Jagdterrier vs patterdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jagdterrier vs patterdale

I'm looking on information on these 2 breeds of dog. I'm looking for a dog I can blood track with also do some squirrel and varmint hunt with. Any information would be great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I have a jagd. She is beyond pycho when it comes to squirrels. She drives me crazy always trying to get out when squirrels come in the yard. She also blood trails for me.

Comment

In a nutshell:
      Jagd is a versatile breed and will have more nose
      Patt is more specialized for earth work

Comment

Do they make good family dogs? What about little traveling companions?

Comment

I have one that is about 4 months old.
          started her at 8 weeks on fake blood trails and she followed the first one like she had been doing it all her life.
          Put her on her first real track at 12 weeks old and she sorted it out with only a couple of missed turns from running it to fast.
          Now at 4 months she has worked 6 real traqcks from 100 yards up to about a half mile.
          So far she is 100%.
          So far I have not had one that was not dead at the end of the track but I can't wait to turn her loose to catch a live one.
          As stated above..... She is a Pycho and will attack anything absolutely no fear

Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	24506717

Comment

I have a Jagd and a buddy has a Patterdale. I don't think you will find a better dog for what you want than a Jagd. They will hunt, and blood track as good as any dog. My Jagd has bayed up 150+ hogs. I will say if you want to use them for hog hunting as well the Patterdale is a little more vicious on a hog. Both are relentless when it comes to hunting. My personal choice is the Jagd.

Comment

Mine is great with the family, but very jealous of the other dogs. I have to stay on her about that. She has to be exercised, because of her energy level. I got my jagd from Dustin on tbh. He told me they don't back down and he told me right. If she ties up in a fight, it is on. She travels great in the truck and at the ranch she is always ready to go in the ranger. Her spot is on the front rack. Cool little dogs ,but definitely do your homework on them. They can and probablywill be a handful.

Comment

Back in Scotland we had both Patterdale ( Fell ) and Jack Russell terriers.

Both were great around the family. When these went to ground the Patterdale flipped a switch and went to work mode instantly and was fearless compared to the Russell.

In my option you have to be more aware and two steps ahead if you own a Patterdale. Great little dogs but only one second away from Hunt mode.

Comment

patterdale vs boar

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                    I have one that is about 4 months old.
                    started her at 8 weeks on fake blood trails and she followed the first one like she had been doing it all her life.
                    Put her on her first real track at 12 weeks old and she sorted it out with only a couple of missed turns from running it to fast.
                    Now at 4 months she has worked 6 real traqcks from 100 yards up to about a half mile.
                    So far she is 100%.
                    So far I have not had one that was not dead at the end of the track but I can't wait to turn her loose to catch a live one.
                    As stated above..... She is a Pycho and will attack anything absolutely no fear

[ATTACH]868304[/ATTACH]

Buff,
                    Where did you get her?
                    Last edited by DirtyDave; 08-15-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Both of these little dog sound like what I'm looking for. The jagdterrier look to have longer hair then the Patterdale. Do they do Ok in the texas heat?

Comment

Originally posted by gator255 View Post
                        Both of these little dog sound like what I'm looking for. The jagdterrier look to have longer hair then the Patterdale. Do they do Ok in the texas heat?

They come in both smooth and rough coats. They do fine either way. Lots of jagds in texas

Comment

Jagdterrier Breed Club puts on a Terrier Trial event twice a year in Tyler TX. Every April and October.
                          Next one is Oct 13-15
                          Come and check it out, whether you have a Jagd or not. It's a good time and good dog men

Comment

Mine has a smooth coat. No issues out here.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                              Jagdterrier Breed Club puts on a Terrier Trial event twice a year in Tyler TX. Every April and October.
                              Next one is Oct 13-15
                              Come and check it out, whether you have a Jagd or not. It's a good time and good dog men
                              Oh hell yea I will. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X