Cottonseed Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed Help

I know there’s a lot of info on cottonseed. I did a search and didn’t find what I’m looking for. We have an opportunity to get 24 tons delivered for $4000. So, here’s the backstory. We’re on 600 acres in the hill country (Comal County). We’re surrounded by small acreage. We have 6 guys on the lease, “bowhunting preferred”. Is the out of pocket for cottonseed worth it on a place this size? Would 600 acres worth of hill country deer (population wise) be able/willing to eat that much cottonseed? Would it just be easier to parlay that money into a bigger/better lease to try to find the quality we’re looking for? Or should we just stick to individual protein feeders at each spot?

That is a lot of feed for a place that size especially if they haven’t had it before

Comment

I think that’s too much. You only want to feed it from now to the end of September.

Comment

First, it is a lot of feed. I know central Texas deer density is high, but if they haven’t eaten it before, it could take them a while to take to it. Going thru that much feed in a year would be difficult.

Second, cotton seed really helps the animals put fat back on their bodies. It doesn’t provide the trace minerals and vitamins that protein does, which also aide in antler development.

And finally, no matter what you feed, it will take years to see results as it relates to antler quality. So if you are looking for a quick improvement in quality, i would look at a different region/lease in an area known for bigger better antler genetics.

Comment

For me, I’d prefer protein. That’s a lot of money for essentially what protein will accomplish. As stated above, they’ve never eaten it before, but protein they have. I’d roll with Antler Max, if it were me.

Comment

Too much. You would have to put out +/- 1,300 pounds every week

And with small neighbors it would probably only work good if you fed mainly in the center of the property and kept the center a quiet zone.

10 tons may even be too much. But they do like to eat it so I don't think 10 tons would have that much waste.. That's if you have a lot of deer to eat it.

Comment

It seemed like an awful lot to me. We have never fed cottonseed. I think the goal of the lease boss is to try to keep the deer on the ranch and out of the small acreage, while adding the benefit of added body and antler growth.

Comment

you can buy 8-9 tons and have more than enough for that ranch. find someone to take the rest. I have purchase a truck of 12 tons and a truck of 16 tons. first truck was 205 a ton delivered last batch was 240 a ton delivered.

Comment

We pay $167 a ton and $60 delivery fee. I’d say 24 tons is too much for 600acres, would go half that.

Comment

Do y'all guys know anywhere around San Antonio to buy cottonseed?
                    Thanks,

Comment

You can contact Cape and Sons out of Abilene and they can locate some close to you...most places will have a minimum amount of 10 tons for delivery, we buy it 10 tons per time. Less than $200 per ton....you dont need to use it all in one year...it will last without covering it....we put a pen around it to keep livestock out of it....

Comment

Working...
                      X