2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedBarn View Post
    What are you guys planting this fall/winter? My Broccoli and spinach did great last year.
    broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, carrots, radishes, green onions(bunching). Just 'put up' 60ish poblanos today. We use them for queso, chili, enchiladas, salsa, etc throughout the year. Most of the jalapenos get pickled and bells get used fresh. No spinach this year for me as I'm out of room

You can use the broccoli leaves to make broccoli rice or include in soups and other stuff.

Comment

I just planted more tomatoes hoping to get about a month or so production out of them before the first big frost start up. Also planted collard greens, Romain Lettuce, Bok Choy.
      Still trying to find some opinions bulbs to plant!!!!

Comment

No Fall garden for us... Okra was still producing last week until I sprayed the whole garden to kill everything... after it dries a bit, we'll burn the plot then start the winter prep... With all the Harvey flooding, I have friends in Kingwood that have a bunch of river sand that needs moving. My plan is to go get it and amend the garden spot with it to reduce the gumbo clodding a bit, plus it will raise the garden bed some to help with water drainage... may plant some fall greens, but that's about it...

Comment

My Cayenne and Hatch chilies are still put-n out. Lots of red chilies up in this house. Think I've got 4 gallons of Hatch and 3 gallons of cayenne in the freezer. I've given away a lot of cayenne. Jalapenos have been producing a few each week. Got some okra pickel-n as it is taken off the plants. Gave up on the mators.

Comment

The garden did pretty well this year. I am not growing a fall garden this season. Instead, I am taking the time to do DIY concrete edging around the beds and sheet mulching with a layer of cardboard and 4-5” of compost on top.
            The highlight of the season was that I have already harvested 16lbs of ghost peppers and 3lbs of Carolina reaper peppers all while the plants (which are 6 feet tall) continue to be COVERED in peppers still ripening.
            13 gallons of hot sauce waiting to be bottled and already enough peppers in the freezer to make 15 gallons more next season.
            If I have a need to produce any more sauce than that, I think I’ll have to look for a little greenhouse space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Burned the plot off on Sunday afternoon before the front moved in... Okra stalks were still a bit green so didn't burn well... I shredded the plot after that to chop up the stubble... Will burn it off again then start to amend the soil some more... Need to raise the overall plot a bit for better drainage and add good bank sand to help with that impacted effect... Got plenty of bank sand available from friends in Kingwood

Comment

Pulled my sweet potatos at 164 days.
                [ATTACH]880119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]880120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]880121[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]880122[/ATTACH]
                Time for some sweet potato, pecan pie

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5166.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24518057
                  Beans are starting to produce!

Comment

My assorted salads and greens just started booming this past week. Tried to do this off season tomato thing we have here in texas but they just won't grow any bigger than when I bought them a month ago. Still have an empty 10x12' bed I need to plant. Need to see what else beside greens I can plant right now

Comment

I always plant purple hull peas late summer after my spring garden. I will leave them in until the end of November and then plant greens, lettuce, broccoli and taters. I shelled a quart of peas yesterday and should be able to pick a couple more batches.

Comment

One of the batches of fermented hot sauce from this year’s hot pepper harvest.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

Now that is cool!! What a great color it has too! If it takes red to be hot, that stuff ought to be good!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

I wonder how hot it is?? I love a good hot sauce.

Comment

Working...
                            X