Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Trailer Tailgate that converts to ramps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Trailer Tailgate that converts to ramps.

I bought a new trailer a month ago and I needed a tailgate as well as some ramps for loading the Ranger/4 Wheelers.

I didn't want one of those hinged type gates because they always seem to get bent and cause wind drag.

So I did a little googling and found someone that had a similar idea.

Each ramp will attach to side slots of the trailer with threaded bolts, the middle tabs (lip) will have a hitch pin and lock to hold the ramps together in the middle. I will also run two bolts through the bottom side of each ramp that slide into the lip rail where the ramps lean on when in use.

Each ramp is 40" long and 15" wide, they are a tad steep but shouldn't be a problem for the Ranger to clear.

I will post pictures of the final product once completed.
    Attached Files

Hitch pin and Bolts.
    Attached Files

Comment

nice

Comment

Nice. I just made a bifold ramp. I’ll post pics later.

Comment

That's pretty slick.

Comment

I like that! Nice to not have a big gate to drop each time

Comment

Nice job! I hate the fold down gates as well. My 6x12 trailer has the ramps built into the sides of the trailer in front of the axle. I use a basic 2x12 as the tailgate.

Comment

I have ramps like those and they store underneath .I've also been wanting to make a tailgate.This is genius and what I'm going to do with mine.

DJ

Comment

I've got a 14ft w rear gate, side entry ramps that act as the side rails, and just did a 4inch lift to. Sits perfecto on my new 250. Il try to post pics but I'm terrible at it

Comment

Finished product and I'm very happy with the final results.

A fresh coat of Rattle Can Bed liner spray sure makes them look good.

I added (2) 3/8 carriage bolts to each ramp.

The 3/8" nuts fit perfectly in the groove rail where the lip of the ramps lean on when in use. These should help keep any rattling to a minimum.

I also added a locking hitch pin which should deter anyone looking to steal the ramps.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice

Comment

nice build!
                        id make a suggestion- replace those bolts with a few of these weld on spring type pins
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                          nice build!
                          id make a suggestion- replace those bolts with a few of these weld on spring type pins
                          That is a great Suggestion! I will search these out and add when I have some time. Thanks for the idea!!

Comment

Ingenious idea, and very nice build. Now, you've got me thinking about what to do, with the big fold down tailgate/ramp on my 7x12 trailer. That sucker really catches the wind.

Comment

Love it!! May be a few years, but just went on my to do list lol

Comment

Working...
                              X