Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
    COUPLE OF HINTS:
    1) Build it very near your pond, if possible because it's gonna be heavy, when you're done. I had 3 friends come over to help me get it in my pond, and you can see how close I had it to the water, and we had no trouble with it. Or you could deck it after you put it in the water, but I opted for finishing it out before launching it.

Thanks. Building it with my Uncle in his barn with a level floor, electricity, and fans! We'll just put it on a trailer and move it across the field and into the water. Kids are going to go nuts over this floating island. And we'll fish near it when they aren't around.
    My fish love the shade that it provides.
    Please post up some pix when you're done.

Comment

I'm looking at doing this exact build at my buddies that I hunt, huge tank and desperately needs a dock of some sort. Did the barrels flatten out at all under the weight? I've read where they could under the weight and if the water is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
        I'm looking at doing this exact build at my buddies that I hunt, huge tank and desperately needs a dock of some sort. Did the barrels flatten out at all under the weight? I've read where they could under the weight and if the water is cool.

The barrels have 2 bungs; one with fine threads and one with coarse threads. I used silicone sealer on the fine threaded one and rotated it to the bottom. You could probably do without the top plug, if you wanted to, but I screwed it in loosely, and drilled a 1/8" hole thru the center of it. This allows the air pressure to equalize when you put it in the water. If you sealed both up, the barrel would likely collapse when it hit the cool water. I also didn't allow all of the weight of the wood, to lay on the barrels (I used jack stands).

Comment

Noted for future project. I'd have to put hand rails up on the ramp and a gate to keep the cows off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
            12'x12' or 10'x14'. Room for kids to run & jump. Thinking now of 6 barrels and we'll just fill as needed for the height desired. Looking for black barrels that will be less visible.
            If my math is correct 6 barrels will float about 2500 lbs including the weight of the lumber. That weight would have the top of the barrel at the water surface.

Keep in mind that adding water in the barrels, while it does help stabilize the dock and lower the dock It will reduce the weight capacity.

Lumber on a 12 x 12 is approx. 900 to 1000lbs

The barrel the op put under the walkway is a must. we built a dock 5 years ago and found out the hard way.
            Last edited by pyrobow; 06-29-2017, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I saw numbers ranging from 450 - 475 lbs of floatation per barrel, when I researched the internet before building my dock. I knew that 8 barrels were more than I'd need, but they were available for free, so I figured, why not over- engineer it?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                I saw numbers ranging from 450 - 475 lbs of floatation per barrel, when I researched the internet before building my dock. I knew that 8 barrels were more than I'd need, but they were available for free, so I figured, why not over- engineer it?
                I think you did great. More is better. The more flotation you have on the edge the better. Also more on the opposite side the better, as long as they are attached.

Comment

Fine Job, Sir!

Already looking for barrels! HAH

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Good Job!

If you haven't already decided to do it, a couple of benches one on each side would be nice for sitting on.

Comment

Turned out good

Comment

Very nice build. There are hundreds of these on ytube. My plans are to be able to place a small trolling motor on it to move it to the deepest part of my pond so the grandchildren can dive off of it. I’ll need to attach it to my existing narrow 5’ wide pier in a manner that it can easily be disconnected.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Going to do the same thing when lumber prices come down. Also trying to find barrels at a decent price or free like you got. Nice build.

Comment

Working...
                                X