variable scopes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

variable scopes...

Just reading a portion of Jack O'Connor's book, The Hunting Rifle, where he's talking about variable scopes and how seldom that most people use the variability on them. I never really thought about it but I've mostly owned variable scopes on my rifles. And yes, mine usually stay on 6 or 7X. Use binos for everything else.
    How about y'all?

Same here.

Comment

Low power for walking around/still hunting and max zoom for stand hunting

Comment

4x 99% of the time, but adjust it to whatever power I want when I get to a blind

Comment

I tend to use the variable zoom a lot. Most of the time my hunting scopes, which are normally 3-9 or 4-12, stay on the lowest setting. There are 2 reasons for this. First is if I were to have an animal Unintentionally stand up at close range while stalking another I am at the lowest zoom making it easier to quickly get a good sight picture and possible make a shot. The other reason is once you glass up an animal it makes it easier to transition to rifle scope and find the animal. Once you find the animal in the sight picture you can zoom into your desired level. When shooting long range targets I will also use variable zooms to help gauge wind. Find target and range with recital at desired zoom, or require zoom if it is a second focal plain scope, then back off the zoom half way to better see the mirage to gauge wind down range. Variable zoom levels are one of the most under utilized tools shooters use that could make life a lot easier.

Comment

I use it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post

Comment

I use it quite a bit.

Comment

Jack would change his mind with today's scopes!! It voids the whole need for anyone even needing a spotting scope.

I love them...zoom it in to confirm age concerns / look for little kickers / detail the antlers at most any distance / etc. Outstanding tool & would rather have quality glass on a marginal rifle vs the counter.

Heck, I'm switching VX-6's on my 280AI this year...going from 3-18 to a 4-24.

The main thing is to remember to turn it back down when you are done checking. I've missed a yote or two at close range with the power setting not being backed down to the 6x area.

10x EL's for binos & long stretch viewing for eye strain.

Comment

I use mine all the time. Most of the time my scopes are sitting at lowest setting until shot opportunity arises. If I have time I zoom it in if not shoot at 4x most shots are at 4x or less on predators and on everything else maxed out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Jack would change his mind with today's scopes!! It voids the whole need for anyone even needing a spotting scope.

I love them...zoom it in to confirm age concerns / look for little kickers / detail the antlers at most any distance / etc. Outstanding tool & would rather have quality glass on a marginal rifle vs the counter.

Heck, I'm switching VX-6's on my 280AI this year...going from 3-18 to a 4-24.

The main thing is to remember to turn it back down when you are done checking. I've missed a yote or two at close range with the power setting not being backed down to the 6x area.

10x EL's for binos & long stretch viewing for eye strain.
                      So you’re aiming your rifle at something you’re not sure you want to shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        lol...all the time if hunting. EVEN at doves with a shotgun!! Don't choke on that one!! How do I know I don't want to shoot it till I'm certain?? Glad you are not in charge of any LE training.

"No pointing till you are 100% certain"??

I guess the thread about scope power is now going to turn into superior safety ethics?? Please friend, lighten up.

I keep a round in the chamber, bolt up & safety on when in the blind...I'm most certain any of my Jewell triggers are way lighter than you will ever use. I've lost culls cycling the bolt & think I have a clear understanding of stealth. I also point at all sorts migratory game, upland birds, quail, yotes, jackrabbits, hogs, etc. with a loaded chamber not certain if I'm going to shoot. Where are you taking me??

But, please do go on how this is so wrong as I'm most positive I'm the only TBH member doing this.

Comment

I also use it all the time. Predator hunting I keep it backed way out so I get a full field of view a lot of the times once a predator stops I’m able to hammer down on the magnification and pick my spot

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                            This.

LWD

Comment

variable scopes...

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post

Every time I hunt. Spring time before the antlers start to grow I may not even bring a pair of binos or I don’t take them out of my hunting bag and just use my scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X