Another bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another bad experience

I will try and keep this short. Opening morning about 8:20 a heavy horned 6 point and a nice 8 point (one I have been eyeing from trail cam pictures) walk to the feeder. The 8 point immediately presents a quartering away shot at 15 yards after he jumped into the feeder pen. I set the pin directly behind his front shoulder and release I hear a loud thwack and see the arrow hit him probably 3 inches higher than I wanted and right behind the shoulder (or at least I thought). The placement looked very similar to many LDPs I see on this site. Needless to say the arrow and slick trick only penetrated 3-4 inches and broke off in the pen. After a couple of hours of looking with 4 people we found zero blood….not even a drop even though we knew the direction and could follow his tracks for the first 30-40 yards and there are lots of limestone rocks that easily show blood.

I am very frustrated because the last thing I want to do in injure a deer and I try to be very deliberate in taking only quality shots, but this makes the 2nd time in 4 years that I have injured or non-recovered a buck with very similar circumstances. The only difference is last time I was using rage and have now switched to Slick Tricks.

What am I doing wrong?
    Attached Files

You aren't doing anything wrong. He probably ducked and you lodged the arrow under the backbone but above the vitals and he snapped the arrow with his shoulder blade when he ran. I doubt that it was a fatal shot and I would bet that someone sees that deer again. Sorry for the loss but it happens to everyone and if hasn't happened to you then it will if you shoot enough stuff with your bow. No worries. Just try again and aim a little lower. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
      You aren't doing anything wrong. He probably ducked and you lodged the arrow under the backbone but above the vitals and he snapped the arrow with his shoulder blade when he ran. I doubt that it was a fatal shot and I would bet that someone sees that deer again. Sorry for the loss but it happens to everyone and if hasn't happened to you then it will if you shoot enough stuff with your bow. No worries. Just try again and aim a little lower. Good luck.
      Well said

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
        That's what I believe too. You may see this deer at your feeder again in a couple of weeks ... very hungry. Good luck on the rest of your season. God bless.

Comment

I hit a deer like this a few years ago and it actually knocked him off his feet! Long story short no blood, no recovery, and he was seen again healthy a few weeks later. I know it sucks but I wouldn't sweat it.

Comment

Opening weekend

Same exact thing happened to me shooting at an Axis buck opening day. left the stand with a broken arrow and a broken heart...

We'll get em next time brotha!
            Attached Files

Comment

I really hope he is still alive. Even if I don't get another shot at him it will make me feel a lot better if I get a trail cam pic of him.

Comment

Yea don't feel bad. I did the same thing last season with a 155" 11 pt. Hit him just a little high, fell to the ground and got back up and took off.
                We followed blood for 14 hours and 3/4 of a mile when the blood just... stopped. Looked again the next morning with no luck.
                He started showing back up on cameras 2 weeks later and was shot over Thanksgiving weekend by another lease member. Would have been my first bow buck and biggest buck period.

-Hi. My name is Chris and I'm addicted to Tapatalk.

Comment

Thanks for the positive responses. I guess time will tell.

Comment

Thats one of the reasons I don't like quartering shoots. I'll bet he shows back up.

Comment

keep ur head up. take enough shots it will happen

Comment

Working...
                      X