No announcement yet.

I'm Done With Deer Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My family and I have always done our processing for generations now.

Comment

Spent the last few hours cutting up and grinding a deer and pig. Time to stuff my bags and vacuum seal backstraps and I'm done. But for now, beer break!

Comment

I started just a couple of years ago, myself.

Comment

We have bought a nice piece of processing equipment each year for the last three. Now all we really need is a vacuum packer.

Ponied up for a nice commercial grinder, slicer, and dehydrator. Commercial vacuum packers’ gunna run $1000!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grant, let me know if you have any questions. I started doing my own several years ago and while it is a lot of work I enjoy it. I make pan sausage, smoked link sausage, summer sausage, dried sausage, jerky, hamburger, and tenderized steaks for CFS. If you are looking for sausage seasoning, pm Cajun Blake. I've tried a lot over the years and in my opinion he has the best.

Comment

My BIL recent bill was $615 for one deer. He got back 140 pounds of smoked sausage and the backstraps were cut up into steaks and bacon wrapped. Pretty expensive eats if you ask me.

Skinny

Comment

I would process my own deer, but I cannot make sausage as good as Joe's over at Cinnamon Creek Ranch in Ft Worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                  My BIL recent bill was $615 for one deer. He got back 140 pounds of smoked sausage and the backstraps were cut up into steaks and bacon wrapped. Pretty expensive eats if you ask me.

Skinny
                  Must've been a pretty hefty deer. Even with pork being added

Comment

Started 4 years ago and haven't looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                      Must've been a pretty hefty deer. Even with pork being added

Yeah it was a good sized cull buck. I figured it would yield quite a bit, but not that much.

Skinny

Comment

I got a quartered doe in the cooler now icing down. Sunday will get out the grinder and grind everything except back straps and tenderloins and then freeze it in two pound increments. Make sausage or burger throughout the year as I need too. I'm not keen on making big batches.

Comment

Ive been doing mine for years. I hate to pay for it. But I have let a lot of deer walk because I didn't want to mess with them. I shot one this year and feel like I wasted a lot of the meat when I was processing it.

Comment

DIY is all that I know, that’s what Dad showed me when I was 10, so yes it’s the only way. I’m 56 and just made some hamburger for the month. Love it and can not amagin paying someone to not clean my meat and return someone else’s meat to me. Because you know you don’t get YOUR meat back, just saying.

Comment

DIY processor here as well for basically since the late 70s. Used a few processors here and there on busy years and just prefer to do my own with my meat and my recipes. Buy you a quality grinder once....one large enough to stuff off of .....and build yourself a smokehouse to cold smoke your sausage. Your brisket smoker will work but the cold smoker yields a much better product. Your first year's savings on 4 deer will more than pay for your equipment.

Comment

One buck, 400.00. Yep gonna figure this out too

Comment

Working...
                                X