its not worth the stress!

Comment

I missed out on this one adventure my buddy went on. Thank goodness I chose to to home that weekend.
                    The story-
                    My buddy wanted to do some coyote hunting. Was gonna be 5 of us, but I decided to pass. Anyway, my buddy, his F.I.L., nephew, and my buddy's friend go out on the friends mother in law's ranch. They are calling and drinking a few Lonestars, when they see eyes in the distance. All agreed it was a yote, so two of them pull up their guns and fire at it. Drops like a rock.They walk over to where its at and find a horse laying dead, two holes in its chest. They go up to the house and the guy has to tell his mother in law that they just shot her horse. All 4 each had to shell out $1250, but she says that horse always hangs out with a $25k horse, so they got lucky there. He came to work and told us what happened. Our old boss and I gave him so much **** over that. I would take his hard hat while he was napping during lunch and place stickers of horses with cross hairs on it. We called him H.K. or killer on the radio. Went on for months! Me and the old boss were talking about that last summer, (happened about 7 years ago) and had to call him to give him more grief.
                    Still don't know how you confuse a horse and a coyote.
                    Glad he's not a member here or he'd probably drive up and whoop my tail.
                    Dang glad I missed that hunt.

Needless to say, none of them have gone coyote hunting since.
                    Last edited by WKH2213; 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

A cousin of mine came to hunt a ranch I guided on back about 1995. He was recruited to only shoot does, as all he wanted was meat, and the outfitter didn't charge for killing a doe.

Heard him shoot as I was about to come pick him up. When I arrived he was standing over a 155" buck.

He said he climbed down out of his stand to pee and it came from out of nowhere and charged him. I asked how it had a broadside bullethole if it charged him. He said he side stepped it and shot it as it passed.

After a long silent moment between us, he just asked if he could at least keep the meat and take a picture with it.

Comment

Great thread

Comment

I am guilty of one of those guest mistakes. Here you go:

I have a good friend that got me back into hunting. I had never deer hunted much less with a bow. He talked me into to getting a bow, so I practiced everyday for over a month. He takes me to his lease in Roosevelt. On the trip there, he is telling how hard bow hunting is. He tells me, I will probably miss my first few deer, and I probably won't find it if I did shoot one. So don't get discouraged. He drops me off the first morning, and as day breaks I see a doe coming my way. As I'm focus on the doe, I had a little 8pt & little 6 pt come in behind me. I see the 2 bucks, and thought to myself. Everyone is always talking about 8pt. bucks. So, I settle in & release my arrow. I hit the 8pt and he takes off. I watch him fall about 70 yards away & never move again.

Now I'm busting with excitement. That was the biggest rush I had ever felt. I wait about a hour and my friend comes back to pick me up. I commence to telling the story about me shooting the 8 pointer. He was like, are you sure you hit him? Well I guess we will have to track him! I point over and said he is laying about 70 yards over there. So he is really excited for me. We walk over there. I'm just beaming from the rush. He looks at the deer and proceeded to bust my bubble. I shot a 2 year basket rack 8 pointer. He ask why did I shoot it, and I told him that he didn't tell me what to shoot. He wasn't mad but proceed to teach me about deer hunting & deer management.

Later on than day, I ask him was he mad. He told me that the only one he could be mad at is himself. He told me that he really didn't think I could kill a deer with a bow on my first hunt, so he really wasn't concern about what to tell me to shoot or not to shoot. Lesson Learned for both of us

Comment

Originally posted by dbrock63 View Post
                            A lease member brought a friend that never deer hunted to shoot a doe. Each member got to shoot 1 doe and 1 buck. He took his friend and set him up at a stand with a lever action 30-30 and 5 bullets and told him he could only shoot a doe (NO HORNS). They heard 5 shots from the area the friend was set up so they went to pick him up and see what happen. They pulled up to him just smiling ear to ear with 5 dead deer (4 doe and 1 yearling buck) laid out. Asked "Why in the hell did you shoot 5 deer?" Because i ran out of bullets or i could of got 1 or 2 more was his response.
                            hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! thats still got me laughing!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                              Oh Gosh... don't get me started.

Had a guy shoot the wrong deer WHILE I WAS SITTING WITH HIM. 3.5 year old 20" wide 11 pointer vs a 7.5 year old 18" wide 11" tine 160" deer...

I asked him why... he said... "I couldn't find the other deer in the scope"
                              I really don't see how people like that live with themselves. Seriously.

I've only heard this story, second hand.
                              Guy was invited to hunt axis does. He ends up shooting 4 or 5 whitetail doe and then doesn't even have a hunting license. Landowner was not happy.

One old guy, here at work has 100 acres outside Junction. He takes a few guys hunting every year. He usually has 1 or 2 deer that he doesn't want shot, other than that, you can shoot a doe or a buck that you're willing to shoulder mount. Last year he took a relatively new employee out there; showed him pictures of the "do not shoot" buck. Guy goes out and shoots that exact buck. Old guy is furious, but is a devout Christian and doesn't say much, but all his actions show that he's MAD. New guy still thinks he did nothing wrong, and didn't mount the deer. New guy will never hunt with old guy again.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorBait View Post
                                I would down-right refuse to hunt anywhere that I had to be babysat. A $20K buck? What the heck was you hunting? Unicorn? Sorry just have no experience hunting deer anywhere like that, seems to cheapen it a little IMO, but to each his own.
                                I would gladly be "babysat"

There would be no doubt about what I could and could not shoot

Of course I would be happy to sit in a stand with a camera and take pictures/video if it meant I would get to see some quality deer.

I would love to have a place to take my kids to shoot a couple of does. No surprise that there are not more people willing to offer with all of the bad experiences that go on.

Comment

Working...
                                X