Tiger Woods: Does Anybody Even Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
    He was driving the golf ball 350 with equipment 15 years ago, so yeah he would've won a lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He never came close to averaging 350 yards...

Comment

No question, Tiger transcended the game of golf during his prime. Does golf need him back? Perhaps and it would no question give provide a nice up-tick in ratings for the short-term. The problem is, if Tiger came back and missed the cut or was never really in the mix in most tournaments, ratings would eventually fall. History points to golf and even tennis to an extent to have some their highest ratings during times of dominance by single or very few players.

With that said, it's simply convenient to blame all of the current golfing industry struggles on the lack of Tiger Woods. Sure, Nike will no longer be making clubs and balls. Well, fact of the matter is, Nike clubs never really did take off, even while Tiger was playing. They entered a market that was already saturated with many name brands that have been around for a very long time. Tiger Woods or not, Nike was never going to overtake Titleist, Ping, Taylormade, Calloway, etc in the club business.

As for lack of youth involvement. What about the lack of access? Heck, in my area in Houston, I'd say there have been more Public golf courses closed in the last decade than new courses opened. Most of these closures were due to selling out real estate for other residential uses. The game is expensive to play as well. I was afforded access to golf at an early age as we lived very close to a cheap, 9 hole municipal course.

Oh well, golf will survive one way or another. Like any other sport, there are ups and downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
        He was doing that because of his talent, not his equipment.

No ****

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
          He never came close to averaging 350 yards...

Go back and watch his rounds, he was driving the golf ball close to 350, that low stinger would roll

Comment

Tell me again how his divorce effected anything in his golf game?

He's missed years of playing time because of all of these injuries, it might've effected him a little but take away 50% of these injuries and it's still more than most professional golfers will ever have

It affected his mental game....forget his long drives, his amazing chips, iron game, and think about the amount of ridiculous putts he used to make.

None of those things he injured should affect his putting abilities.

Comment

Golf is more fun to watch when Tiger is in the mix

Comment

Go back and watch his rounds, he was driving the golf ball close to 350, that low stinger would roll

Look at the stats man...his best average driving distance was 303 yards. Did he hit some 350 yards bombers, yes. Shoot he hit one in Hawaii that was like 425 yards or something crazy, but to say he always hit it 350 yards is ridiculous.

Comment

It affected his mental game....forget his long drives, his amazing chips, iron game, and think about the amount of ridiculous putts he used to make.

None of those things he injured should affect his putting abilities.

Not being able to play, that's what disrupts sharpness and mental focus, sure it effected him a lil bit but his injuries effected with his mental game more than anything, you lose a lot of feel

Comment

Two weeks ago the Waste Management Open in Phoenix set an all time 1 day attendance record of 204,000 with an estimated 700,000 total attendance for the event. Without Tiger...
                    I understand what Tiger did for the game but let's give him a spot next to Faldo in the booth.
                    And BTW, Jordon just won his 9th last weekend at 23 years of age. Guess how old Tiger was when he did it? That's right 23. Jordon also has 2 Majors to his credit so I don't think its safe to say Jordon can't match or beat Tigers records. I think it is safe to say Jordon will not change the game the way Tiger did. Tiger was something special, and African American to boot. They are two different personalities and players on the course. I don't think Jordon will ever have to be told to stop screaming the Lord's name in vein every time he misses a put.

One thing for sure, Jack's records are safe as far as Tiger is concerned...

Comment

Look at the stats man...his best average driving distance was 303 yards. Did he hit some 350 yards bombers, yes. Shoot he hit one in Hawaii that was like 425 yards or something crazy, but to say he always hit it 350 yards is ridiculous.
                      did I say he hit the golf ball 350 continuously? no I didn't, but he would roll one out 350 almost every tournament, quit reaching

Comment

Not being able to play, that's what disrupts sharpness and mental focus, sure it effected him a lil bit but his injuries effected with his mental game more than anything, you lose a lot of feel

The guy has a 9 hole course in his back yard. Do you really think when he had these injuries that he just sat back and had surgery, went to therapy, and didn't touch a club?

Comment

Tiger was the man. He intimidated his opponents into submission. He was a freaking machine that could make any clutch putt, chip in on you, knock it stiff from the woods. It was truly amazing. I'm not sure there has been a more dominate figure in sports in my lifetime. MJ is close. Maybe Tyson before he got into raping?

Then that faithful night his hot wife found out he was tagging all the waffle house waitresses and hit him in the head with a nine iron. That was it. She tore off his cape and he was never the same. Not even close. Everyone, including himself found out that he was not super human.

Comment

did I say he hit the golf ball 350 continuously? no I didn't, but he would roll one out 350 almost every tournament, quit reaching
                            I'm reaching? Okay. Show me the stats where "almost" every tournament he rolled one out to 350 yards.

Comment

The guy has a 9 hole course in his back yard. Do you really think when he had these injuries that he just sat back and had surgery, went to therapy, and didn't touch a club?

Well I guess you've never played competitive golf, I played on the NTPGA for 3 years, it doesn't matter how much you practice, playing in competitive golf is different animal compared to tournament play. It's a different tone, lack of tournament play is clearing showing its side now for tiger , you forget out to grind and score.

Comment

In his prime, Nobody beat Tiger and Nike Golf, except his wive, however, with a Nike.

Comment

Working...
                                X