• Show
Clear All

This was the board as of 12 today, I don't know how it ended up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
      This was the board as of 12 today, I don't know how it ended up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
      Thanks for the update. I'll be making the ten hour drive down in two weeks

Comment

Looks like 8 got hunted hard again!

Comment

Originally posted by casilva43 View Post
          Looks like 8 got hunted hard again!
          Yep, looks like hardly anything has came out of 5 this year. I was down there 2 years ago and a group did real good over in 5.

Comment

Hunted it 20y or so ago..Bikes ok ...But if it rains and roads get wet Mud sticks to tires and gets stuck between fender and tire to a point of no movement..

Comment

Just found out I was drawn for the Jan 20-22 rifle Nilgai hunt. Never been down to the Atascosa or hunted Nilgai. Couple of questions... Do they have assigned blind locations or can the hunter free range? Also, is a .270 with a 150 grain Barnes or Nosler an ethical choice or should I take my .308 with a 180 grain? Any idea what the average shot distance is? Thanks, Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                Yep, looks like hardly anything has came out of 5 this year. I was down there 2 years ago and a group did real good over in 5.
                I hunted 5 the first day & the second morning and I was the only one back there. I saw a few doe while biking. While sitting, I saw 6pt buck, 4pt buck, a big Nilgai bull, 2 bobcats, a 4 javelin. I honestly think unit 5 has the easiest access on a bike except going north to Horse Island.

My biggest mistake was that I wore myself out the first day. I rode 7 miles on my bike and walked 2 miles. I was plan on hunting around tanks, so I rode west in 5 toward 3 and everything I googled earth, I just didn't like and when I would set down in some brush, I wouldn't even be able the see a whitetail walking through the area because of the brush was so high. So I rode back east to the Horse Island area, road was a little soft because of the rain the day before when I got to the Mudflats the strong north wind must have been gusty at 30-40 mph across the flats, I decided to keep going, but after another mile the wind was still howling, so I decided to go back where I came from, and just set off the road a bit.

When I say, I wore myself out, I'm 51 and I wasn't physical tired , but the beating my butt took form the bike seat, I couldn't hardly use it anymore after the first day. I guess you can say I had saddle sores. The first day I bike 7 miles, walked 2, the 2nd day I walked 6 miles, biked 2, and the 3rd. I walked 2 miles. I never got tired or winded, but my body was a little sore from the beating the bike gave me

Comment

Originally posted by Whitetail83 View Post
                  Just found out I was drawn for the Jan 20-22 rifle Nilgai hunt. Never been down to the Atascosa or hunted Nilgai. Couple of questions... Do they have assigned blind locations or can the hunter free range? Also, is a .270 with a 150 grain Barnes or Nosler an ethical choice or should I take my .308 with a 180 grain? Any idea what the average shot distance is? Thanks, Matt.
                  I took a 300 win mag but I think the 270 or 308 would work. Especially since most of the Nilgai taken on the refuge are not big in size. That said I would take the 308 just in case you do see that big one. The nilgai I saw was at 200 yards, I walked the area where everyone kept saying they were seeing them and you could see out to 500-600 yards. And most sighting they said was out that far. No assign blind, it is a free for all, in which most people hunt 8 because it is the easiest to get to, but I also think it has the best habitat for the deer & Nilgai. I didn't make it to unit 3 or 2

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                    I took a 300 win mag but I think the 270 or 308 would work. Especially since most of the Nilgai taken on the refuge are not big in size. That said I would take the 308 just in case you do see that big one. The nilgai I saw was at 200 yards, I walked the area where everyone kept saying they were seeing them and you could see out to 500-600 yards. And most sighting they said was out that far. No assign blind, it is a free for all, in which most people hunt 8 because it is the easiest to get to, but I also think it has the best habitat for the deer & Nilgai. I didn't make it to unit 3 or 2
                    Thank you

Comment

Borrow a larger caliber if you can. We have taken a few monster bulls off the refuge. 308 won't cut it on a big boy. I've guided for them the ranches minimum was 7 mag. We use .338 with 225 gr which does the job well but still won't drop a big bull. Cows and smaller Bulls 308 will handle it. Hunted Laguna for over 20 years, you want to drop a nilgai as soon as possible, farther from the road you are the more trips you have to make and a big bull can run a long ways after shot. We broke carts, wagons and all kinds of stuff trying to get a big one out whole. Still haven't been able to do it without multiple people or multiple trips. My buddy and his son hunted together last year one had 25-06, the other 30-06, 8 shots all in vitals before he went down for good. Big bulls are tough as nails just get them down soon as possible. Good luck! Btw, most people are drawn to 8 because you can actually see what's going on. The biggest bull we ever shot was in the thickest nastiest brush you could imagine. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks. Where should I head instead of 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm heading down there tomorrow, hoping the rain holds off on Friday.

Comment

Cool. Nilgai? Post updates!

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Cool. Nilgai? Post updates!

We are going for whatever steps out that is legal.

Comment

Working...
                                X