Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things turning bad at work. Need advise. Go out on my own? Suck it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different opinion....

Starting a legitimate business in this environment is pretty much idiocy in the extreme.

Get on your knees and thank the gods that you have a job. Shut up about the owner's pet and do your job, and as an employee your job is to do whatever the ownership and their representatives tell you it is.
    If you don't or can't swallow doing your job... quit

But I'll tell you that in my considerable experience the grass is not greener, and there is always a reason the pay is higher.

Took me several careers, a couple of businesses, a million dollars and a couple of near bankruptcies to learn to keep my head down, mouth shut, do my job to the best of my ability and never rock the boat.

Javi

Comment

I'm with Rod. As your hours are decreased you will make more at home. Maybe work towards you doing the machine shop work out of your house for the company you now work for. Your in business, they still have a machinist for quick jobs, every one is happy.

Comment

I disagree (maybe). If he knows he is needed because the pet can't do his job he needs to bluff the owner. If they can do without him then keep his head down and stay quiet until he gets enough side clients to start up full time. Miket can make that call.

Comment

Would it be possible to talk to your employer about you being their go to guy if you left and opened your own shop? Would you trust them? Im assuming they know you do sideline work..

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
            Would it be possible to talk to your employer about you being their go to guy if you left and opened your own shop? Would you trust them? Im assuming they know you do sideline work..
            His side job is more than likely at the root of the issue. Never met an owner happy with an employee being in potential competition.

Javi

Comment

Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by junkmanhunter View Post
                Yes. I have thought quite a bit about it. They do not currently know. I do have a bit of concern that they may find out. I dont think they would get too upset because we are not a contract machine shop, but I dont want to risk it. We only make parts for our assembly dept, we dont do any work for anyone else. So I am not competing with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                  I wouldn't stay at a job where my position was primarily a liability for the company.

The best is the situation where no one knows exactly what it is that I do ... but they do know they can't do it without me.

Is it a possibility that they could cut back on your hours to allow you to spend more time at your side job? That would seem like a win/win for the short term for both of you.
                  I have considered this also, but I am a bit worried the owner will get angry and fire me. Not real sure how he will take it if/when he finds out.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    What I did was the opposite. Everyone knew exactly what I did but they never thought they needed me until it was too late. No one ever budgets or schedules for survey until the job stops so all jobs become rush jobs.
                    To a degree I feel the same way. I am the only programmer, and have been since 2008. We have tried to get 3 other guys over the years to learn how to program but everyone only attempted halfheartedly then gave up. It is not rocket science ( far from it ) but it is a skill and takes a bit of effort that they dont want to apply.

Comment

One thing I've learned about being laid off, sooner is better than later. Have your conversation with the owners and fix it or #$% it up. Get it over with one way or the other so you can concentrate on moving on with your life.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        I'm with Rod. As your hours are decreased you will make more at home. Maybe work towards you doing the machine shop work out of your house for the company you now work for. Your in business, they still have a machinist for quick jobs, every one is happy.
                        Absolutely. This will be the plan if I dont have the guts to make a bolder step.

Comment

What is your long term goal, working for yourself full time or working for someone else?

Comment

I feel your pain.

Comment

Whatever you do make sure it's your decision. It will be the only one you can live with if things get tough

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                What is your long term goal, working for yourself full time or working for someone else?
                                Long term I would much prefer working for myself. I will admit I am not a risk taker. I am very conservative so it does make going out on my own pretty nerve wracking, but at the same time I feel like I have accomplished something at the end of the day. Working for someone is not fulfilling at all for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X