No announcement yet.

What I know about calling coyotes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got smarter!! thanks Texag for taking the time to share your wisdom.

KAC

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
      Ok gang, what is the best spotlight?
      We use a cyclops for a couple of reasons.
      1. you can get them at academy or walmart for $25 bucks, so if we have one break it is easy to find a walmart to replace it.
      2. We are pretty rough with our lights so while Im sure lightforce makes a much better light, we didn't see the point in spending that much money on a light that we will probably have to replace each year.

I recently purchased the XLR250 in red, I am anxious to try it out. If for nothing else to be able to better identify animals before shooting.

We also use the halo shield from Boondock outdoors on our cyclops, makes a big difference.

Comment

Great write up Jason!

Looks like alot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
          We always cover the windows and windshield of the rig with a black blanket to keep any refelections down and from spooking game.
          The covering the windshield is a great idea! Is it a pain to take the time to cover the windows? I know during contest you usually only have 24 hrs to hunt so every minute you aren't hunting decreases your chances.

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
          We shine withing the first 3 minutes of calling and then only every 5 minutes with cats normally taking up to 30-40 minutes to come on in.
          We have hunted in our fair share of contest and learned over the years to never turn the light off. As "wylie" as the coyote is, we didn't want to take the chance of a coyote being able to slip in and out during 1 of those periods of our light being off? I'm not trying to say your wrong for using the method you use but I am curious to know if there are particular reasons you do it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by TRB_Outdoors View Post
            The covering the windshield is a great idea! Is it a pain to take the time to cover the windows? I know during contest you usually only have 24 hrs to hunt so every minute you aren't hunting decreases your chances.

Ourt black blanket will cover the side windows and windshield all at once.

We have hunted in our fair share of contest and learned over the years to never turn the light off. As "wylie" as the coyote is, we didn't want to take the chance of a coyote being able to slip in and out during 1 of those periods of our light being off? I'm not trying to say your wrong for using the method you use but I am curious to know if there are particular reasons you do it this way?
            We came to the conclusion years ago that cats will spook if the light stays on non stop, we basically hunt for cats and the yotes are a bonus.
            Do we loose a few in the process? Im sure we do but how many do we gain by not spooking them with the light going around like an airport beacon? Its not a perfect science but its what we found to work the best for us and we consistantly kill lots of ctitters when others are struggling.

Now im not saying if your hunting a 10 acre field to only shine once every 5 minutes either, the time between shines to a point is determined by the size of the field. If its a small field I will shine more often and the bigger the field the longer I wait.

Comment

Makes sense!
              We will have to try that we have always had trouble killing more than 2 cats in a 24 hour period, this could be the reason.
              Thanks

Comment

Makes sense!
                We will have to try that we have always had trouble killing more than 2 cats in a 24 hour period, this could be the reason.
                Thanks
                Its worth a shot, we have killed up to 9 cats in a night using this method and when you throw in a few yotes with that you normally have yourself a payday

Comment

Cool write up..
                  I went on my first 'real' coyote actual hunt..where i was actually trying to call them in..not just shooting the ones that i saw...
                  had a older Hunter Specialties electric call with like 5 voices... and they seemed to really like screaming cottontail... although we did get some peekers with the jackrabbit in distress.... of course so did the hawks...
                  I have really crappy camera phone video of the electric call being molested by a hawk while three others sit in trees nearby waiting their turn to try to kill it.
                  Also got footage of a pack of 6-7 coyotes hunting rabbits in mesquite thickets on either side of the sendero.. be a dog or two in thicket on each side... 2 dogs in the sendero and theyd chase the rabbits out and the ones in the middle were supposed to catch them..
                  neat to watch... 700 yard shot...so they got away, this time...

Comment

Are you talking about a moving hand held spot light or red lights that are mounted and just light up an area?

Comment

1st thing that came to mind before I read Jason's entire post

..... location, location, location = set up down wind !!!

a coyotes nose will give you away EVERYTIME

for night time calling, I hunt over a LightForce walkabout 170
                      Last edited by Cajun Blake; 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Great thread. I've predator hunted for 10 or so years. Texag nailed the daytime hunting.

On how long to call, sometimes I'll call 10-15 minutes, sometimes 30. I had a coyote come in the other day at 22 minutes. Thats the longest I have ever had one take.

Night time, on spotlights brighter isn't better. Get a 250,000 candle power or so, with a red lense, trust me you will see those eyes lit up. Get a shroud to keep the reflection off of you. There is an exception to every rule, we try to keep them in the halo until ready to shoot. But I don't think it is real important. I turn the light on before I call and NEVER EVER turn it off. Keep the light swinging fast the whole time. Not saying Ol Thumper is wrong, there is lots of ways to kill animals. But I think you will miss a lot of animals by turning it off. I swing the light fast and by the time I make a round I've had lots of animals be 50 yards from the truck out of nowhere. If you have the light off for 5 minutes you will never even no they're there. I've had 4 different coyotes come in in 5 minutes. These animals below didn't mind the light running the whole time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bobcats.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24048300

Name:	coyotes 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	24048302

Name:	coyotes 06.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	24048303

Name:	varmint 07.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	24048304
                        Last edited by Hawkins; 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Great thread, Jason!!!

I'll second the LightForce light!

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                            Are you talking about a moving hand held spot light or red lights that are mounted and just light up an area?
                            Handheld spotlight

Comment

Success rate per stand is pretty low so don't get discouraged. I use a Foxpro FX3, and handcalls. I really like the primos cat nip hand call right now.

My favorite sounds are..

Old Johnny stewart cottontail duet, I recorded it onto my computer and put it on my foxpro.
                              Lucky Bird
                              wacky woodpecker
                              baby cottontail
                              dsg cottontail

I had a lot of success last weekend using cottontail duet for 10 minutes then switching over to baby cottontail.

Texag93, do you not have a lot of bobcats in your area? I don't use many coyote sounds because we have a lot of cats. I try to use distress sounds, to try for a yote or cat.

I've heard a lot about the pup in distress, and been using it a few times here lately.

Comment

Jason- quick question...

"I like to sit with the wind at my back or crossing me"

Why wind at your back, I thought it would be best for wind to be in your face.

Comment

Working...
                                X