Legality Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legality Question

Can someone LEGALLY kill a deer, get the meat processed, give the meat to a friend who then hands over money to cover the processing cost? Asking for a friend.

Not sure if if matters but let's say you gave the processor boned out meat so that a tag was not needed.
    Last edited by 44mAG; 11-14-2017, 03:47 PM.

Didn’t think you can transfer bones out meat? And selling game is illegal but paying for the processing should be somewhat legal.

Comment

I am not sure on the legal side of things for regular joe, but processors sell meat that is not picked up all the time.

Comment

Why don't you just have the person who wants the meat processed, take the meat to the processor? I've taken, and have paid for many deer that weren't mine.

Comment

Processors do take boned out meat. Hudson's in Austin charges $0.90 per pound to debone meat, so you can save about $50 per deer to do it yourself before taking it in.

Comment

You can sell venison to a friend. You actually can sell venison to the public too, but you have to have it inspected. You can't sell uninspected wild game that's actually the law.

but as long as you aren't making a business out of it or selling to the general public you are fine. it's the same as selling any other private property to a private party.

Comment

I just found this:

SUBCHAPTER B. SALE, TRANSPORTATION, AND STORAGE OF GAME

Sec. 62.021. SALE OR PURCHASE OF CERTAIN GAME. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (c), no person may sell, offer for sale, purchase, offer to purchase, or possess after purchase a wild bird, game bird, or game animal, dead or alive, or part of the bird or animal.
              (b) This section applies only to a bird or animal protected by this code without regard to whether the bird or animal is taken or killed in this state.
              (c) This section does not prohibit the sale of:
              (1) a live game animal, a dead or live game bird, or the feathers of a game bird if the sale is conducted under authority of a license or permit issued under this code; or
              (2) the following inedible parts:
              (A) an inedible part, including the feathers, bones, or feet, of a game bird other than a migratory game bird that was lawfully taken or is lawfully possessed;
              (B) the hair, hide, antlers, bones, horns, skull, hooves, or sinew, as applicable, of a deer, pronghorn antelope, desert bighorn sheep, collared peccary or javelina, red squirrel, or gray squirrel; or
              (C) the feathers of a migratory game bird in accordance with federal law.

So it seems that the only part you can legally sale is the non edible portions.

Comment

You don ot need a tag if you take boned out meat to the processor. Been doing it for years so processor can make my summer sausage. Have the friend give the money to the processor. Does not matter who pays him that way you are not selling..

Comment

I pick up multiple deer for many people and pay the processing, shouldn't be an issue on another paying for the processing.

I also bring all my boned out meat at the end of the season to my processor, in ziplock bags. Never had an issue yet.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                    Didn’t think you can transfer bones out meat? And selling game is illegal but paying for the processing should be somewhat legal.
                    Somewhat legal? Now that's a new term

Comment

Can someone LEGALLY kill a deer - yes
                      get the meat processed - yes
                      give the meat to a friend - yes
                      who then hands over money to cover the processing cost - Pretty sure the answer is no problem, but my opinion is just that. but who would know besides your friend and him? unless your friend plans to call the GW to witness the transaction

does your friend ever drive over the speed limit? Just curious...

Comment

Was reading through that legal definition section. Also spotted something that made me laugh. Mind that this is effective as of Jun 2007
                        Attached Files

Comment

SMDH.....

What the hell kind of question is this? I mean c'mon, if your friend wants to give his friend money to cover processing cost, then NO BIG DEAL... Now if said friend wants to sell to public without properly gaining the right permits/legal process, then BIG DEAL...

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                            Can someone LEGALLY kill a deer, get the meat processed, give the meat to a friend who then hands over money to cover the processing cost? Asking for a friend.
                            I believe that you would technically be selling the wild game meat. However, considering the facts mentioned, I would think a GW would have to be having a pretty bad day to write you up for it (especially if the friend pays you exactly the amount you paid the processor).

I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I am a recovering attorney.

Comment

This will help your friend avoid issues at the processor:

cricman

Comment

Working...
                              X