No announcement yet.

Just ordered 40 Honeysuckle plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I have read the Japanese HS is the most aggressive and withstand the heaviest browsing.

Comment

The one in my yard was advertised as "Halls Honeysuckle", from my understanding this is a Japanese variety, I have a coral honeysuckle as well, the deer browse it some but not as much. From what I've noticed the deer hit it the hardest after a couple of frost, then again in spring with new growth.

Comment

I've read that honeysuckle can overtake native foliage if it's not kept in check. Any truth to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
          I've read that honeysuckle can overtake native foliage if it's not kept in check. Any truth to that?
          Yes, Japanese Honeysuckle is considered and invasive plant in some states. Never seen it become an issue with the amount of deer and droughts in Texas IME. We have native honeysuckle here such as White Honeysuckle(Hill Country) and it is not quite as invasive but still a top pick of deer.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
            Yes, Japanese Honeysuckle is considered and invasive plant in some states. Never seen it become an issue with the amount of deer and droughts in Texas IME. We have native honeysuckle here such as White Honeysuckle(Hill Country) and it is not quite as invasive but still a top pick of deer.
            Exactly. I wouldn't recommend planting this around your home or anything but for deer its a great chose from the research I have done.
            Last edited by BrandonA; 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I think what we have here is Japanese honeysuckle. Deer keep it beat down pretty good best I can tell. I have no science to back this, but there seems to be less of it around now than when I was a kid. More deer I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X