Mills co. Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mills co. Report

Hows it looking, pre rut, rut, post rut? Busy kids schedules havent hunted at all in oct.

Bump

Comment

In southwest Mills haven't seen much of pre-rut action but should start picking up. At our place it really gets going about the 3rd week in Nov and usually starts slowing 1st week of Dec.
      Last edited by BrandonA; 10-23-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Our bucks in Mills county are still in bachelor groups for the most part.

Comment

Work kept me busy until yesterday afternoon, so this is my first sit of general season. The deer are spooked already; stopped counting rifle shots heard at 20. Saw a real nice and wide 10, but he never stopped moving around and never gave me a shot opportunity. He took off when he heard a shot pretty close.

Not seeing any signs of the rut; but I've got a couple of does and young 8 out in front of me now.
          Last edited by ThePumaLives; 11-05-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Possibily heading down for the first hunt....kitchen pass pending. Hows it looking.

Comment

Don’t know about Mills county, but San Saba and McCulloch counties bucks are very receptive to rattling and chasing does.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                In southwest Mills haven't seen much of pre-rut action but should start picking up. At our place it really gets going about the 3rd week in Nov and usually starts slowing 1st week of Dec.
                What Brandon said is usually spot on for Lometa/ Lampasas area.

Comment

I just returned today from Mullin/Priddy area. They are still chasing and cruising. The first round peaked around Halloween and appears to be slowing some now. Bucks are broke up bad, a lot of broken tines and more this year. Lack of rainfall maybe. We are at 23" for the year. I killed a big mature 7 a week ago that was in love for the last time. And our resident 7-8yo mature buck, Halftail, broke off his whole right main beam and some on his left.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1328.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	24518979
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	24518980
                  Last edited by tbgascorer; 11-14-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Last weekend I started seeing some scrapes and a few rubs. Had a young 6 point absolutely in love with a yearling doe. Wouldn't leave her alone for anything and was stomping and trailing her with his head down and nose up her behind. I think these next 2-3 weeks are going to heat up literally and Thanksgiving week should be prime time. I plan to hunt all around that time this year.

Comment

Picked up my meat from Wesley Head in Goldthwaite last week and was very happy with his work. If you are looking for a processor in that area give him a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                        Picked up my meat from Wesley Head in Goldthwaite last week and was very happy with his work. If you are looking for a processor in that area give him a try.
                        He does very good work

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar_HOYT View Post
                          Just picked mine up today. They are nice folks.

Comment

Wesley makes the best jerky and sausage around.

Comment

His summer sausage is so dang good, also had hot and regular German sausage made but haven’t gotten into it yet, I’m sure it will be great. They really are nice folks in there and have great customer service. Plan on taking him a doe or two as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X