X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 160class View Post
    And I understand that

What is a bull going for now days??
    $2500-4500. Is probably an average price range for a good bull but of course they can be cheaper or way higher.

Comment

When I was managing a ranch in KS the owner came up to hunt with his son while I went home for Christmas. I had them all set up. The deer comes in, the owner tells his son to shoot but he was filming as the smoke cleared he could still a buck standing. He tells the son to shoot again. You guessed it, two bucks down. The target and an OOPS!

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
        No I haven't but I what I do know is some people will charge alot more for a cow once it has been shot than what they would get for it at the sale.. What i was trying to say really that is once that cow is shot alot of them become the "prized" cow of the heard

And I am not saying that is everyone, but some people do that..
        I'd charge more for a cow than it was worth, missing out on years of calves. Depending on age

Comment

Ugh. Sore subject to me on my property. Give an inch they take a mile.

Comment

Awesome thread with some big oopppsss on it. Keep them coming

Comment

Took my buddy few times to bow lease in junction he always seemed to say he shot big does but when we found them they were always yearlings. We gave him a hard time and even bought a baby bottle and hung it around his neck every time he came up. He really wanted to shoot an axis so I told him go ahead. That morning he texted and said he shot a big axis doe but couldn't find it so I took my lab out put him on the trail. We stood around talking for about 5 min when the dog came back with the deer in his mouth! It was tiny! And to make matters worse he got back to camp and had just finished skinning it when one of the boys walked out and said "who shot the jack rabbit". He's never heard the end of it!

Comment

I was working for 3M and was called in on a problem at a big GM dealer here in town. The owners 2 sons went to their ranch and shot a deer. About half way back to the house it woke up and started tearing up the inside of the brand new Suburban. They jumped out and decided to shoot it through the window. Then the 2 brain surgeons got scared and parked it behind the barn and went home. Two weeks later dad found the truck with a crazy stinky deer in it. The body shop brought it in and they cleaned everything and repainted the interior. It did not work and it still stank. They then replaced all cloth stuff inside the vehicle, sandplasted it to the metal, and repainted it again. This is when I was called in. I told them they would need to take off everything that had sound deadner or calk in it. {Quarter panels, roof, etc.}
                They ended up putting air freshners in it and wholesaling it.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                  Me, my brother in law and two friends got permission to hunt a ranch around Throckmorton. The owner only bird hunted and did not hunt deer. We were given the green light to shoot only MATURE deer. This was a free hunt for opening rifle weekend and all we had to do was buy corn for a few feeders. One of my friends had never killed a deer and we spent all night explaining how to tell if a deer was mature. He says he understands. Opening morning I watch a couple of nice young 8 points wander by. They were good young deer. About 8:00 am I hear the 30-06 bark. I thought alright, my buddy got him a good one. Well I get over there to see his monster and it is a basket rack yearling 8 with maybe a 5 inch spread. The owner was none to happy and we were never invited back. To top it my truck broke down and we were stuck there another day and we had eaten and drank everything we brought. But I have to say, that young deer's backstrap was mighty tasty that last night :-)
                  I have a similar story.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    Wow... now I understand why some leases don't allow guests.
                    Yup, i wouldnt like that rule if i had a lease. But i understand completely where it comes from.
                    I worked on a hunting ranch and went out with our guest for this reason. I was allowed to shoot does and cull bucks. We had a alot of mld tags, but i never would shoot a cull buck. One day a buck was a cull the next day it was a trophy. Wasnt worth it to me. Ive shot alot of deer alot alot but all does. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Carbon Poison View Post
                      My Gramps (grew up and lived in Great Falls, Montana) used to tell me a story about two New York city slicker reporters flew in to do a story on the Hungry Horse Dam in Montana. I believe the **** had just been completed. While there they thought they would try out some elk hunting. A land owner gave or sold them cow elk tags and gave them a map of an area of his property they could hunt. They drove to a valley on the property and started hunting. Well they showed up later that evening with their "cow elk". They shot, and quartered two of the land owners mules.

Its been a long time since I heard him tell that story, sure miss visiting and listening to all the stories.

Reminds of seeing this a few years back:

Montana is known by hunters around the world for its trophy game animals, and, thanks to an out-of-state hunter, since November of 2008, it is known for a trophy llama–yes, a llama.

An article on outdoorlife.com explained how Rusty Saunders, of Fort Edward, New York, thought a black and brown llama was an elk–and after he shot it, he even field-dressed it.

Saunders did ultimately turn himself in to a game warden in Livingston after realizing there was a case of mistaken identity with his latest Montana trophy. Llamas are considered farm animals in United States rather than wildlife, so the incident was turned over to the Montana Department of Livestock and then later to Park County authorities. There were never any citations issued.

One could only assume that the man panicked after he realized it was a llama, so he field dressed it as to not waste any meat, but who knows, because he still put his elk tag on it.

I wonder if Saunders got a replacement tag and continued his quest for a real Montana elk after the incident…

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
                        Took my buddy few times to bow lease in junction he always seemed to say he shot big does but when we found them they were always yearlings. We gave him a hard time and even bought a baby bottle and hung it around his neck every time he came up. He really wanted to shoot an axis so I told him go ahead. That morning he texted and said he shot a big axis doe but couldn't find it so I took my lab out put him on the trail. We stood around talking for about 5 min when the dog came back with the deer in his mouth! It was tiny! And to make matters worse he got back to camp and had just finished skinning it when one of the boys walked out and said "who shot the jack rabbit". He's never heard the end of it!
                        Lmao, that jack rabbit part is the iceing on the cake!

Comment

I've guided one a ranch and saw multiple mistakes by guests. This particular ranch was owned by a businessman who routinely took clients to hunt in addition to paying folks. Seemed the more the client spent with the owner in business the more likely they were to make mistakes. I think they simply thought their account was so valuable they could do what they wanted. I saw several kicked off the place. Saw one guy show up w/a Savage youth model with a purple laminated stock-never seen another like it. He was bragging about his scope, and shows me. I did not see a brand. He goes on to say he found it in a Chinese magazine for $10 but it was a $500 scope. He could not hit a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 50 yds. We saw those types of hunters all the time.

Comment

I had a lease near Ballinger for 18 years. Paid for it in the company name. Took a few customers for the first few years. Started paying for it out of my pocket the fifth year so I wouldn't have to put up with a bunch of guys who hunted twice a year. Better !

Comment

The year was 1982, I was the ripe old age of 14 . Hunting a rancho in between Morelos and Nava. I shot a MONSTER buck, all of 4 points and 1 1/2 years old
                              They made me stay up all night and fry up the whole dang thing

Learned a lot about deer real quick after that. My uncle tanned my hide good !

Comment

Oh Gosh... don't get me started.

Had a guy shoot the wrong deer WHILE I WAS SITTING WITH HIM. 3.5 year old 20" wide 11 pointer vs a 7.5 year old 18" wide 11" tine 160" deer...

I asked him why... he said... "I couldn't find the other deer in the scope"

Comment

Working...
                                X