San Saba Ranch / ABC ranch / www.sansabaranch.com a bad review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
    I just got off the phone with Richard's wife (Joy) and it seems there's more to this story. I'm not taking sides, and I won't get into he said/she said, but I am still going up there in a couple of weeks to hunt. She was willing to refund our deposits, but I told her our group wanted to proceed as planned. I will post about our hunt when I return home.

I did tell Joy that we did not want any dogs to run the pigs as we prefer to spot and stalk when we aren't in the stands and she's going to pass this on to Richard. Having the tracking dog to help locate a wounded pig is a plus and welcome that when its needed, but that's the only time we'll want a dog in the pasture. That won't be a problem.

I will say this; I've been there 3 times and have had a good time each time, like several other TBH'rs. We haven't all killed pigs each outing or trip, but that's hunting. I've never run into the owners' friend and hope we don't; I'd just like to avoid any conflicts. Our groups have always treated the owners and their property with respect, fronted the deposits like they ask, and received respect in return. I'm hoping that relationship continues.

I think it's very unfortunate that you discussed this and "got more to the story" from someone that was not there, and that we had not seen the entire time we were there. We never met Joy and Joy was never in earshot of what took place during the time we were there.

I guarentee Richards "friend" will not be there this time and I also guarentee that he will bend over backwards for you. I am sure that you are going to benefit from the way were treated. Good for him that you didnt cancel and hopefully he finds some hogs between now and then; even though he doesn't trap hogs in the summer yet charges the same price year around.

Let me say this now also; I would appreciate you keeping Richards side of the story to yourself. I know what kind of decisions he made that day and that showed me all I needed to see. So when you get there and he tells you that we were a bunch of trouble makers and somehow disrespected his property etc...Please keep it yourself.

So when you get back you go ahead and post what a great time you had and how they went of their way for you to make sure you had a great time and evryething will be OK. I know without a doubt that we made the right decision that day and I am glad that you feel you are making the right decision by going back.

This is said with no malice towards you personally I would tell it to anyone that was headed there, so please do not take it any other way. I mean absolutely no disrespect to you; I am not going to let what happen to us create problems for me with others on TBH. Like I said in my original post; I would want to know if this happen to someone I knew so that there would be no chance it would evr happen again.

Comment

olphart, you do as you please. we were not saying we had a bad time do to lack of hogs. that just didnt help matters. success at a day lease is not always measured in body counts. i have hunted plenty of much harder places than this. in the end though, when you have a "pen" designated for hogs, and advertise as such, you better stock it! if you ever want a real challenge on hunting hogs, let me know. i know several day leases that have much smaller success rate than this ranch, and yet have hundreds of more hogs.

Comment

I just got off the phone with Richard's wife (Joy) and it seems there's more to this story. I'm not taking sides, and I won't get into he said/she said, but I am still going up there in a couple of weeks to hunt. She was willing to refund our deposits, but I told her our group wanted to proceed as planned. I will post about our hunt when I return home.

I did tell Joy that we did not want any dogs to run the pigs as we prefer to spot and stalk when we aren't in the stands and she's going to pass this on to Richard. Having the tracking dog to help locate a wounded pig is a plus and welcome that when its needed, but that's the only time we'll want a dog in the pasture. That won't be a problem.

I will say this; I've been there 3 times and have had a good time each time, like several other TBH'rs. We haven't all killed pigs each outing or trip, but that's hunting. I've never run into the owners' friend and hope we don't; I'd just like to avoid any conflicts. Our groups have always treated the owners and their property with respect, fronted the deposits like they ask, and received respect in return. I'm hoping that relationship continues.
        Well of course they are going to go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of now!!!!!!! Atleast you used the story to your advantage.

I have communicated in some fashion with most all these guys on this hunt in at some point in the last year. I personally have met and hung out Erik, Lee, and Daryl. I can promise you that if I am getting the same story form all of them I will take their word as the truth. Hell if I got it from one of them I would. This guy sounds like a real winner and I hope he realizes just what damage he caused to his business.

Its no different then the guy in Wimberley/San Marcos area that sells day hunts. Anytime his name or the business name comes up on here there are 10-1 that say run the other way. San Saba is now going to be one of those places!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear of this story. Glad he wasnt a site sponsor!!!

Comment

I won't be hunting there ever,that ranch just got a no hunt from me,because here a TBH we all stick toghter.

Comment

Absolutely ridiculous, no way to treat anyone, let alone paying customers. Way to keep it civil boys.

Comment

My hat is off to all in your group. I figured as I aged, it would be easier to turn the other cheek and walk away from people that deserve an a*& whoopin' but, I find it increasingly harder to deal with blatant disrespect and stupidity as the years go by. You all are to be commended for sticking together and making the mature decision. Sorry to hear what was to be a good time with friends was ruined by the idiocy of others.

Comment

I hope you have a successful hunt there and a great time. Good luck to you!

There is not more to the story! Everything told here was the truth! I've been to the ranch before and came away with 2 hogs and had a semi-successful stalking experience.

Joy was not there to hear or see any one thing that went on in the 28 hours or so that we were on the ranch! Her opinion means nothing and adds no "side" to any story.

With that said, WE DID NOT leave the ranch because of lack of hogs! WE DID NOT leave because of the continued pressure to hog dog! We tolerated each hog dogging comment with a polite, no thanks, we want to bowhunt! Heck, we even said, Richard, maybe Sunday morning we'll run dogs with you, but for now, we would like to bowhunt!

The reason we left was because Richard's friend disrespected a member of our party, his "friend" suggested that one of us was homosexual!! This is fact and not an opinion! On top of that, Richard never apologized for his friend's actions and words, and he never corrected or remedied the situation to his paying customers! We vacated the premises because we were disrespected as a group! One of our friends gets called a name, we all get called a name!!

Again, there is NO other side to this story, and we did not leave because of any other reason, other than being treated with disrespect!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kunta's Pa View Post
                    Being a day lease owner I HATE to hear these kind of stories. You all sound like stand up guys and not sure if any of you have hunted with my son Skylar at the Diamond C but if your group wants to book a hunt with us, I will tell Sky to give you a 100 dollar discount per guy and if you don't see a ton of hogs and have a good time, I will refund all of your money. Doesn't help with the money or time you lost but takes the risk out of booking your next day lease hunt.
                    that sir, is a mighty kind offer. regardless of the money, im sure your lease will be in the discussion when its time to get another group hunt together. hats off to you sir

Comment

Originally posted by leebtattoos View Post
                      that sir, is a mighty kind offer. regardless of the money, im sure your lease will be in the discussion when its time to get another group hunt together. hats off to you sir
                      Ditto. Thanks so much for the generous offer. We know where to go next time

Comment

I would also like to thank you for the offer to come to Diamond C that is very stand up of you, and we will definetly keep you in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunta's Pa View Post
                          Being a day lease owner I HATE to hear these kind of stories. You all sound like stand up guys and not sure if any of you have hunted with my son Skylar at the Diamond C but if your group wants to book a hunt with us, I will tell Sky to give you a 100 dollar discount per guy and if you don't see a ton of hogs and have a good time, I will refund all of your money. Doesn't help with the money or time you lost but takes the risk out of booking your next day lease hunt.
                          Another Thank You for the kind offer. I have actually wanted to organize a hunt on your place! I would love to come and hunt hogs and black buck at the Diamond C. Thanks again!

Comment

To all that see me taking sides on this ordeal, I'm truly not. I was reporting on my prior experiences at this ranch and trying to get folks to consider there's ALWAYS two sides to an incident, one of which hasn't been told...and it ain't up to me to do that for them.

Joy called me after reading my post about cancelling our trip, offering to refund the money, and was obviously emotionally upset about all the comments. I didn't call her.

She explained to me that during the summer months, very few hunters book a hog hunt due to the heat. As a result, Richard does not trap as the traps would have to be checked and emptied on a daily basis. If he didn't, he'd have sick or dead animals to deal with. Without hunters, this would only increase his feed bill and selling them is not an option. Joy told me that they had two hunters during July. So, this appears reasonable, at least to me.

She agreed that their friend should not have made any comments to the hunters. He apparently has done this to their family members and they just blow it off. My opinion, and it ain't worth much, is that he was wrong for popping off to complete strangers and the hunters handled it right. But, someday, someone's gonna challenge his BS. And you are correct in that she was not present during the guys approaching Richard about this, nor was I. I don't know if Richard apologized for his friends behavior or not.

Again, the contact was not initiated by me, but I'm glad she called. It gave me a chance to hear her explanation about the number of hogs during summer months. It also gave me the opportunity to explain my group's opinions about not running dogs during our hunt. We just aren't into that and she agreed to relay our wishes to Richard.

I didn't mean to offend or challenge anybody. I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure what did or didn't happen. Again, the intent was for folks to consider doing some checking for yourself. If that's not what you want to do, so be it.

Comment

Here is something else I have a problem with, with this whole ordeal.

I know it's hunting, but most "Hog Hunting" leases are normally infested with hogs. Seeing them is usually not a problem. By reading some of the story, it sounds like he doesnt even have that many pigs on his place. I could be wrong, and could be reading wrong, but thats what it seemed like.

I have had some friends go to Diamond C and said they saw pigs every time in a stand.

I/myself have hunted this place www.bucknboar.com and saw pigs everytime in stand as well.

Hunting is hunting, but if Im paying for a pig hunt, there better be some sort of gaurantee, and **** sure not with dogs.

Comment

I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure what did or didn't happen. Again, the intent was for folks to consider doing some checking for yourself. If that's not what you want to do, so be it.

I wasn't there either, but i have spent enough time on this forum not to question those involved and how the story was relayed back to us. They have proven themselves to be a solid part of the tbh family & i think their main purpose was to warn their fellow brothers and sisters of how the owner had a lack of backbone.

yes, you will get the golden treatment because of the fallout but i certainly would not hand over any coin of mine to an outfit that insulted my amigos and didn't even have the cajones to set his friend straight. That is plain lack of character & I'm gonna roll with how the story happened with the eye witnesses i trust.

Comment

Working...
                                X