Old Farts Elk Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
    Ok Rick I am old enough . The pines in the red lake area has been killed off by powder post Beatles . So sad I could hardly stand to look at it. Don't know how that affects the elk but what I wittinessed last summer. They are everywhere in the state . Don't know why they don't address the the pest. More pines taken by the Beatles than fires. Oh Mr. Obama ,or Trump have not considered this problem. Locals are saying they will just get replaced by aspens. Well they loose there leaves in the winter , now you have half as much oxygen being produced . I don't get it. Arvin

I’m told that in order to kill off the beetles it would also kill off a bunch of other stuff that is good for environment. I agree that something needs to be done. Years ago FS planted a bunch on osier MT. They just skinned Neff mountain they may well plant it now that they logged the whole thing. The only visibly bad area is Trujillo meadows as far as beatle kill. Elk creek and wolf creek isn’t horrible.
    As far as the game is concerned I don’t have a reference to speak about any change, but there are still plenty of elk. There are also some great mulies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I turn 62 this month, recovering from 2nd and 3rd degree chemical burns on my legs that required skin grafts on both knees. Still planning on going to Montana in November to hunt mule deer/elk. My son and I always hunted together but this may be our last year so I will need some companions. Don't plan on retiring till 65 but i do have 6 weeks vacation. Did a drop camp hunt in Colorado back in 2015. Didn't see a thing but was one of my best hunts with my son. I'd be interested.

Comment

I love to hunt, but spending a months (or more) worth of income for a week of hunting has never made a lot of sense to me. Oh, I've done it, but money was real good at the time, and even then I regretted it later.

I'll most likely be limiting the amount I'm willing to be out turnkey to around 1,500 to 1,600 dollars, and less if at all possible.

Yeah, call me cheapskate. I don't mind.

Rick

Comment

Okay, Rick, assuming straight DIY in Colorado: how did you and your buddy get in and out and camped in the past? What would you feel the limit would be distance-wise to haul out meat on foot -- have to assume success, right? -- if not using a pack-out service or outfitter (for $500, prolly). A medium size elk may weigh around 500 pounds and over 250 pounds boned out, according to one chart I saw. Seems like the thinking has to start at the end, basically: how to get the meat out? Have seen ideas about it: game cart, make a travois, multiple trips staging it back and forth. Curious how you have done it.
          Last edited by tradtiger; 08-08-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cwag View Post
            I’m told that in order to kill off the beetles it would also kill off a bunch of other stuff that is good for environment. I agree that something needs to be done. Years ago FS planted a bunch on osier MT. They just skinned Neff mountain they may well plant it now that they logged the whole thing. The only visibly bad area is Trujillo meadows as far as beatle kill. Elk creek and wolf creek isn’t horrible.
            As far as the game is concerned I don’t have a reference to speak about any change, but there are still plenty of elk. There are also some great mulies

Um , elk eat grass so the beetle killed trees only help to open up the understory for the grasses to grow. Not one thing to do about the beetles once they get started. Very cold winters is all that kill them.
            Falling dead trees are the problem with the beetle kill.

Comment

TWP has a good plan. We have way less hunting pressure and plenty of elk. Wyoming is a farther drive than Colorado but we great hunting too.

Comment

Archery elk success is around 11% over all in Colorado. Some research I've done indicates that number is between 5&7% for DIY. Guided hunters tend to have success rates closer to 20%.
                I would not assume success. I would be more concerned about getting into an area with a good elk herd and fewer hunters.
                Getting an elk out is a lot of work. But with 4 or more people it's not bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cwag View Post

Pine beetle kill is actually a plus for elk and mule deer. Technically natures way of forest thinning. Old dark timbered pine forest are terrible. Go to northern Idaho or even Banff, see what no fire or logging has done. Dead dark moss covered Forrest.

Aspen has had a huge decline over the west, beetles knock back pine, aspen come back, deer and elk populations increase.

Burns are same way

Comment

Gary: I'm not assuming success as a given; simply wanting to discuss haul-out strategies when a kill IS made. No cart needed to carry out tag soup.

Comment

If you ever need a young strong back to help I would be interested. LOL

Comment

I'm interested, plan on retiring again in 2019 @ 69.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                          Okay, Rick, assuming straight DIY in Colorado: how did you and your buddy get in and out and camped in the past? What would you feel the limit would be distance-wise to haul out meat on foot -- have to assume success, right? -- if not using a pack-out service or outfitter (for $500, prolly). A medium size elk may weigh around 500 pounds and over 250 pounds boned out, according to one chart I saw. Seems like the thinking has to start at the end, basically: how to get the meat out? Have seen ideas about it: game cart, make a travois, multiple trips staging it back and forth. Curious how you have done it.

Well bone out lightens the load for sure , game cart if it will work ( some times the cart is way more trouble than its worth or a pack that is made for packing out heavy loads.

Its a bunch of work for sure . 4-6 game bags , several sets of gloves , para cord to hang it so bears do not eat it while you are walking out . I have small tarp , Lay them out to keep your meat clean and free of bugs and flies as you work . If you have no shade and its warm i would cut some brush to try and shade the meat some as well .

If you can hang the quarter that helps better again location will dictate that

I like the de bone method my self . 10-14 lbs per quarter that adds up fast , I also like the gutless method , I also skin in this process some do not I want the meat to cool down . It helps to have friends HA HA . its going to be a few trips and a very long day .

a de boned elk is also much easier to pack . Try to keep the weight mid way up in the pack on the bottom is hard on your back up to high and its easy to fall over .

Warm weather breathable game bag cold plastic is fine

Comment

Thanks, Wrench. Good info. That's what I'm looking for: how it's really done. Love to see others' ideas, as well.

Comment

Like to see strategies on DIY meat pack-out from any -- old farts, young whippersnappers, in between -- who have done it.

Comment

I leave in two weeks for a young guy who feels like an old fart elk hunt. Just got over gout, my hip is killing me, and my elbows are subject to blow any time!

Comment

Working...
                                X